Paedophile hunters

10 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I'll be honest, the whole thing makes me uncomfortable. Also, what do they describe themselves as to folk when asked what they do? Because starting any job title with the word "paedo" isn't great tbh.

The ones I've seen call themselves "Child Protection Agents" or similar.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Almost certainly. Which is daft, because if you are up to something untoward, trying to avoid attention isn't working if you're putting photos of yourself citizens arresting nonces on the internet.

Again, most of the ones I've seen hide their faces on the videos etc. but they do give out their names which I don't understand. I know what you mean about it being a bit uncomfortable, but it does appear that this isn't a priority for Police, so if citizens are rightly bringing folk to their attention and they've done the leg work, it must be seen as a good thing on the whole.

On the whole, yes, but that's assuming that things like due process, evidence gathering, adherence to law, innocence until proven guilt etc are being adhered to. Otherwise it's a dangerous spiral of naming and potentially damaging the lives of people who may or may not be innocent. The whole thing is very strange.

Are these going to be able to be tried as cases by the PF for example? If not, then all sorts of questions of motive (of the youtuber), legitimacy etc arise.

If, of coyrse, they are actually building legitimate cases against sex offenders and handing them over to the authorities for them to press charges then, of course, I'm all for it. But my head says that's not what's happening here.

Almost all of the stings that you will have seen online end in conviction Pete. The full content of the chats are given to the police and then those carrying out the sting operations give evidence in court. Out of the groups I have watched doing it - Stinson hunter and Shane Brannigan were abused as kids, I’m pretty sure the woman from internet interceptors was as well from reading between the lines and the group called the Hunted one had relatives who were groomed so they have a personal attachment to what they do, most of them have donation sections on their profiles if people want to help fund them but I’m pretty sure they all work full time and do this in their spare time.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

Almost all of the stings that you will have seen online end in conviction Pete. The full content of the chats are given to the police and then those carrying out the sting operations give evidence in court. Out of the groups I have watched doing it - Stinson hunter and Shane Brannigan were abused as kids, I’m pretty sure the woman from internet interceptors was as well from reading between the lines and the group called the Hunted one had relatives who were groomed so they have a personal attachment to what they do, most of them have donation sections on their profiles if people want to help fund them but I’m pretty sure they all work full time and do this in their spare time.

I see. I bow to your superior knowledge of paedo groups.

I see. I bow to your superior knowledge of paedo groups.

You know how it is on YouTube, you watch one video and then lots of them get recommended to you afterwards. I just find it fascinating because being outed as a paedo truly is the ultimate shame and I just like seeing how the situation unfolds when they are confronted.

A lot of it doesn’t sit right with me either, they now do these operations live for thousands of people to tune in and watch as it happens, one time a group of young lads showed up and started throwing eggs at the paedo.

32 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Are these going to be able to be tried as cases by the PF for example? If not, then all sorts of questions of motive (of the youtuber), legitimacy etc arise.

If, of coyrse, they are actually building legitimate cases against sex offenders and handing them over to the authorities for them to press charges then, of course, I'm all for it. But my head says that's not what's happening here.

That's why I was questioning what these people do for a living - they do actually build full cases against them as police would, that must be a ball ache to adhere to all of the legal stuff to ensure these folk don't walk free. On the videos by the group in Ireland called Silent Justice they have the full case work/chat logs etc. with them when they confront the paedo, they then hold them under citizens arrest until the police arrive. Police arrive, quick explanation of what's gone down, evidence handed over and paedo off to the pokey.

I do tend to agree that perhaps doing a live video isn't required and leaves it open for others to show up and attack/abuse, but I think it's a good thing all things considered.

It's all very Daily Sport meets Brass Eye. "Paedo left with egg on face".

Exactly, it is absolutely mad what goes on and what people think they can get away with. For a while, Stinson hunter was just sat in his house pretending to be a child and dozens of people would show up not really caring what he consequences would be if the kids parents were to come home or what the neighbours might say or anything like that. It’s shooting fish in a barrel.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's why I was questioning what these people do for a living - they do actually build full cases against them as police would, that must be a ball ache to adhere to all of the legal stuff to ensure these folk don't walk free. On the videos by the group in Ireland called Silent Justice they have the full case work/chat logs etc. with them when they confront the paedo, they then hold them under citizens arrest until the police arrive. Police arrive, quick explanation of what's gone down, evidence handed over and paedo off to the pokey.

