Voting  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, renton said:

Especially when the Tories go around retirement homes with buses, loading up barely cognizant fogies to dump at the voting booths.

Does it have to be the Russell group? Otherwise I'd have three votes and a seat in the Lords.....

That, my dear fellow, is why it has to be the Russell Group.

13 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Ah, another thread calling for schoolchildren to get the vote. 

If they can't be trusted to buy a packet of tabs.... they shouldn't get a vote

They also shouldn't be allowed to get married, that's fecked up and there is potential for young people to be exploited.

Under 18's don't go to 'war' either, they can join the Forces but won't be put anywhere 'shooty' and joining up should be at 18, society has moved on.

Under 18's are also hellishly expensive to ensure for driving for pretty obvious reasons, shouldn't be allowed to drive. Again, if they're not mature enough to choose to smoke or not due to their lack of judgement, being allowed to drive given the insurance premiums (which suggests the number crunchers that really matter have a strong view on it) then it makes it simple, you're a kid until you're 18.

Basically, 18 is the age of majority and I have no issue with that, despite looking back at the young Chomp and cringing at what a fud I was, and continued to be for a good few years. There's no 'right' age as we all mature differently so there will be an arbitrary number assigned, 18 seems to be the magic number for our society. 

13 hours ago, The Moonster said:

When you get to pension age you collect your state pension and give up your right to vote. Too many old wankers in this country to be dictating the futures of others.

What about a choice?

You can pick up your pension but not vote.

Or

You can vote but not receive your pension.

47 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

What about a choice?

You can pick up your pension but not vote.

Or

You can vote but not receive your pension.

Run with this idea a bit further -

If you're on benefits, you can't vote.

16 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Ah, another thread calling for schoolchildren to get the vote. 

As it stands, 71% want 16 year olds to have a vote.

I suspect this has something to do with the political leanings/wants of the forum, that impressionable young are more attracted to to the fluffy idealism that would help their political tribe. Child abuse, imo.

39 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I was still at school when I first voted.

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

Thinking about it, maybe some kind of qualifier non age specific could be used to be consider suitability to vote. I'd go with moving out of your maw's spare room/halls of residence. It should in theory prove that you have  a grasp of economics/budgets and that you can wash your own pants..... 

9 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Run with this idea a bit further -

If you're on benefits, you can't vote.

Nah, its just old folk I'd make choose. They vote for short term personal gain, rather than the long term future of the population,  because they have no stake in the long term.

People on benefits are people with a stake,  just like everyone else.

Archived