Paedophile hunters

Are these going to be able to be tried as cases by the PF for example? If not, then all sorts of questions of motive (of the youtuber), legitimacy etc arise.
If, of coyrse, they are actually building legitimate cases against sex offenders and handing them over to the authorities for them to press charges then, of course, I'm all for it. But my head says that's not what's happening here.

No, because the legislation explicitly states the messages/images/videos/meeting arrangements have to be sent to a child or an undercover police officer. At best in Scotland you might get an indecent communication offence out of it.

• 6 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-44629795

Hottest day of the year, perfect for a bit of mob violence.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/angry-mob-try-to-get-to-alleged-armadale-pervert-1-4760882

There were several children in the house at the time.  Protecting children by rioting outside their house.

Edited by ICTChris

It's the dark ages.

Catching adults who are grooming children is a great thing of course but gather your evidence and take it to the police. What's the need to stream a sting live? It's the same mentality as public executions 100+ years ago.

All entertainment for 'university of life' types. The comments on these things too.

3 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

It's the dark ages.

Catching adults who are grooming children is a great thing of course but gather your evidence and take it to the police. What's the need to stream a sting live? It's the same mentality as public executions 100+ years ago.

All entertainment for 'university of life' types. The comments on these things too.

Assuming there isn't a case of mistaken identity, I'm all for child abusers being exposed and having their live's ruined on a live stream. 

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of videos I have seen of local people getting caught for grooming online have both had serious learning difficulties. I think these so called hunters have forced the real beasts that know what theyre doing to find other, smarter ways to get what they want, and these idiots are left standing shouting at mentally disabled people live on facebook.

Do the Police in Britain have a dedicated unit doing something similar?

Seem to spend a lot of money and dedicate a lot of resources to catching people speeding. I understand that speeding motorists are the real criminals here but I'd still hope they will throw a couple of quid at catching some beasts.

Seems if a few mad folk from council schemes can catch beasts then the Police will catch plenty with the Intel and resources they have.

If they do catch a few who are well connected our PM can make that disappear also.

46 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Do the Police in Britain have a dedicated unit doing something similar?

Seem to spend a lot of money and dedicate a lot of resources to catching people speeding. I understand that speeding motorists are the real criminals here but I'd still hope they will throw a couple of quid at catching some beasts.

Seems if a few mad folk from council schemes can catch beasts then the Police will catch plenty with the Intel and resources they have.

If they do catch a few who are well connected our PM can make that disappear also.

According to what I heard on a radio discussion about this topic, a lot of what these paedophile hunters do won't stand up in court (so to speak).

And it doesn't take as much resources to catch speeding drivers as it does paedophiles - not that that's an excuse for not trying.

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

According to what I heard on a radio discussion about this topic, a lot of what these paedophile hunters do won't stand up in court (so to speak).

And it doesn't take as much resources to catch speeding drivers as it does paedophiles - not that that's an excuse for not trying.

Also speeding motorists are big business. Must be worth millions in fines catching these folk.

I'd imagine paedophiles however are more a prison sentence type of crime which costs money to keep.