I do tend to agree that perhaps doing a live video isn't required and leaves it open for others to show up and attack/abuse, but I think it's a good thing all things considered.

I heard a discussion about this shortly after the aforementioned suicide - there was an expert* on, and he said unless the legal side of things was watertight this sort of carry on could mean a prosecution is thrown out. His advice was to hand all evidence over to the police and forego the live video streaming.

* I think he's an ex PSNI/Met police officer, he's definitely from NI, but I can't remember his name. I think he now runs a consultancy, he's wheeled out on Radio Ulster on a regular basis (mostly, but not exclusively, about sex abuse cases)

Edited by Jacksgranda

A BE A WARE-type post was shared on my Facebook feed, it was a live video of someone from Leven/Kirkcaldy being stung.

He had his keys on a wee chain attached to his trousers, that was probably the most suspicious thing about him.

His maw was more worried about how she was gonna get hame now that he was lifted

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

The Facebook pages that's popped up on my feed is called something like the Innocence Keepers. I don't know if they all do this but they use 'decoys', being young children to speak to them, they obviously make their age known pretty quickly and see if the beasts want to carry on. I don't know how they know these young people, whether they're family/close friend or whatever, but they told the paedo from Leven that one of the decoys was quite shaken and disturbed by what they had to read/see, which I find extremely uncomfortable as the kids are obviously being exposed to some pretty grotesque language, suggestions and images. 

Fair enough if you get some 25 year-old to pretend to be a 13 year-old girl and try and catch them out*, but if they're actually having children look at this stuff, it's not a nice thought at all.

Another thing is the whole cringe-factor of it, you'll hear the paedo hunters trying to sound official and formal. One of them tried to give a disclaimer during a video saying something like, "please refrain from approaching the property or the residents inhabiting  such properties", then the camera moves down to show the boy in paint-splattered trackies and Dunlop slip-on trainers. 

*although they wouldn't technically be doing anything illegal here, if anything the paedo hunters would be for fraud. :lol:

4 minutes ago, smpar said:

The Facebook pages that's popped up on my feed is called something like the Innocence Keepers. I don't know if they all do this but they use 'decoys', being young children to speak to them, they obviously make their age known pretty quickly and see if the beasts want to carry on. I don't know how they know these young people, whether they're family/close friend or whatever, but they told the paedo from Leven that one of the decoys was quite shaken and disturbed by what they had to read/see, which I find extremely uncomfortable as the kids are obviously being exposed to some pretty grotesque language, suggestions and images. 

Fair enough if you get some 25 year-old to pretend to be a 13 year-old girl and try and catch them out*, but if they're actually having children look at this stuff, it's not a nice thought at all.

Another thing is the whole cringe-factor of it, you'll hear the paedo hunters trying to sound official and formal. One of them tried to give a disclaimer during a video saying something like, "please refrain from approaching the property or the residents inhabiting  such properties", then the camera moves down to show the boy in paint-splattered trackies and Dunlop slip-on trainers. 

*although they wouldn't technically be doing anything illegal here, if anything the paedo hunters would be for fraud. :lol:

Of course the "decoys" aren't children, if they were children they wouldn't be fucking decoys :lol:.  The whole purpose of the exercise is to stop children being abused, why would they force children through this?

If they said the decoy was shaken from the conversation then it's whichever grown man/woman was talking to him. Given that most of these folk have gonme through abuse in the past it's not a surprise that some of them get upset when dealing with these guys.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Of course the "decoys" aren't children, if they were children they wouldn't be fucking decoys :lol:.  The whole purpose of the exercise is to stop children being abused, why would they force children through this?

If they said the decoy was shaken from the conversation then it's whichever grown man/woman was talking to him. Given that most of these folk have gonme through abuse in the past it's not a surprise that some of them get upset when dealing with these guys.

:lol: It sounds utterly ridiculous but I'm sure they mentioned they have children involved at some point.There's a good chance I have picked it up wrong but I'm convinced they were talking about a genuine child that had been messaging them.