Refereeing Quality

yoyopack

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any examples and how you’d have/expected the referee to have handled it differently? It’s interesting I always give referees the benefit of the doubt as it’s really difficult to make a split second decision in real time (how much times do we watch slow motion replays to conclude our viewpoint) but this referee is always mentioned as poor?

What always struck Me about Napier was that he seemed to be on a huge ego / power trip and often added fuel to the fire ; I'm not saying players and fans are innocents and far from it as we can give refs pelters but I've saw guys trying to pacify things with Napier and the guy was a time bomb who nobody could try and reason with , I'm sure in one game I watched him a player tried to take a free kick ; he called it back ; the player had a grumble and got booked ; a guy from the opposition team actually said to Napier to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and the guy from the opposition got his second booking and was sent off because of it ; so rather than having the game flowing with a quick free kick that wouldn't have been a problem we saw a guy booked and an opponent bizzarely being sent off for sticking up for the guy trying to take the quick free kick .

Through my experience of watching him I just thought he seemed to love the confrontation and created havoc quite often

1 hour ago, boulderdomb said:

Do you have any examples and how you’d have/expected the referee to have handled it differently? It’s interesting I always give referees the benefit of the doubt as it’s really difficult to make a split second decision in real time (how much times do we watch slow motion replays to conclude our viewpoint) but this referee is always mentioned as poor?

There are plenty of examples, you just have to watch how some of the better referees deal with players and how they talk to them like adults. Napier was/is a ref who was always desperate to ref by dishing out cards. 

however we seemed to go through a phase a few years back where up and coming refs seemed to look at Collum as their inspiration, Dallas and Napier being two of the main ones. 

Napier is summed up by two of the main pictures on his social media page - of one is handing out a red card, the other is a photo of him with both fingers at his temple gesturing to a player - in are you stupid, think! pose.

And before you make an incorrect assumption on why I know this, as said, I have friends who know him and are connected to him which means people appear as 'people you may know'

Archived