Ayr v QP

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Strange to see some extolling the virtues of QP's performance - had a sizeable stake on an Ayr victory and, even at 1-2, was supremely confident that Ayr would win. Looking at the match stats throughout, Ayr always looked to be in total control even with a second string side out. Really sad to see QP toiling so badly this year.

I was watching it and there was nothing to be supremely confident about at 1-2, you just concentrate on your shambles of a club rather than winding up your bigger and better neighbours.

I'll wait for Wuffster' excellent quality highlights to see how wrong the QP fans and players were for getting upset about the challenge on the goalie.

That was not in any way a convincing win for ayr today (but I'll take it).

I thought qp played most of the football and we relied heavily on our outstanding strike force.

Shankland really is a delicious young man. But f**k do we need our midfield back. Big Adams did his thing but moff did not look good until he was moved back up front near the end.

I thought that our central defence looked composed until put under any sort of pressure - at which stage they crumpled like a Primark suit.

Mcguffie again offered less than nothing. Admittedly I don't get to many games but I've yet to see him have a good one (or anything close).

Anyways...another three points. Roll on next week.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That was not in any way a convincing win for ayr today (but I'll take it).

I thought qp played most of the football and we relied heavily on our outstanding strike force.

Shankland really is a delicious young man. But f**k do we need our midfield back. Big Adams did his thing but moff did not look good until he was moved back up front near the end.

I thought that our central defence looked composed until put under any sort of pressure - at which stage they crumpled like a Primark suit.

Mcguffie again offered less than nothing. Admittedly I don't get to many games but I've yet to see him have a good one (or anything close).

Anyways...another three points. Roll on next week.

We're crying out for Adams, Doc and Crawford with wee Forrest playing between them and Shankland and Moff.

What pissed me off todar was, it Boyle was fit to play, he should have started. For me that was a waste of a sub. Also, McDaid is such an asset and always seems to make a difference. Not a massive fan of Gilmour, but if he’s played then it has to be CM not RM.

Great highlights Wuffster. Not least for clarifying who scored our first goal. Both sets of fans disappointed for different reasons but any neutral would have had a great day out. Two teams going at it for the whole game. Credit to both groups of players. Felt more like a cup-tie.

Might have been only two on target for QP statistically but that won't include the two that were somehow missed from the goal line. Or a few others close by. We had more goalmouth incident yesterday than the whole of November. Hope Gus has realised that this is the way to play. Smaller players with ball skills do better with the the ball on the ground. Keep it up lads.

PS

QP MotM Davie Galt. Dynamite!

We were sitting in the stand next to QP fans for the challenge on Hart and could tell from here it was a foul on Hart. What a sensitive bunch.

I'll wait for Wuffster' excellent quality highlights to see how wrong the QP fans and players were for getting upset about the challenge on the goalie.

It wasn't the foul, it was the booking. The ref blew up and wasn't even looking at Mortimer. He then had a closer look at the goalie in 'agony' and decided then to book Mortimer. Ref's shouldn't be influenced after the event by players. If it was a bookable offence he should have gone straight to Mortimer. And for consistency, Shankland should have been booked earlier. There were plenty of other 50-50 tackles around the pitch when somebody had a hobble after and fouls weren't even given.

Glad to see the goalie made a biblical recovery in under a minute though. All's well that ends well.[emoji56]

Just now, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It wasn't the foul, it was the booking. The ref blew up and wasn't even looking at Mortimer. He then had a closer look at the goalie in 'agony' and decided then to book Mortimer. Ref's shouldn't be influenced after the event by players. If it was a bookable offence he should have gone straight to Mortimer. And for consistency, Shankland should have been booked earlier. There were plenty of other 50-50 tackles around the pitch when somebody had a hobble after and fouls weren't even given.

Glad to see the goalie made a biblical recovery in under a minute though. All's well that ends well.emoji56.png

I don't agree with the protection afforded keepers nowadays but it was a card all day.

I can live with a wee bit of inconsistency so long as the game is allowed to flow, nowt worse than watching a game stop starting due to the ref giving every little foul.

I don't know what you've been doing all season but I can't work out how that team is bottom of the league with 11 points.

56 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Glad to see the goalie made a biblical recovery in under a minute though. All's well that ends well.emoji56.png

I think it was more to do with the Ref was taking his time to decide if he was going to give out a yellow card or a straight red.

As someone mentioned before, we are top of the league and teams will be looking to raise their game against us every week.

We can only beat the teams put in front of us, 

What a run we are on though, with key men missing too, so we should all be very proud of what our team has achieved so far, especially when we think back to how we would crumble with those type of players missing.

Got to say that when the team is on it, it is a joy to watch and, even on a not-so-good day, still picking up the 3 points, happy days!

Our superior forwards basically saw us over the line, however the balance of the team was terrible and our midfield was non existent. It definitely doesn't work trying to accommodate Moore, Shankland & Moffat in the same team, especially when they get no service and just high punts from Rose and Adams launched towards them. 

We were crying out for a bit of composure on the ball and someone willing to run at players and I thought Forrest totally changed the game when he came on. Boyle and McDaid also made a big difference and the balance of the team looked a whole lot better. Moffat tried hard but it just wan't happening for him yesterday and his passing aside, I thought big Jamie had a decent game, however McGuffie was completely anonymous and Moore was also looking pretty frustrated with the lack of service. I also thought that the communication between the keeper and defence was at times shocking and Higgins in particular was involved in a couple of serious mix ups which on another day could have cost us.

As for Queens Park, well, I thought they gave 100% right from the off, they closed us down immediately and also tried to play football with their number 8 causing us lots of problems and thought he looked a pretty decent player. I also thought a yellow card for their big striker was fair as I don't think he tried to do the keeper but was just a bit clumsy / slightly dangerous going by today's standards. If they play like that every week, then they shouldn't need to worry about relegation.

All in all though it's another valuable 3 points in the bag with most of our midfield out injured and also not one of our better displays, so all augurs well for a quick return to the Championship next year.........

My view of the keeper / Mortimer incident was the the keeper raced out and flattened Mortimer. In today's game, it's still viewed as a foul on the goalie but never a card.

Mortimer looking as exciting a centre as we've had since Longworth and Galt is on fire. Slipping the ball between 2 defenders and collecting it was superb to see.

What a change in affairs from 3 / 4 weeks ago when we looked totally lost.

We didn't get the result that our effort merited. Every single one of the players put in a superb shift and can be proud of their efforts. They just have that wee bit of quality in the final third that will punish most teams at this level. If we can start to turn these performances into results, we'll have a wee chance. It's still going to be an uphill task to stay in the league, though. As always, an enjoyable trip to Somerset Park, even if the result was a boot in the baws. A proper old stadium and great place to watch the game. 

Archived