Clyde Victim Blamers FC v Montrose FC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, David W said:

Montrose appear to be lining up 352 recently. Two good wing-backs in Steeves/Ballatyne. Obvious big man, little man threat up front.  I do think it's the best way to play at this level, but it's also the one that relies most on having the right personnel. 

For probably the first time this season, Nicoll's inclusion is important. As we noticed in the game at Links Park, stationing him in front of Templeman can cut off a decent amount of his threat. Munro will make a difference compared to that game as well. If Nicoll misses out, I wonder if we'll play Duffie in that sitting role (as we did for a bit of the game last week) with his greater height.

There's always a temptation to play wingers against a 352 but in reality it doesn't work and I always prefer to face up man to man. The key thing for me may well be who partners Goodwillie; whether you like him or not, it's obvious that he plays better when Gormley is up there. He goes directly up against the centre halves and into channels, which opens space for Goodwillie. Smart does the opposite.

I desperately hope we get a win; only one win since the 9th of September and that came against the worst side you'd ever see. As I said on the Montrose thread, we went up there almost exactly a year ago for Petrie's first game and they got their first home win of the season despite us sitting comfortably near the top of the league. Since then we've only won 5 league games :lol:

OMG David W actually notices, for once the importance of Nicoll.

You let yourself down though by mentioning for the first time this season.

I think its about time you go to Specsavers, clown

12 minutes ago, maxruby said:

Got to agree . He was missed last Saturday. (Ah. Hang on. I shouldn't make comments about fitba')

It would be interesting to know why you think that. Annan didn't pass through us at any point, even late on in the game when they had plenty of possession. For an hour we didn't play well but were under no threat defensively.

Would Nicoll have gained us possession higher up the pitch? Unlikely. Would he have been a better distributor of the ball than Ramsay? Not a chance. Would he have helped defend the regular long ball into Henderson? Probably but the centre halves did that fine anyway.

He may have put in improved performances for periods of the Stirling and East Fife games but I don't think he'd have changed last week. We needed someone technically good in tight spaces.

Probably because he was playing in midfield.... Too many football pc managers on here and helmets7ad79eb5452b593a203f6fcdcb40a9f0.jpg

I can't imagine this comment is directed at me. Couldn't be. I don't even like football.

Anyway, anyone who was at the game at Montrose and watched that first half would agree with me about Nicolls performance.

I'm glad he's playing in midfield now as he's much better there.

59 minutes ago, maxruby said:

David W. GTF. So making a frivolous comment now commands a reply from the tactical guru you deem yourself to be? I don't know if he was missed. I just know he wasn't there!

No, I was genuinely interested in your opinion. Apologies if I've missed whatever joke you were trying to tell.

Archived