Sons vs Livi

These games might have been brutal to watch but the games at Dunfermline and St Mirren wern't and it was the same players
Putting aside the fact that Livi's performance was well in excess of both, the main difference was that Tom Walsh was outstanding in the games you mention. With Froxylias obviously struggling, it has become apparent that Walsh is the only other player capable of creating things, and as this week has shown he can't do it every time. Stewart and McLaughlin also featured, and both are a considerable loss, so with Wilson and Johnston, for example, making recent starts I don't feel your comparison is altogether valid.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
18 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:
These games might have been brutal to watch but the games at Dunfermline and St Mirren wern't and it was the same players

Putting aside the fact that Livi's performance was well in excess of both, the main difference was that Tom Walsh was outstanding in the games you mention. With Froxylias obviously struggling, it has become apparent that Walsh is the only other player capable of creating things, and as this week has shown he can't do it every time. Stewart and McLaughlin also featured, and both are a considerable loss, so with Wilson and Johnston, for example, making recent starts I don't feel your comparison is altogether valid.

Walsh was dire yesterday, just kept running it down the wing to have the ball taken by Gallagher over and over

Having watched the full highlights (I missed the match) I was surprised to see that we had chances. Livingston were better than us but I didn't think they looked brilliant. Which leads to the biggest disappointment for me...

Every one of the goals they scored were so easily avoidable. You don't mind losing 4 goals if 2 of them are bullets into the top corners. We were down to the bare bones and Stevie admitted in his interview afterwards that, in hindsight, it was the wrong call to choose boxing day to play the game.

I'm not worried yet though. We all knew our squad didn't have lots of quality throughout. January has been vital to us in just about every season we have been in this league, this year will be no different.

18 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Having watched the full highlights (I missed the match) I was surprised to see that we had chances. Livingston were better than us but I didn't think they looked brilliant. Which leads to the biggest disappointment for me...

Every one of the goals they scored were so easily avoidable. You don't mind losing 4 goals if 2 of them are bullets into the top corners. We were down to the bare bones and Stevie admitted in his interview afterwards that, in hindsight, it was the wrong call to choose boxing day to play the game.

I'm not worried yet though. We all knew our squad didn't have lots of quality throughout. January has been vital to us in just about every season we have been in this league, this year will be no different.

I don't think the highlights truly reflect Livingston's dominance, especially in the second half. They were faster, fitter and stronger all over the pitch and they looked even better when they stopped being quite so direct. Thereafter, their passing and movement were very good, although we were guilty of lots of ball watching and not tracking runners. Having said all that, I don't think there's much doubt that the calamitous nature of the equaliser we conceded turned out to be pivotal.

I know that it was a heavy defeat and of course conceding the goals in the manner we did is disappointing and even concerning.

However when folk talk about how much better Livi were than us, how much stronger and fitter they were, we need to remember...

Livi are full-time. We aren't.

While it's not an excuse, far from it, it does have a bearing and would expect to at some point during a season.

If Walsh wasn’t so greedy wee would have been two up in the first thirty all he had too do was slip it to roy on his left unmarked but no he wants to fire useless shots away under pressure time to wise up and remember it’s a team game 

2 minutes ago, Rangeman said:

If Walsh wasn’t so greedy wee would have been two up in the first thirty all he had too do was slip it to roy on his left unmarked but no he wants to fire useless shots away under pressure time to wise up and remember it’s a team game 

Mods, plz

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

I don't think the highlights truly reflect Livingston's dominance, especially in the second half. They were faster, fitter and stronger all over the pitch and they looked even better when they stopped being quite so direct. Thereafter, their passing and movement were very good, although we were guilty of lots of ball watching and not tracking runners. Having said all that, I don't think there's much doubt that the calamitous nature of the equaliser we conceded turned out to be pivotal.

Interesting a fan from another team has brought this up, we're a good passing team yet in some games we just continually fire long balls up to our front players, against Falkirk a couple of games back it was murder to watch. We've done well with our direct play this season right enough but sometimes I wish we would just play it through the midfield more.

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Interesting a fan from another team has brought this up, we're a good passing team yet in some games we just continually fire long balls up to our front players, against Falkirk a couple of games back it was murder to watch. We've done well with our direct play this season right enough but sometimes I wish we would just play it through the midfield more.

I'm honestly not trying to wind anyone up or criticise at all. But whenever I have seen Livi they never blow me away. But in a very similar way to Morton last season, they get results. Even if we reflect back on the first game between both sides. We were very much in the game but Livi stole it at the end. 

If you are winning games and grinding out results, then what more can you ask for. There are at least 4 or 5 better footballing sides in the league (in my pinion), but if you continue playing how you're playing and more importantly grinding out the results you are getting - there won't be 4 or 5 teams finishing above you in the league.

I know it reads a bit funny but it is a compliment. I don't particularly care how we perform as long as we are getting results.

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

I'm honestly not trying to wind anyone up or criticise at all. But whenever I have seen Livi they never blow me away. But in a very similar way to Morton last season, they get results. Even if we reflect back on the first game between both sides. We were very much in the game but Livi stole it at the end. 

If you are winning games and grinding out results, then what more can you ask for. There are at least 4 or 5 better footballing sides in the league (in my pinion), but if you continue playing how you're playing and more importantly grinding out the results you are getting - there won't be 4 or 5 teams finishing above you in the league.

I know it reads a bit funny but it is a compliment. I don't particularly care how we perform as long as we are getting results.

You were better than us in the 2nd half of that game but we were def the better team in the 1st half. A draw would've been a fair reflection of that game but I've seen Dumbarton do that to us on so many occasions, nicking it off us at the end after we had dominated the game, so it felt good seeing us come away with an undeserved win for a change.

Yeah i'm not complaining too much on how Hopkin has us playing, the quick direct approach has served us well this season, we didn't play like that last season though and it was much prettier on the eye. Just in some games the long ball hasn't worked and I know we can play through the midfield and move quickly into attack that way too, so i'd like to see us doing it a bit more often. But yeah it is working for us and we're sitting 3rd so WTF do I know.:lol:

11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You were better than us in the 2nd half of that game but we were def the better team in the 1st half. A draw would've been a fair reflection of that game but I've seen Dumbarton do that to us on so many occasions, nicking it off us at the end after we had dominated the game, so it felt good seeing us come away with an undeserved win for a change.

Yeah i'm not complaining too much on how Hopkin has us playing, the quick direct approach has served us well this season, we didn't play like that last season though and it was much prettier on the eye. Just in some games the long ball hasn't worked and I know we can play through the midfield and move quickly into attack that way too, so i'd like to see us doing it a bit more often. But yeah it is working for us and we're sitting 3rd so WTF do I know.:lol:

Very true. That was a hard defeat to take, but as you say, we have done that to you a lot over the last few years.

I think it is probably a lot to do with the step up. Most people don't appreciate the difference from the league below and ours. Ayr United hardly had a massive turnover in players and likewise Raith.  Both seem miles ahead of the rest of the pack in their league but our most comfortable victory/performance for a couple of years came vs Raith in the cup a couple of months back.

I expect you will finish 4th this season in the end but there's a high possibility you will stay in the top 3 at the moment.

Archived