Brechin City v St Mirren 9/12/17

Another City performance that warranted more than we got, but ended up with zip again and we have to wonder whether our luck will change or if this really is it for the season.

Dods's tactics are to soak up the pressure and try to counter attack thru Isaac Layne who is really coming onto a game now and is a threat to any defence because of his strength and directness. It's a bit odd to see us playing like the away team at home but it has been quite effective the last two home games - except that we only took one point from the six....

St Mirren had a lot of the ball as you would expect but didn't boss the game. I had been looking forward to seeing Morgan but thought he was fairly anonymous. First goal came from Crighton - who had a good game otherwise -letting a long punt bounce under his foot. I was right down the far corner for the pen so didn't have a great view but my first instinct was that it was fair enough. Smith G seemed to go down about 30 seconds before Smith C hit the pen as well

For City, Layne's goal was a clever flick but the chance he had to put us 2-1 up was more straightforward. Samson got a strong hand on it but I wondered whether Isaac might have    been better going hard and low. 

Plenty of half chances shooting uphill towards the end of the second half but the best chance we had to get something was when Jackson (I think) hit the post in the last couple of mins from a tight angle. 

No-one went missing, again. Willie Dyer went off injured early but Aron Lynas filled in fine. Orsi, Sinclair and Watt all put in a shift to link up with Layne, and good to see Jacko back on the pitch. Once he's fully match fit that should give us more options. 

St Mirren fans made plenty of noise making for a decent atmosphere at home again. I'd have thought they will be very pleased with three away points given the performances. As for us, two away games now before ICT are next at the Glebe. Just need to avoid the kinds of humpings we've taken recently on the road to keep the confidence up

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well played today I won t comment on penalty as I was other end of pitch . But before we start blaming referees for our defeats our finishing has to improve . We missed a barrow load today . 2 great saves from Samson on half time kept it level . A bad goal to lose from Crighton s point of view .But we kept at them and Isaacs best game to date in a City shirt cool finish . Did nt think there was anything between teams and seen worse games .St Mirren s fans created a good atmosphere and were all decent guys to speak too . Jacko had a decent 10 minutes but he ll need to shift a pund or twa [emoji1]. Well done lads just unlucky at times That wins coming

That's the second time I've left a St Mirren-Brechin game this season feeling a bit relieved. Today's game just didn't suit our style/set-up at all. Brechin's high defensive line in the first half was preventing us from getting the ball into the attacking third. We kept pushing and eventually it was a defensive slip  that let in Reilly who finished well.

I thought we'd settle and expand on our lead but Brechin had other ideas and did well to equalise. Baird was caught out/outmuscled by Layne (who I liked the look of up front) and poked the ball past Samson. Perhaps there were some question marks whether Sammy could've done better but then redeemed himself by making two smart saves afterwards.

We huffed and puffed in the second half and it took a debatable penalty to  edge us back in front. I honestly thought the referee was going to award a Brechin free kick for simulation but I'd really have to see it again. Good finish by Smith and I felt Brechin fell out of the game from that point until maybe 10 minutes to go, where they looked like scoring on every attack. 

With nearly the last kick of the game, the ball squirmed from Samson's onrushing block to Jackson. He looked certain to grab a point, but inexplicably hit the post instead. 2-1 it finished which, biased as I am, feel was just about deserved. Brechin can, again, feel very hard done  by - how many matches have they lost by a single goal? It feels like a lot and three points seems a harsh return for this season's endeavours. 

So, another ugly win. One in a while is acceptable but it feels like it's all we're doing at the moment, which is by no means a complaint.

Credit to Brechin for a good performance, for getting the game on and for producing some quite excellent soup. Looking forward to our second visit in April already. 

So near and yet so far for us again. After a couple of heavy defeats, it's back to the familiar feeling of deflation after coming away with nothing when the very least we deserved was a share of the spoils.

Thought Isaac was absolutely superb for us today, where was this player earlier in the season? He's in such a rich vein of form at the moment and every time he's on the ball he looks dangerous - he's clearly brimming with confidence. Euan Smith had an excellent game in midfield also.

If we are to get our first win in this league we need to be taking the chances that come along and today we missed too many guilt edged opportunities. Aside from the goal in the first half, Isaac and Crighton produced good saves from Samson. In the second half Orsi, Isaac and Spark all missed clear cut chances before Jacko hit the post in stoppage time. It shows that perhaps we should have a little more faith in our attacking qualities and set up less defensively - we have nothing to lose. Any time we've had a go in this league, we've been more than capable of carving open defences.

We go again next week, c'mon the City!

