Albion v Arbroath

Actually think my beach towel is bigger, You would think part time clubs would do all they could to get games to go ahead on Saturdays, Income well less on a weeknight with smaller crowds and no hospitality and so on 

Be better off with paper towels.

I’ve helped put down Arbroaths covers before. Exactly the same as you’d get on the farms. Dunno how much they cost but they do a brilliant joab.

Brechin was like Siberia last week and the covers worked.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I wish the game were on, it's actually good news for us. We're struggling with injuries at the moment to some important players and we've got a couple of signings lined up for January, so it's much preferable for us if this is rearranged for February/ March time.

We can also join the Albion fans in having a whip round of our old dish towels (assuming that's what the small 'cover in the picture posted earlier is) to make sure the park can be completely covered for the rearranged game to make sure it's on.

13 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

Just to clarify my posting, it is the attempt which is embarrassing, I fully realise nothing can be done about the weather. Was the frost meant to leave the area uncovered untouched?

I suspect they've either not have enough covers (we borrow them) or enough volunteers to get them down, and have therefore prioritised the usual problem area in front of the Main Stand.

In hindsight, they probably shouldn't have bothered, but its a hand-to-mouth operation at Rovers these days (and has been since the summer of 2016)  led by well-meaning volunteers rather than anyone with great experience of running a club or even a business. I therefore find it hard to criticise them, as if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have a club.  However, I can see why fans of better-run clubs would look down their nose at us, especially as a previous regime spent substantial cup tie revenue (from Rangers, mainly) on running an operation we ultimately couldn't sustain.

Looking on the limited brightside, at least the news was out before Arbroath would have set off. That has to be the priority when playing teams from a fair distance away.

Oh and here's a [surprisingly decent] Daily Record article on the Thursday Club; many of these folks would have been on cover duty.

1 hour ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I suspect they've either not have enough covers (we borrow them) or enough volunteers to get them down, and have therefore prioritised the usual problem area in front of the Main Stand.

In hindsight, they probably shouldn't have bothered, but its a hand-to-mouth operation at Rovers these days (and has been since the summer of 2016)  led by well-meaning volunteers rather than anyone with great experience of running a club or even a business. I therefore find it hard to criticise them, as if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have a club.  However, I can see why fans of better-run clubs would look down their nose at us, especially as a previous regime spent substantial cup tie revenue (from Rangers, mainly) on running an operation we ultimately couldn't sustain.

Looking on the limited brightside, at least the news was out before Arbroath would have set off. That has to be the priority when playing teams from a fair distance away.

Oh and here's a [surprisingly decent] Daily Record article on the Thursday Club; many of these folks would have been on cover duty.

What about Inverness? Well-off club; match off. Dumbarton? Match off. 

6 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Yeah, that tends to happen in Winter. I suspect our game would have been off today  even if we had covered the entire pitch.

Makes you wonder why well-run Arbroath have failed to builld a wind-barrier to stop their games being abandoned. All that cash from Celtic cup tie too. 

Archived