Queen's Park v East Fife

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant performance that could have been 4 or 5 on another day. Feared the worst again after losing a soft goal, but the players responded brilliantly. Two well taken finishes by Donnelly in what was a terrific all round performance from him. 

Hit the woodwork twice and a few other nearly moments. Thought we passed the ball well and won more than our fair share of loose balls. Special word for Sean Burns, who has been on the end of some stick, but put in a brilliant shift when played on the right and out of his comfort zone. All of the players deserve credit, of course. Great team performance.

C’mon the QP!

Delighted to finally see a win at hampden. Completely deserved to win and quite frankly we should of scored 4 or 5. Was pleasantly surprised by Billy Mortimer's performance. Never really thought he was cut out for this level but today he certainly showed what he was about. He's certainly bulked up a bit over the past year and hopefully he continues to play like that. Donnelly 100% man of the match, not just for his 2 goals but his overall play. He has a brilliant touch and an eye for a pass. Hopefully Gus pursues with that attack for a while. Defence was solid and I've been extremely impressed by Lewis Magee, think he'll definitely make it in the game. 

6 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Times of trouble can be an opportunity for some. Only when it's dark can you find the light.      2-1 for the Glorious Hoops.

Hallelujah - All hail the Messiah. 

That was a refreshingly good performance from a team that actually looked the part and that wanted to win ---- more please !.

I would rather be playing Ayr or Arbroath tbh, after the weekends fantastic result just past with all its morale boosting benefits, do we want to be playing our traditional bogey team with the possibility of derailing all the recent good work???

Called it!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler

How predictable was that think nearly every East Fife fan half expected another loss at Hampden. However the performance from 10 players only excusing Kyle Wilkie can only be described as horrific. If you can’t match the effort and determination of the opposition you are on a hiding to nothing. Make no mistake the hunger and desire Queen’s Park showed was in total contrast to the half hearted apathy shown by the East Fife players. Queen’s hunted in packs while we just backed off and invited them onto us. This seems to be a recurring theme on our away days that’s now 5 away league defeats on the spin. I can’t for the life of me see how the manager sent those same 11 players out for the 2nd half when it was clear for anyone to see that our set up was miles of the pace. I wouldn’t mind betting the players put more into their Xmas night out in Newcastle tonight. Finally we’ll done Queens Park I only wish our manager could get the same work rate heart and desire out of his players.

Great to see it coming together at last.  After all, we only lost two of the team that competed so well last season, butwe saw flickers of that slick passing today. Albeit with a very improbable line up....no Muir or Millen in the squad, Brady, Docherty, Orr, Cummins and Gibson on the bench, with Burns on the right. I feared the worst. That's why Gus is manager and I'm not.

Thought we were really good today . Donnelly was fantastic playing in behind the striker . Mortimer was great up front would keep him starting as he has improved so much . Looked at the team before the game and had my doubts but thought they were great . I have criticized Burns before but I thought he was really good and taking on the captain role . Would love Gus to have a go against Ayr next week don’t change anything based on today’s performance.

Me too - when I saw the team sheet I thought we were in for another doing. Delighted with the way it turned out. Mortimer and Donnelly up front did a tremendous job. Great to see us passing our way through the opposition and making real chances. Could have been 4-1 easily. Mind you there was still time for a heartstopping last 10 minutes or so when we sat in deep and East Fife were really giving it a go. I was impressed with Iredale and Magee at the back. First time I've seen Magee - looks like a real find. So good to see a real attacking threat and a secure defence for perhaps the first time this season.  The whole team played well and here's hoping we can kick on from that performance.

16 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Thought we were really good today . Donnelly was fantastic playing in behind the striker . Mortimer was great up front would keep him starting as he has improved so much . Looked at the team before the game and had my doubts but thought they were great . I have criticized Burns before but I thought he was really good and taking on the captain role . Would love Gus to have a go against Ayr next week don’t change anything based on today’s performance.

Not sure what I’d do next week. Play too openly and they’ll have the quality to pick us off. Play too deep and it just invites an onslaught. I think we have to be pragmatic, but use the ball effectively when we get the chance.

Games against Ayr and Raith won’t sink or save us anyway. A pasting is eminently possible,  but if we can keep the level of recent weeks we can certainly compete. I’d have Wullie Muir back in if he’s fit, but there’s all sorts of possible selections we could go with. The lads who played today certainly gave Gus something to think about anyway.

The fact that both Iredale & Magee were superb today makes things very interesting for Monday when Bryan Wharton's loan at Pollok is up. Before Magee came into the team, I thought Wharton was on a par (all things taken into account!) with any of our central defenders, but Magee's arrival has seen Iredale up his game considerably so I fear the worst as far as big Bryan's concerned, especially now that Gibson has also recently returned to the fray.

Archived