Clyde Victim Blamers FC v Montrose FC

Let's get back to the football.

This will be a tough game for the Mighty Montrose against a Clyde team with a new manager. Clyde, with Goodwillie up front, are always liable to score. We haven't been free-scoring but we've decent players up front who can cause a threat, Big Temps generally being the focal point of our attacks. I can't make it on Saturday but I like my trips to Broadwood, it's a decent stadium.

Prediction 2-1 to Montrose.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montrose appear to be lining up 352 recently. Two good wing-backs in Steeves/Ballatyne. Obvious big man, little man threat up front.  I do think it's the best way to play at this level, but it's also the one that relies most on having the right personnel. 

For probably the first time this season, Nicoll's inclusion is important. As we noticed in the game at Links Park, stationing him in front of Templeman can cut off a decent amount of his threat. Munro will make a difference compared to that game as well. If Nicoll misses out, I wonder if we'll play Duffie in that sitting role (as we did for a bit of the game last week) with his greater height.

There's always a temptation to play wingers against a 352 but in reality it doesn't work and I always prefer to face up man to man. The key thing for me may well be who partners Goodwillie; whether you like him or not, it's obvious that he plays better when Gormley is up there. He goes directly up against the centre halves and into channels, which opens space for Goodwillie. Smart does the opposite.

I desperately hope we get a win; only one win since the 9th of September and that came against the worst side you'd ever see. As I said on the Montrose thread, we went up there almost exactly a year ago for Petrie's first game and they got their first home win of the season despite us sitting comfortably near the top of the league. Since then we've only won 5 league games :lol:

Archived