Albion v Arbroath

3 hours ago, scillybirder said:

Out of interest, what are the rules about players wearing a kit without a number. Albion subbed on a big lad late on with no kit number. First time I have seen this.

I think it’s one of the reasons teams wear numbers on their shorts, usually if a player has to swap a jersey for a blood injury they have a spare one with no miner but first time I’ve seen a sub come on like that. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

One of those which looked soft but seen them given, maybe if a couple of your players weren’t throwing themselves about beforehand it might have been given

correcto. thought it was a pen last night - not so much clear cut now...  might even outside the box ! :(

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Just enjoyed a 2 minute 30 seconds interview of Brian Kerr badmouthing the ref and Lino. Looked genuinely on the verge of tears

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Highlights show Bobby was clearly onside for the disallowed goal

Link to highlights, anyone?

correcto. thought it was a pen last night - not so much clear cut now...  might even outside the box ! [emoji20]

Why would Trouten throw himself to the deck tho when clean through? That’s what makes it a bit dodgy in my opinion.

Agree with Simon regarding the crowd. That’s very worrying for Albion

Thought we were as bad as I’ve seen for a while last night, but obviously because we were crap a few years ago I’m not allowed to question Campbell’s stupid formation that nullifies almost all of our better players and his bizarre substitutions. 

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Why would Trouten throw himself to the deck tho when clean through? That’s what makes it a bit dodgy in my opinion.

Agree with Simon regarding the crowd. That’s very worrying for Albion

theres defo contact. just not as much as I thought... would have liked to have seen the Victoria one in the first half also. 

Thought we were as bad as I’ve seen for a while last night, but obviously because we were crap a few years ago I’m not allowed to question Campbell’s stupid formation that nullifies almost all of our better players and his bizarre substitutions. 

Going by my workings

3 at the back = won 10, lost 2, drew 5

4 at the back = won 5, lost 7, drew 2

Taking that further on a points per game basis

If on average we played with 3 at the back the full season we would have 63 points, sitting 4 off the top of the league.

If we had kept the 4 at the back we would be sitting on 37 points, out of reach of the playoffs and sitting 7th.

Going by my workings;

Robert Douglas in goal = won 1, lost 0, drew 0

Robert Douglas not in goal = won 14, lost 9, drew 7

If, on average, we had Rab in goals all season we would be league champions with 93 points.

We'd also be Challenge Cup and League Cup champions and have a Scottish Cup semi to look forward to.

Is there not a case for saying that 3 at the back can often nullify our more attacking and exciting players but is more effective at grinding out results than the 442? I've not been to many games this season but after reading match reports etc that seems to be the mindset?

5 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

Is there not a case for saying that 3 at the back can often nullify our more attacking and exciting players but is more effective at grinding out results than the 442? I've not been to many games this season but after reading match reports etc that seems to be the mindset?

I agree with this.  As I've said before, I'm very much a 'score more than you concede' person than 'keep it tight at the back and nick a goal', especially with the players we have currently and the budget we have.

Regardless, we've been getting results with the 3-5-2, however it really pisses me off is when we play a defensive 3-5-2 without proper wingers which results in our front men drifting out wide and us offering very little up top. In these games we end up drawing 0-0 or winning/ losing 1-0 in absolute shitfests which are painful to watch for 90 minutes. The 3-5-2 with proper wingers, and the tactical nous to change it when required suits me fine. Our problem quite often is adapting to the situation, like last night where had 20 minutes of Albion constantly attacking Hammy down the flank as he had to stay inside to cover as part of the 3. We should have reacted to that before we went a goal down, but it took us 20/25 minutes to change Bobby Linn/ David Gold and to start getting Blair Yule covering further wide at set pieces which were being lumped wide to a man in 20 yards of space every single time. If we'd reacted quicker we may not have lost the goal, and last night could have been far more comfortable.

Going by my workings;

Robert Douglas in goal = won 1, lost 0, drew 0
Robert Douglas not in goal = won 14, lost 9, drew 7

If, on average, we had Rab in goals all season we would be league champions with 93 points.
We'd also be Challenge Cup and League Cup champions and have a Scottish Cup semi to look forward to.

Can’t disagree with that, Rab is the man

A better performance by Rovers last night but ultimately at this stage of the season it's results that matter. The manager bemoaning bad luck and refereeing decisions ( looked like a pen last night) only deflects away from the fact our defence cannot defend cross balls. An average crossball from a corner then up with a free header - Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt. A quick glance at our goals against column shows 73 goals( thats 2 goals against per game). Every team gets shite decisions and bad luck throughout the season but when you can't get the basics right in your own defence what hope is there?

After coming back from 2 down to beat Stranraer, we had 5 home games in succession to accumulate enough points to rescue our season. A return of, say, 7 points from those games would probably have seen us safe. We took one point. I've only managed to 9 games this season, of which we won one. At every game I attended, we had 4 or 5 starters who, quite simply, are not League 1 players. When it was decided that Darren Young was leaving, we should have made Mick Dunlop player manager.

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Joao is utter garbage. Surely back to the juniors next season.

A touchy subject on the Rovers message board- you are not allowed to criticise Joao. Been a better impact player than a first team regular. His best performance this season was against Lowland league opposition which tells its own story.

Archived