The February Friendship Derby: Berwick Rangers v Clyde OKI

Only one more game till we can dispense with the Annan failure brigade anybody who thinks cuddihy Ramsay wright are footballer players has a bolt loose
Out of that team I would keep munro goodwillie lowdon and Nicol the rest I wouldn't even have on the bench

Be really difficult for Lennon to sort this in one window the utter crap that Chapman was allowed to bring in was criminal only thing us we ain't losing goals , we haven't won
a game since 9th of September and haven't scored a goal since god knows when

It is pretty dire stuff to watch just now but one thing for sure we have tightened up at the back, that is the 1st thing Lennon had to do and he has succeeded . Only 1 more game to go before he can be able to move on players and bring in some of his own, i am confident he will have identified the right type of players he needs and i have every confidence that the 2nd half of the season will see us win more games and better football on show. In Danny we trust.

Berwick came for a point and got one. Didn't ever make any attempt to press the game, which is a strange approach given that they're probably safe but a wee bit away from challenging for the playoffs. They had a couple of half attempts on goal that Currie saved comfortably but like Annan (wrongly awarded penalty aside) and Montrose I didn't ever feel worried that we'd concede. The right wing-back was a decent player. 

Apart from set pieces we didn't really create much ourselves. There was a great chance to set Goodwillie clean through on goal in the first half when Berwick cheaply lost possession but Nicoll shinned his pass 20 yards too far in front of him. Even then, the set pieces were mainly rubbish, with the ball routinely loaded into a 6 yard box with nearly every player squashed into it. A bit more invention required as there was space elsewhere in the box. There were two second half set pieces begging to be laid back to Cuddihy at the edge of the box for a clear shot but instead were put into a forest of bodies.

We started with a 352 (Wright at wing-back) but I assume we always planned to change to more of a 343 with Cuddihy moving out to wing-back and Wright/Goodwillie in behind Gormley, and that's what we did after 5 minutes. It didn't work, with Berwick over-running the centre of the pitch and having time to play around Nicoll/Ramsay.  Soon changed back to the 352 and they died out the game completely again. We've had other managers who have such an ego that they wouldn't change their game-plan that quickly.

Second half was as scrappy as the first, too many long balls from both teams. The change to bring Lamont on was a positive one as we desperately needed someone to open space with some invention or skill, but we compounded it by introducing Breslin at the same time to play as a slow, uninvolved right wing-back. We could easily have made a more adventurous change against opponents that showed no inclination to break forward. Smart was also introduced far too late for Ramsay who was very poor today on the ball.

Currie was absolutely fine again. Back three defended well, as did the rest of the team to be honest. As irrelevant as all three were in possession, Nicoll, Cuddihy and Ramsay didn't let much get past them and they covered each other well.  As much as he strolled it defensively, Munro gave the ball away a ridiculous amount of times and his two compatriots were too easily inclined to play long.  Goodwillie started well but the second half he gave the ball away all the time. Wright and Gormley; were they even playing?

I think some supporters will be surprised how many of those players will still be involved at the end of January. I'd be surprised if many volunteered to leave and there can't be the funds lying about to sign a whole new team, nor indeed the availability of players. Two or three quality additions who will be around for next season, that's what we're looking for.  Players who have pace and are a step ahead of the game. 

Because no manager could do much, if any better, with that squad.

You're saying that fans shouldn't complain when they attend three games in a row that have had absolutely no entertainment value?

The process that we are going through may be necessary but the lack of enjoyment is worthy of comment.

On 07/12/2017 at 19:58, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I can picture it now: the ball-boys carrying  from the tunnel a 50ft banner of a handshake whilst fireworks arc over the stadium, the explosions filling the sky with the colours of these wonderful clubs. Players from the two sides warmly embrace in the tunnel as Lennon and Horn proudly look on, wiping single tears from each other's cheeks with club crest embroidered handkerchiefs.

The camera pans round to reveal the fans all mixed together in the stands, each man, woman and child adorning half-and-half scarves,  arms over each other's shoulders, swaying rhythmically as they belt out Savage Garden's 'Truly Madly Deeply'.

For 90 minutes the ground is steeped in an unparalleled atmosphere of euphoric joy amidst a global climate of darkened uncertainty. As the fans file out, and the hugs and kisses flow, there's a palpable belief that maybe,  just maybe, tomorrow will be ok.

Called it.

I think it's testament to Danny Lennon's ability that he can actually organise this squad of players into any sort of unit. January can't come quick enough, although as we know the issue might be getting shot of the dross rather than bringing anyone in, who would want them?

Still, another point that Chapman would never have managed to get on the board.

Berwick came for a point and got one. Didn't ever make any attempt to press the game, which is a strange approach given that they're probably safe but a wee bit away from challenging for the playoffs. They had a couple of half attempts on goal that Currie saved comfortably but like Annan (wrongly awarded penalty aside) and Montrose I didn't ever feel worried that we'd concede. The right wing-back was a decent player. 