I genuinely feel sorry for Brechin in that they deserved at least a point from today's game.

In the first half their plan was to contain Saints  yet went in level at HT. That seemed to give them confidence and they were much more attacking in the 2nd half.

However, I was one of the Saints fans who switched ends at HT and was in the shed behind the goal and your keeper definitely caught Cammy Smith and it was a stonewall penalty.

My mates told me last night he caught him . Which is annoying as he was going nowhere from where I was standing . But if you want to now why we re raging look at penalty Morton got against us last week . And seriously tell us if you ve ever seen a worse decision . These are match changing decisions that won t help our quest for first win [emoji47]

41 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

My mates told me last night he caught him . Which is annoying as he was going nowhere from where I was standing . But if you want to now why we re raging look at penalty Morton got against us last week . And seriously tell us if you ve ever seen a worse decision . These are match changing decisions that won t help our quest for first win emoji47.png

Stop it you sound like a paranoid Celtic fan:lol: 

Agree with most you say but we are missing too many chances Especially just before half time, right after halftime and right at the end. Surely A win Is not far away

Keep playing like that and you'll get one soon. Cold day, bumpy pitch, happy with the win. Thought it was a penalty myself but we're at the opposite end of the pitch. Will find out when the highlights come out

2 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

My mates told me last night he caught him . Which is annoying as he was going nowhere from where I was standing . But if you want to now why we re raging look at penalty Morton got against us last week . And seriously tell us if you ve ever seen a worse decision . These are match changing decisions that won t help our quest for first win emoji47.png

Been there mate , have came away from games and feel cheated all because of the shocking standard of refs in Scotland. SFA seem to have their ears and eye's covered there needs to be a training programme put in place for refs  sooner rather than later.

Been there mate , have came away from games and feel cheated all because of the shocking standard of refs in Scotland. SFA seem to have their ears and eye's covered there needs to be a training programme put in place for refs  sooner rather than later.

Oh ye it's for both teams no arguments there .I certainly was nt in position to argue about yesterday's but Morton s penalty beggars belief seriously have a look at it . The hierarchy in Scottish footy are a closed shop .

1 hour ago, BIG BEN said:

Nice we supporters bar and had a good laugh at some of the brechin fans taking the piss out of Gus( volunteered to do the bar) with their Glayva shennannigansemoji23.png

Haha.  That was funny.  He will never live that one down.  We have an ongoing battle with the bar staff of their inability to keep the Glayva in stock.   Unbelievable scenes when he tried to split the remaining barman's nip between 3 glasses.  Fair play to our mate Russ who negotiated  ( well demanded ) a compromise deal !!  ;)  I believe you kind Saints fans helped  by embarrassing Gus into it !!  :lol::lol:.   

Another City performance that warranted more than we got, but ended up with zip again and we have to wonder whether our luck will change or if this really is it for the season.
Dods's tactics are to soak up the pressure and try to counter attack thru Isaac Layne who is really coming onto a game now and is a threat to any defence because of his strength and directness. It's a bit odd to see us playing like the away team at home but it has been quite effective the last two home games - except that we only took one point from the six....
St Mirren had a lot of the ball as you would expect but didn't boss the game. I had been looking forward to seeing Morgan but thought he was fairly anonymous. First goal came from Crighton - who had a good game otherwise -letting a long punt bounce under his foot. I was right down the far corner for the pen so didn't have a great view but my first instinct was that it was fair enough. Smith G seemed to go down about 30 seconds before Smith C hit the pen as well
For City, Layne's goal was a clever flick but the chance he had to put us 2-1 up was more straightforward. Samson got a strong hand on it but I wondered whether Isaac might have    been better going hard and low. 
Plenty of half chances shooting uphill towards the end of the second half but the best chance we had to get something was when Jackson (I think) hit the post in the last couple of mins from a tight angle. 
No-one went missing, again. Willie Dyer went off injured early but Aron Lynas filled in fine. Orsi, Sinclair and Watt all put in a shift to link up with Layne, and good to see Jacko back on the pitch. Once he's fully match fit that should give us more options. 
St Mirren fans made plenty of noise making for a decent atmosphere at home again. I'd have thought they will be very pleased with three away points given the performances. As for us, two away games now before ICT are next at the Glebe. Just need to avoid the kinds of humpings we've taken recently on the road to keep the confidence up

Totally delusional. As I tried to say last week we are not far off anyone in this league (shot down in flames) if we get the right players n right tactics on the park. We fell short again just but short. My point last week was to tick the boxes players doing the right things on and off the park. We are not far away from being mid table. But between bad tactics n bad choice of personnel we r where we are

Archived