Ayr v QP

I think Saturday shows how much we miss players like Geggan, Doc and Crawford. Having one not play is murder, but all 3 was hard because it’s 3 different types of style we missed which is hard to replace. Geggan is a warrior, digs in, gets back and is a threat on the attack. Docherty, the guy who can pull the strings and usually is the calm head trying to get things going after breaking up play. Crawford is the flair player, can go on mazy runs, take on defenders and has found his shooting boots this year. On Saturday we replaced them with Gilmour, Moff in centre mid and McGuffie (the one I’ll give least stick to for the fact he is the biggest confidence player we have and if it doesn’t work for him then it’s hard go get going) so it was a hard slug. The only problem I had was the balance of the team. A right side of Reid and Gilmour won’t work and you seem that at QP 1st goal with neither getting close to the player crossing.

Moffat, by Christ should have at least have had a hat trick if not 4. Not to worry, onto Fife next week where, like Arbroath, he loves a goal. The aim now is to go into the Stranraer game on the 2nd still 5 clear and I reckon that is achievable, but 2 hard away games coming up. Our away record this year however gives me hope, always more confident playing away than at Somerset.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:55, Hampden Diehard said:

Mortimer looking as exciting a centre as we've had since Longworth

You're the second person to make this bold claim over the last couple of weeks and it doesn't really add up at the moment, imo.  For a start, he hasn't even scored yet and in fact he has missed two sitters which would have put us 3-1 up in both matches. I doubt the likes of Brophy, Duggan, or even Mick Daly would have passed up those chances. He is doing really well in all the other aspects of his game and he is at last showing the ability that everyone in the youth set up knew was potentially there but he has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Longworth

Hat-trick coming up now on Saturday :lol:

10 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

You're the second person to make this bold claim over the last couple of weeks and it doesn't really add up at the moment, imo.  For a start, he hasn't even scored yet and in fact he has missed two sitters which would have put us 3-1 up in both matches. I doubt the likes of Brophy, Duggan, or even Mick Daly would have passed up those chances. He is doing really well in all the other aspects of his game and he is at last showing the ability that everyone in the youth set up knew was potentially there but he has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Longworth

Hat-trick coming up now on Saturday :lol:

I doubt the likes of loan Premier league players would have missed those chances too. Everything's relative. Mick Daly? Did he ever win a ball in the air? Poacher, aye. But you're right, it's all      about the goals.  

10 hours ago, The Spider said:

in the spirit of Christmas, how about we agree the following tweak....... Mortimer looking to be potentially exciting as any non-loanee centre as we've had since Longworth ? Works for me!

Agreed. Just potential, but the best we have at the moment.   The spirit of Christmas yet-to-come...

Hat-trick coming up now on Saturday [emoji38]

I'll give you Brophy. Otherwise, shut it, you! I'm trying hard to get myself upbeat.

11 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Mick Daly? Did he ever win a ball in the air? Poacher, aye.

He did, aye. Jumping to head on balls that were lumped up to him from the back wasn't his strength but he won more than his fair share in the opposition penalty box when facing their goal.  A couple of stonking headed winners away to Clyde and Shire immediately spring to mine where he rose above his marker. He was certainly a poacher but he had more than that. Remember his 40 yard chip against Annan at Hampden? There was also another goal at Broadwood where he was one on one with the keeper (after being fed through by Longworth) and he left the keeper lying on his arse after a superb piece of skill.  I'm moist just thinking about that one!  

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/media/video/497/

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
21 hours ago, Mick1867 said:
Hat-trick coming up now on Saturday emoji38.png

I'll give you Brophy. Otherwise, shut it, you! I'm trying hard to get myself upbeat.

About Queen's or life in general? :P

I'm sure the goals will soon come for him. If not, then we can always say we saw him score a hat-trick pre-season at Consett

13 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Mick Daly? Did he ever win a ball in the air? Poacher, aye.

I'm guessing here, but are you confusing Mick Hendry & Michael Daly?  I would have said that one of Daly's greatest strengths was his aerial ability, and I would never have described him as a poacher. Hendry on the other hand.............but still a legend!

6 hours ago, The Spider said:

I'm guessing here, but are you confusing Mick Hendry & Michael Daly?  I would have said that one of Daly's greatest strengths was his aerial ability, and I would never have described him as a poacher. Hendry on the other hand.............but still a legend!

Think I'm just getting confused generally.

Who are Clyde anyway?

Archived