Rangers v Aberdeen / Aberdeen v Rangers

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m annoyed at mcinnes for last night but baffles me that so many equate him getting tactics wrong to immediate sacking material.

Bit of perspective please lads.

Probably the danger of posting too soon after a game.

For me there's two schools of thought. 

One could be that, for McInnes has been wonderfully consistent for AFC - last night was another example of pointless over-thinking in a so-called 'big' match.  

He's not the first to do that - I recall Craigie Broon producing a 5-at-the-back with two wingbacks from nowhere against Celtic in a LC semi at Hampden a few years back and we were 4-0 down after half an hour - the players genuinely did not have a clue who was meant to be marking who and the opponents just passed round us like Brazil - until we eventually revert to a normal formation and it becomes a normal game again.

Last night reminded me of that - for all Sevco's soft-centre, they can knock the ball about if given the chance to do so.  As soon as GMS came on and occupied Tavernier - and the defenders and midfielders went back to their normal positions, it became the game I thought it would be   i.e. one that would be close fought and could have gone either way - and 2-0 deficit followed by the offside third ensured it wouldn't go ours.   

For the first half, was Considine meant to be some kind of Roberto Carlos? - he's a slow centre-half for FFS - and we could mostly get away with him at LB with Hayes protecting him for all those years, but Tavernier was allowed to be Cafu last night as a consequence.

The other school of thought is that this is the first season we have had to hit the reset button with the squad.  It's been up to McInnes to freshen us up and there were always going to be blips as we tried to settle his "Who's Who of SPL highlights videos circa 2013" signing policy into our team.

We are still second in the league despite me being able to count the number of acceptable performances this season on one hand.   Either we'll come good or this hasn't worked, and we're about to start slipping down the table a bit.  I honestly cannot get my head round the fact we've almost been unable to give second place away, given some of the disjointed garbage we've served up so far - culminating in the three TV horror shows against Motherwell, Celtic and Sevco.

Time will tell - starting on Sunday.....

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dons could win the treble and you'd still wouldn't be convinced by the management.

Well, that is just you spouting shite but okay.

And I’ve not said sack him, if reading comprehension isn’t anyone’s strong point. Just said if he left I wouldn’t be overly bothered, it wouldn’t be meltdown material. Stand by it.

On the game itself, if McInnes plans on rolling out a fast paced 3 at the back with wingbacks, then you sure as f*ck can’t have Considine playing. Chucking in a youth player at ibrox isn’t sensible (though, neither is changing the formation), but a pacy wing back could’ve provided a bit of attacking width that McInnes probably envisaged us having. What’s Dan Harvie up to...?

Any word on Scott Wright as well, presumably injured? I’ve not read any of the post match comments as I’m in mourning.

Its pretty much the first time I have got angrier as the day goes on after a poor result. I am seething.

Shinnie post match said the Game Plan was to frustrate Rangers so the crowd would get restless and that would  unsettle the Rangers players. What a fucking disgrace. Playing away to a team struggling for form in front of their own fans and we come up with a plan to defend defend defend. Then Tansey decides it is time to give Rangers a penalty so kicks one of them in the chest on the penalty spot. How about attacking from the off and scoring a goal? That would have unsettled the bears a bit. But no no. Six defenders. Jesus wept .  

McInnes is the best manager we have had in decades but he is also the best resourced. That was an absolute fucking shambles last night. We need to fucking win on Sunday. 50k bears singing "this is so fucking easy" cut to the quick. I have taken great pleasure in ridiculing Rangers since their demise, well they absolutely rag dolled us last night with a an under 20 coach at the helm. I continue to rage. I was ashamed of Aberdeen last night. Ashamed. 

DM totally fucked that up yesterday. He is still the best man for the job but that was a fucking travesty last night it could have been 5-0 . That was an idiotic game plan, surrendering the game on the bus down.

Our plan is to defend so the fans get restless. f**k off. 

Not playing any wingers against a team including John and especially Tavernier was criminal. Two good, attacking full-backs with defensive blind-spots, but our setup allowed them to push well up the pitch and not be overly concerned about the consequences. By the time McInnes twigged that this was happening and brought Mackay-Steven on for Tansey, we were 2-0 down and the game was pretty much over. That wasn't our only problem, mind, but something that we absolutely cannot afford to repeat on Sunday. 

Not surprised at how we played as we been inconsistent in most games this season,even some we have won.

I am usually gutted after a defeat but in this instance i was merely disappointed,perhaps i had already mentally prepared myself for it.

That said as an Aberdeen fan i expect a much improved performance on Sunday even without Christie and probably GMS.

As for Rangers fans singing oh so easy....they were right and entitled to sing it.

Over to you DM what are you going to do about it?

Hard to add much to the thoughts of the Dons fans above.
I like some others don’t post much during or after matches as I’m likely to spout emotional shite.
When I saw the line up I pretty much expected what happened. Okay the ref was a homer and that surprises nobody but I just shrugged. Had the Dons been positive and got torn in from the start and then got bad decisions then okay, I’m pissed. But they stared that poorly and were so badly set up they didn’t deserve anything anyway.

As pleasing a result as it was, I'm not going to get carried away.  We've shown fleetingly that we can do that this season, but have been totally unable to put a run of performances like that together.

McRorie had his best game in a Rangers jersey last night sitting in front of the defence.

If i'm being picky, we didn't go for the jugular once we had the extra man advantage.  Aberdeen looked dead on their feet at that point.

Guest Bob Mahelp

3 at the back, 1 somewhere up front miles away, and 6 dicking around in midfield running into each other and marking empty space. 

There was a point after about 30 minutes when I actually laughed out loud. Arnason was dragged out to right-back as the ball went out wide to Windass, Logan was trotting around somewhere near the centre-circle, Shinnie had his head spinning round as he marked nobody but was screaming at McKenna and O'Connor, and Considine looked like he was towing a caravan as Tavernier burst past him to join the attack.

Thank God der *** was rubbish. A good team would have scored 6 or 7. 

Makes you wonder what influence Tony Docherty has over McInnes. Did he sit on the bus on the way down listening and nodding as DM spouted the insanity of team selection and tactics ?

I refuse to believe that 2 sane people could sit together and actually agree that our starting line-up and tactics were a stroke of genius. 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

As pleasing a result as it was, I'm not going to get carried away.  We've shown fleetingly that we can do that this season, but have been totally unable to put a run of performances like that together.

McRorie had his best game in a Rangers jersey last night sitting in front of the defence.

If i'm being picky, we didn't go for the jugular once we had the extra man advantage.  Aberdeen looked dead on their feet at that point.

Kaiser McCrorie put in a good shift  and wee Holt was my MotM but you're right - we let them off the hook.

Sunday's an imponderable.  Do we stick with the same team/formation?  Put Morelos in for Miller?  Go back to how we usually play?  I have no idea but I hope Murty has.  Anyway, here's a pic for the journeyman midfielder/journeyman manager to stick on the home dressing-room wall:

jack.PNG.aaba2ab0b25d033b9873adad3fdf6b37.PNG

Archived