Yearly flat maintenance charges

Raithie

10 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Don't pay him.

He's 95. He'll either forget or be dead next week.

It's not the 95 year old we're paying, he's not the gardener he's just the guy who's told the gardener to bash on with the work and that the rest of the block had agreed to it....when we hadn't.

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Few weeks ago I got a chap at my door and it's my 95 year old downstairs neighbour. He was upset that a tree around the back of our flats had gotten so overgrown that it was blocking sunlight coming into his bedroom. There are trees also encroaching over a dividing wall between our block and the back garden of a property from the street opposite. This tree literally hangs over my car , it's no big deal to me but my neighbour was trying to use this as leverage to get me to agree to have the gardener come out and trim back these trees (in my opinion anyway). At no point did my neighbour ask if I was ok with the gardener doing this job, it was almost like he was trying to put it back on me to try and see about getting the neighbour from the opposite street to trim his tree.

Did you tell him you weren't willing to pay or did you just hum and haw?

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Did you tell him you weren't willing to pay or did you just hum and haw?

No, nothing was spoken about re payment of the work and/or actually getting the gardener to do this work. It was just him having a moan about the tree blocking his sunlight and how he'd like something done about it. For a moment I thought he was wanting me to do it. He then said 'someone' had told the gardener to do the work and asked if it was me. I told him it wasn't me and he went down the stairs saying he was going to ask around to see if he could find out who told the gardener to do the work. Several weeks later the work is done and the gardener is saying this neighbour told him to do it and that he had discussed it with all other tenants.

Tell him to sling his hook. If you didn't give the go ahead then it's not owed by you. If he piles it into his normal yearly invoice then pay him only what he would usually have charged. If he complains, tell him to f**k off.

Pretty much this.

95yo should be footing the bill. He's at it, to suit himself and he knows.

Gardener just caught in middle. What is etiquette regards who instructs gardener for block? Has it been established.

You owe nothing for trees and I seriously doubt he has permission from council. Unless you have seen permission in writing?

If he tries to pull a fly one on the back of not getting paid. Just get another gardener.

How did other neighbours who have to pay, take the news?

Archived