Refereeing Quality

yoyopack

It's biggoted language, societies rules don't stop applying when you walk through the gates of a football ground. 
Hanging offence? No, but I'd still expect to get a tap on the shoulder from HR if I said it to someone at work, and as the players are in a paid position with the public watching I don't see why the same rules shouldn't apply. 
A card from the ref is hardly a life altering punishment anyway. 

Fair enough we will just agree to disagree , if in playing football and lying down after a tackle and someone shouts along the lines of get up ya faggot then I wouldn't be particularly bothered , would probably have a blast back and then move on , there's loads worse goes on out there , it's a man's game............

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, theshed said:

Fair enough we will just agree to disagree , if in playing football and lying down after a tackle and someone shouts along the lines of get up ya faggot then I wouldn't be particularly bothered , would probably have a blast back and then move on , there's loads worse goes on out there , it's a man's game............

See, I don't get the link between being a man and an entitlement to behave abusively whether it offends the target or not,  but agree to disagree as you say. 

Not aiming this bit at yourself but I'm guessing a lot of the people who are happy enough with that sort of casual bigotry would be among the first to decry OF fans for sectarian language. But really, you can't retain any credibility if you turn round and say sectarianism isn't welcome in the juniors however knock yourself out with the homophobia, racism and anything else that floats your boat.  it reeks of hypocrisy. 

There is no doubt that we all look at some desicions and wonder why! That being said in the main they do a really good job in difficult circumstances which is not helped by players trying to con them on an all to regular basis.

Before someone asks I am not a referee but some of the players and managers need to take a long hard look at themselves.

2 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

There is no doubt that we all look at some desicions and wonder why! That being said in the main they do a really good job in difficult circumstances which is not helped by players trying to con them on an all to regular basis.

Before someone asks I am not a referee but some of the players and managers need to take a long hard look at themselves.

All are culpable, fans included, in this “man’s game, anything’s fine cos it’s the fitba” baloney. 

The recent post about being able to let off steam after a hard week’s work typified it for me. Tripe!

3 hours ago, theshed said:

If youre going to send people off for shouting things like get up you faggot then we will end up with 7 a side every week , it's hardly a hanging offence , it's a passionate game and things are shouted in the heat of the moment , I dont think the guy on the recieving end of the faggot blast would have lost much sleep over it to be honest

Indeed, you might end up with "7 a side" initially , but the message would  get out that it was unacceptable, and it would soon stop!

So if someone calls a player something to do with being black yet they're white they should be sent off? I highly doubt it. Was the abused player a homosexual? The world has gone crazy. Seriously. 

I’m pretty sure if you said to a white guy (and I can’t believe I’m even typing these words) that “you went down like a n******” then you would be sent off too.

I would hope so.

So if a ginger guy is lying on the ground and his opponent shouts " get up you ginger c#nt " would it spark the same outrage as the faggot remark ?

Guaranteed that it wouldnt but it's just as bad for me ; the world's gone PC mad these days .

On topic with the original post I have to agree, I’ve saw some piss poor refereeing this year. A number of them not even have played the game doesn’t help matters. I witnessed a player being booked a week or so back for shouting at his Defence......

So if a ginger guy is lying on the ground and his opponent shouts " get up you ginger c#nt " would it spark the same outrage as the faggot remark ?

Guaranteed that it wouldnt but it's just as bad for me ; the world's gone PC mad these days .

Probably because in some societies and in this country in the past, ginger folk weren’t persecuted, flung in jail, tortured or even sentenced to death just because the hair colour they were born with.

Absolutely ridiculous argument.

Probably because in some societies and in this country in the past, ginger folk weren’t persecuted, flung in jail, tortured or even sentenced to death just because the hair colour they were born with.

Absolutely ridiculous argument.

I don't think it is as both are discrimination , chances are that the said player wasn't in any way gay and it was a throw away shout from the guy who shouted it .Whereas to call someone a ginger C#nt would be a factual statement , call it ridiculous if you like it's just my opinion , too many drama queens these days .........

1 minute ago, theshed said:

I don't think it is as both are discrimination , chances are that the said player wasn't in any way gay and it was a throw away shout from the guy who shouted it .Whereas to call someone a ginger C#nt would be a factual statement , call it ridiculous if you like it's just my opinion , too many drama queens these days .........

To some extent I do agree with you but you (and by that I mean everyone, including players) need to be aware that this is the world we live in.

By saying drama queens you are actually being offensive too.   

23 minutes ago, theshed said:

It’s not really PC mad 

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I’m pretty sure if you said to a white guy (and I can’t believe I’m even typing these words) that “you went down like a n******” then you would be sent off too.

I would hope so.

It’s hilariously mental the whataboutery the appologists come away with on these threads. 

Also, anyone who is even on nodding terms with normal 21st century social values or with an iota of decency in the way they treat others is a deemed a snowflake or part of the PC brigade. Basically the sort of folk who sit nodding in agreement when Trump says something offensive. 

7 minutes ago, theshed said:

What does the sexuality of the target have to do with anything? Does the public acceptance of discriminatory language not make football any unwelcome place overall? 

I heard a group of clowns call the young officials at last week's Vale of Leven Bonnyrigg tie "spastics" and "Mongos".  It's pretty obvious they were neither but would you want to take someone with a disability to that sort of environment in the future given how much it appears to be the done thing to talk like that? 

The whole argument boils down to basic respect and decency. 

What does the sexuality of the target have to do with anything? Does the public acceptance of discriminatory language not make football any unwelcome place overall? 
I heard a group of clowns call the young officials at last week's Vale of Leven Bonnyrigg tie "spastics" and "Mongos".  It's pretty obvious they were neither but would you want to take someone with a disability to that sort of environment in the future given how much it appears to be the done thing to talk like that? 
The whole argument boils down to basic respect and decency. 

To call someone a spastic or a mongo is a disgrace for me and you should be chucked out the ground for that , for me and it's just my opinion it's far worse than shouting and calling someone a faggot , have heard the word faggot being branded about lots and even as banter from mates to one another on social media , the words spastic and mongo should never be used at all for me .

1 hour ago, theshed said:

To call someone a spastic or a mongo is a disgrace for me and you should be chucked out the ground for that , for me and it's just my opinion it's far worse than shouting and calling someone a faggot , have heard the word faggot being branded about lots and even as banter from mates to one another on social media , the words spastic and mongo should never be used at all for me .

I think its pretty obvious to everyone reading this that you are quite "old school" when it comes to your views on gay men.

By "old school" I mean homophobic.

8 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

Agree with this. The top referees in the world are proven wrong by a fourth replay, from a third angle that is slowed down to the infinite degree.

These guys do a job for very little remuneration and despite what we all think they don't have a hidden agenda.

They all try their best and without them we would have no football. Move on and chat about something else. 

And to confirm I am not and never will be a referee. 

Archived