Queen's Park v East Fife

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Success throughout the team. Donnelly was excellent and teamed up well with the hard running Mortimer probably making the real difference in giving us a cutting edge.

I feared the worst at the goal (what was the keeper thinking?) but scoring soon after seemed to gee us up.

Good to see so many efforts on target and so few from EF. Top class save at the death, but we should have been ahead comfortably by this point.

Felt it was a solid performance from everyone. Even the subs contributed their bit with Docherty worth a mention.

As they say, can we play you every week?

Firstly, a huge thanks to all the players for reminding us all that this is a football club first and foremost. There's been a lot of distraction around recently about stadiums and support staff (including demotion for some) and the President linking the future of our club to the stadium. Thankfully the lads have got the masterplan in place. Put the white pigskin between the big white sticks and everything else will sort itself out.

There was at least four who could have been MotM yesterday. Actually, for many of our fixtures this season anyone would have got the top spot by yesterday's standards.  Perhaps more importantly than individuals though was a performance led by attack which in itself released the pressure on the defence. I thought Jack Iredale was magnificent yesterday , every bit the winner and leader that McGeever was as well as nursing the rookie beside him (Jack's now the veteran at 21!). There was also a calmness about the defence yesterday and the return of Summers helped. It was great also to see that after losing the early goal they just got on with it although why Gus had a rant at Magee when it was White's poor choice is beyond me. 

The real show-offs though were, gratefully, at the other end of the field. Davie Galt had a thundering day yesterday. Apart from the entertainment value, having someone running at defences like that will guarantee central defenders sitting deeper than they should, letting us nearer their goal and creating space everywhere. A big part of the work done by Mortimer/Donnelly came form Galt's distractions.  His back flick for the second goal was genius. 

Luke Donnelly. Already taken Sean Burns title as the most enigmatic player in the squad, the promise he showed recently went from a whisper to a shout yesterday.  Scored as many goals in 77 mins as the rest of the team have managed in the last six league games. It's what it's all about. I'm reserving  jumping on the fan bus at the moment due to his off-the-ball efforts but if he can keep putting perfectly balanced passes into the right spaces like yesterday I'll be buying the t-shirt soon enough.

Billy Mortimer. MotM for me. Right from the go. Excellent first touch, repeatedly, allowed him to get balls controlled quickly and turn to face his opponent. I haven't see any of our strikers doing that in the past few seasons. When it was too tight, his control and strength made sure he kept the ball long enough for support to arrive. And his defensive work was brilliant, chasing down all over the pitch and forcing mistakes leading to us getting posession. He and Donnelly seemed to have connected and they compliment each other. Apart from the obvious (inside the sticks Billy) that was the most rounded striker performance I've seen since Jamie Longworth left. Can't praise him any higher than that. 

Of course we've been here before. I was surprised how much space EF allowed us and we'll see how the lads cope with  a team who play tighter and more physical. But now the players know they can do it their own bar will be much higher. Pigskin. White sticks. Pass and move. Keep the focus.

Don't go to many matches anymore but still follow QP results. That was an unexpected but greatly pleasing result and performance, well done to all the players. As has been said a better performance up top takes pressure off the defence. The players will no doubt take a lot of confidence from yesterday and there's nothing to lose in next weeks match - hope we have a go (within reason) are on the front foot when we have the ball, because we wont keep them out anyway by sitting in.

As painful as it is to admit, this is what makes fitba the best sport going. It makes no logical sense how the same eleven players can destroy one side 6-1 then (deservedly) lose to the team rooted to the bottom of the table seven days later. From an East Fife point of view this needs to be seen as a wake up call. No team in this league can expect to simply turn up and return home with the points. Queen's Park showed a lot of determination and hunger in the middle of the park, closing us down at every opportunity. Everything that we got right against Airdrieonians we failed to replicate yesterday. The high tempo, the movement off the ball, the support to the striker wasn't there. The missing possession in midfield caused the defence to get jittery and Queens realised early on that a result in their favour could be on the cards. 

I think complacency sums up our performance...   

Saturday's result very frustrating but will surely be a much needed wake up call! Apart from Ayr and Raith there's not much separating the rest. Queens Park well worthy of the 3 points and you have to give them and Gus credit for the way they swept us aside. All to play for and I'm still hopeful of making the play offs but our inconsistency a slight worry, esp away from home.

That's a great highlights package, well done whoever at Queens Park put that together.

Get the feeling this league will go down to the wire for playoff places, everyone is capable of beating anyone. The way QP played you would not have identified them as a bottom of the table team.