Apart from set pieces we didn't really create much ourselves. There was a great chance to set Goodwillie clean through on goal in the first half when Berwick cheaply lost possession but Nicoll shinned his pass 20 yards too far in front of him. Even then, the set pieces were mainly rubbish, with the ball routinely loaded into a 6 yard box with nearly every player squashed into it. A bit more invention required as there was space elsewhere in the box. There were two second half set pieces begging to be laid back to Cuddihy at the edge of the box for a clear shot but instead were put into a forest of bodies.

We started with a 352 (Wright at wing-back) but I assume we always planned to change to more of a 343 with Cuddihy moving out to wing-back and Wright/Goodwillie in behind Gormley, and that's what we did after 5 minutes. It didn't work, with Berwick over-running the centre of the pitch and having time to play around Nicoll/Ramsay.  Soon changed back to the 352 and they died out the game completely again. We've had other managers who have such an ego that they wouldn't change their game-plan that quickly.

Second half was as scrappy as the first, too many long balls from both teams. The change to bring Lamont on was a positive one as we desperately needed someone to open space with some invention or skill, but we compounded it by introducing Breslin at the same time to play as a slow, uninvolved right wing-back. We could easily have made a more adventurous change against opponents that showed no inclination to break forward. Smart was also introduced far too late for Ramsay who was very poor today on the ball.

Currie was absolutely fine again. Back three defended well, as did the rest of the team to be honest. As irrelevant as all three were in possession, Nicoll, Cuddihy and Ramsay didn't let much get past them and they covered each other well.  As much as he strolled it defensively, Munro gave the ball away a ridiculous amount of times and his two compatriots were too easily inclined to play long.  Goodwillie started well but the second half he gave the ball away all the time. Wright and Gormley; were they even playing?

I think some supporters will be surprised how many of those players will still be involved at the end of January. I'd be surprised if many volunteered to leave and there can't be the funds lying about to sign a whole new team, nor indeed the availability of players. Two or three quality additions who will be around for next season, that's what we're looking for.  Players who have pace and are a step ahead of the game. 

You honestly think cuhhidy and Ramsay played ok , you must be related to one or both they are perhaps the worst two midfielders in the league they contribute nothing and for the majority of the game hide

They are the first two that should be shown the door young guys who show no desire or effort but nice of you to have a dig at Nicol who basically carried the midfield

I think you might be surprised at the amount that will be binned in January tell you one thing neither of your two wonder boys in midfield will be within a hundred miles of a Clyde jersey come February.

Was dire stuff and there is not many in that team I would keep after January. Would be almost an impossible task to overhaul the full squad in Jan. I didn't think there was a chance of making the play offs when Lennon took over and I still feel that is the case. 14 points is a huge amount of ground to make up.

Lennon has got us defending well as a unit but individually there is still a lot of errors being made.

I thought we could have made more of the umpteen corners we got. I would prefer to see a couple of runners attacking the ball rather than packing out the six yard box.

At least there is only one more game to January now against a struggling Edinburgh side. Five games undefeated and three clean sheets in a row but would be nice to finally win a game again.

3 hours ago, cfcuk said:

Be really difficult for Lennon to sort this in one window the utter crap that Chapman was allowed to bring in was criminal only thing us we ain't losing goals , we haven't won
a game since 9th of September and haven't scored a goal since god knows when

Scored a penalty on 11th November against Stirling.  Open play goal the week before at Stenhousemuir. Agree with you cfcuk I think it will take a January window and a summer to improve. 

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

You're saying that fans shouldn't complain when they attend three games in a row that have had absolutely no entertainment value?

The process that we are going through may be necessary but the lack of enjoyment is worthy of comment.

Lennon's getting as much as can reliably can be gotten out of the squad as it is.

If I've not got it in me to whinge, I'm stunned that anyone else has.

It'd be a foolishly bold manager that took a defender out to add an attacker to that team; short spells are as much as we can manage.

Edited by Sao Paulo

What a game we have in store in League 2 today. No doubt this will be a thrilling 0-0 draw with none of the clubs wanting to score against each other, being such great friends its understandable.

If only I'd stuck money on this.

16 hours ago, KieranClyde said:

Cheers for the malteasers. 

16 hours ago, Bully Wee Charlie said:

Nice to see the Berwick young guys handing out presents to the Clyde supporters. Lovely touch lads:thumsup2

15 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Class touch from the bandits of berwick. Need to repay favour next game. Berwick is now the new annan. Merry xmas boys.emoji106.png

Delighted to hear the gifts have been well-received. What an excellent friendship derby, and I can only apologise for being so pished I left at HT thinking it was full-time.

15 hours ago, David W said:

Berwick came for a point

You're fucking right we did.

I <3 Clyde