Who will be Brechin's first?

Brechin's first win?  

319 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Maybe, Aitken is still with Dumbarton though, him and Hopkin are mentioned every time a managerial position becomes available.

I bet if Aitken took us up to the Premiership* any May, he wouldn't be our manager come the August, though.

*Hypothetical, he never will.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

When you consider that comparable permadiddy outfits  like Cowdenbeath managed to not only win games but survive for a few seasons at this level on their two men and a dog support, the 'poor, wee, plucky village club' excuse doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. A team that looked hopelessly ill-equipped for Championship football in May, so they decided to add no players of note and hope for the best. Which is working out well for them. 

Easy words but did you really think this one through ?  

Where are Cowdenbeath now ?  They chased the dream and paid the price .  Next season they will most likely be in the lowland league .  

We have remained sensible , taken stock and will rebuild for a more serious go at it next season with a more substantial financial footing. 

That post just shows up your ignorance .   Some clubs learn from the likes of Gretna and Rangers  who live outwith their means chasing tainted glory ..............Others though ....:rolleyes:

Ah yes, because Cowdenbeath's squad was of course stacked with World Cup winners on megabucks wages - as opposed to just being a squad built by a manager who wasn't a complete clownshoes failure, and so identified capable players at this level. All of which have since moved on, which is why they've plummeted back to where they belong. Entirely straightforward stuff. 

There's a yawning gulf between 'doing a Gretna' and trying to win three successive promotions, and 'doing a Brechin' by failing to win a single league game and being an absolutely unsurpassed embarrassment within Scottish football. The vast majority of teams comfortably manage to live within their means and compete within those boundaries - and another part-time club is doing so in this division right now. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

Ah yes, because Cowdenbeath's squad was of course stacked with World Cup winners on megabucks wages - as opposed to just being a squad built by a manager who wasn't a complete clownshoes failure, and so identified capable players at this level. All of which have since moved on, which is why they've plummeted back to where they belong. Entirely straightforward stuff. 

There's a yawning gulf between 'doing a Gretna' and trying to win three successive promotions, and 'doing a Brechin' by failing to win a single league game and being an absolutely unsurpassed embarrassment within Scottish football. The vast majority of teams comfortably manage to live within their means and compete within those boundaries - and another part-time club is doing so in this division right now. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

You missed the point entirely there chief . Cowden overspent on a squad capable of competing in the championship at the expense of actually running their club. This is a more comparable situation to ours in that they gambled and lost .  Thankfully we have a more level headed committee who realistically knew that we were lucky to be promoted  and weren't going to spunk away a fortune this season unnecessarily . 

We all know we are punching well above our weight , it is only ignorant fools like yourself who seem to have a problem with that . 

The pleasure is all ours. 

In the very likely event that you complete the season winless, it should be treated as bringing the game into disrepute in the same was as if you had suffered an administration event and therefore you should start next season with the same punishment of a 15 points deduction to make it less likely that you could cause such an outright embarrassment again in the near future. 

26 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

In the very likely event that you complete the season winless, it should be treated as bringing the game into disrepute in the same was as if you had suffered an administration event and therefore you should start next season with the same punishment of a 15 points deduction to make it less likely that you could cause such an outright embarrassment again in the near future. 

That's a really good point. Brechin just chasing the money and making no effort to be remotely competitive is bringing the game into disrepute and shaming Scottish football. If bigger clubs did the same it would cause huge social unrest. Football is the country's national sport.

36 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

That's a really good point. Brechin just chasing the money and making no effort to be remotely competitive is bringing the game into disrepute and shaming Scottish football. If bigger clubs did the same it would cause huge social unrest. Football is the country's national sport.

I am assuming this is a wind up and not a serious point but I am nibbling at the bait.............

43 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I will nibble by saying that we managed a draw against United just for the competitive bit .  ;)   Shame on United for allowing this to happen ! 

11 minutes ago, OldRed said:

I am assuming this is a wind up and not a serious point but I am nibbling at the bait.............

If you were accepted into university and didn't turn up to tutorials or hand in coursework- just collected your loan/bursary- you would be kicked out well before the end of the first semester and forced to pay some of it back.

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

There's a difference between punching above your weight and not managing to win a single game. Which is why winless seasons are such a rarity. A shitload of teams have punched above their weight and managed to win games.

I agree to an extent here.  I explained our situation to your resident wind up merchant  that is not to say I am happy with the situation and only hope that with the couple of signings we have just made we can start to pick up a few points .  

12 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I will nibble by saying that we managed a draw against United just for the competitive bit .  ;)   Shame on United for allowing this to happen ! 

Failing to beat this United side in 3 attempts is embarrassing. Brechin fans deserve better.

I can see both sides of the argument. Before we got into Play Offs which had been our target it was well documented that club were in financial trouble. Had nt we went up club was gonna see drastic cost cutting. So first step was reach play offs and generate extra income.Then after reaching final most fans started thinking along the lines of (You know what let's win promotion and extra money and worry about championship later )
Once this was achieved we trimmed our squad and probably let 2 of our better players in Trouton and Hill leave . Fringe players also left . Isaac had already been signed for the 1st division campaign and I think Big Mcgeever was already to come in .Things were looking ok pre season but we were always needing a striker . It's now February and that's us just taken Mackin on loan .We ve tried to challenge by spending very little money .
Most supporters knowing the real facts have accepted this .
But on the other hand we also buy season tickets and travel to away games and some of us help out when we can around ground etc .
So I think that the committee should maybe give the fans back some hope by allowing Darren a bit of spending.
1200 of us went to Celtic to watch our team stand and stare at they re heroes run rings around them .Had we shown a wee bit more that day some of the 1200 may have became regulars .
We still have potentially 4 (1000 plus crowds at home to come ) the City Clubs doing well .So monies coming in .And there should be cash for next year so let's finish season by having a bloody good.

You missed the point entirely there chief . Cowden overspent on a squad capable of competing in the championship at the expense of actually running their club. This is a more comparable situation to ours in that they gambled and lost .  Thankfully we have a more level headed committee who realistically knew that we were lucky to be promoted  and weren't going to spunk away a fortune this season unnecessarily . 
We all know we are punching well above our weight , it is only ignorant fools like yourself who seem to have a problem with that . 
The pleasure is all ours. 

Did Cowden really overspend? I don't ever seem to recall them hugely spending outwith their means whilst they were up here. If anything a succession of utter shan appointments in Nicholl, Nish (a truly baffling appointment) and Fox led to their downfall. Nish in particular was an absolute shocker.

Whilst I didn't expect Brechin to pull up any trees this season to be without a single victory by February is an awful record. Bagging Adamson and appointing Murray is probably the best decision our board have ever made in my time following Dumbarton. I remember there being a bit of discontent amongst supporters when it happened but once Murray started racking up the points that was quickly forgotten about.

I've seen a bit of chat that the money earned this season will allow Brechin to compete in League 1 next season but what happens if you're promoted again? Another acceptance of relegation in order to accumulate money to for another shot at the League 1 title? If you're up here you may as well give it your best shot IMO.

I can't see Brechin winning until the final two games of the season, where a club might downtools, play kids or have reached their final position and rest players for either injuries or suspensions pre play offs.

They didn't have the same grit or determination they perhaps had previously, there defending last night made our defence look like a 70s Italian international defence..

Archived