On 12/3/2017 at 19:44, Boris the Spider said:

Bring Your Own Socks - do you still consider Luke Donnelly the worst player you've ever seen at this level? ( sorry couldn't resist)
Agree with you about Mortimer - he was brlliant yesterday. Didn't think he had that in him.

Hello Boris The Spider. Patiently waiting for weeks, just like The Bruce. I take it you didn't have the weekend off to read my earlier post old chum? 

No. Short answer just for you. I'm away to make a cuppa to wash down the humble pie. :)

Donnelly is the worst Queen's striker I've seen since Ian McWilliams, who was then converted into one of our best ever central defenders. Donnelly is also too slow to be a midfielder, which just leaves the "supporting the striker role".  Last Saturday was the 3rd time this season he's looked a different player in that role, but it only works when you have a striker (like Mortimer and MacLennan) who wants to run in behind defenders rather than come deep looking for the ball.

In other words Donnelly's a "luxury" player for a team that are scrapping at the foot of the table, and I suspect he's going to either be brilliant or pish in every game he plays for us, but if Gus can get two performances like last Saturday's out of him every three games he could yet become this season's cult hero. However, as he's yet to prove that level of consistency, it's equally likely that he'll be regarded as something less flattering than "cult" if he's a factor if we get relegated.

Boris nailed it when he surmised that most of us still have to be convinced about him, but the jury's verdict may well depend on a) Gus playing him in the "no. 10" role and b) whether other teams will allow him as much time and space as East Fife to make incisive passes or the late supporting runs that have got him his three goals so far.

6 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

No I read it. I can see you have still to be convinced about Luke - a position most of is are in. But there is definitely potential there.
Wasn't going to mention you writing him off after one game but my pettiness got the better of me.

Is that twice now then ;)

Donnelly is the worst Queen's striker I've seen since Ian McWilliams, who was then converted into one of our best ever central defenders. Donnelly is also too slow to be a midfielder, which just leaves the "supporting the striker role".  Last Saturday was the 3rd time this season he's looked a different player in that role, but it only works when you have a striker (like Mortimer and MacLennan) who wants to run in behind defenders rather than come deep looking for the ball.
In other words Donnelly's a "luxury" player for a team that are scrapping at the foot of the table, and I suspect he's going to either be brilliant or pish in every game he plays for us, but if Gus can get two performances like last Saturday's out of him every three games he could yet become this season's cult hero. However, as he's yet to prove that level of consistency, it's equally likely that he'll be regarded as something less flattering than "cult" if he's a factor if we get relegated.
Boris nailed it when he surmised that most of us still have to be convinced about him, but the jury's verdict may well depend on a) Gus playing him in the "no. 10" role and b) whether other teams will allow him as much time and space as East Fife to make incisive passes or the late supporting runs that have got him his three goals so far.

I think there's a player in there somewhere if he gets played in his favoured position
I don't think we've properly replaced Paul woods' creativity so think he's worth a run
I was pleasantly surprised by Billy Mortimer and thought the pair of them
linked up well...

I wouldn’t get excited about beating East Fife our away form is utterly pitiful and we are hopeless when we don’t have the ball,the opposition are allowed the freedom of the park as no one pressures the ball and we just back off. The guy Donnelly looked decent but I would reserve judgement until I seen him in a game where the opposition actually hassle and put him under pressure in possession,not the easy time the East Fife players gave him on Saturday.

16 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

I wouldn’t get excited about beating East Fife our away form is utterly pitiful and we are hopeless when we don’t have the ball,the opposition are allowed the freedom of the park as no one pressures the ball and we just back off. The guy Donnelly looked decent but I would reserve judgement until I seen him in a game where the opposition actually hassle and put him under pressure in possession,not the easy time the East Fife players gave him on Saturday.

Don't worry. Every team we've beaten since MacPherson took over have only lost to us because they played pish. That's according to the fans, of course.

On 03/12/2017 at 12:40, Bring Your Own Socks said:

that was the most rounded striker performance I've seen since Jamie Longworth left. Can't praise him any higher than that. 

High praise indeed. He did well, the best I've seen him play, but reckon I've seen better from Brophy (game at Shire where he scored 2 and bossed it) and Duggan (play off semi first leg v Cowden) Of course these were 2 players on loan. 

As has been said, we've been here before this season. I think anything we get this Saturday is a bonus. The next two after that against Airdrie and Forfar are huge and we have to produce 

Archived