I have the fear again

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here' s the goal to gerry rafferty of all people....

Was about a yard from the post I think.

CBA going through the thread but has anybody mentioned Nade's intelligence, experience and fantastic movement to drag defenders away to open up the space ? Beautiful goal all round.

Can't believe there's any debate over whether that was a red card or not. :lol:

He's really sold us down the river there. People saying we weren't great before the red card, but you have to assume we'd have had more of a chance of winning with 11 on the park.

Ross clearly doesn't fancy John Sutton, for whatever reason (I personally think he's dreamy): a proper out-and-out front two might yet be an option if someone like Loy joined.

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's really sold us down the river there. People saying we weren't great before the red card, but you have to assume we'd have had more of a chance of winning with 11 on the park.

Ross clearly doesn't fancy John Sutton, for whatever reason (I personally think he's dreamy): a proper out-and-out front two might yet be an option if someone like Loy joined.

:ph34r:

Dumbarton Football Club Limited
YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium
Castle Road
DUMBARTON
G82 1JJ

Clicky

Just in case you're reading, Jack.

VikingDirect catalogue??
What's going on So8??

The natural (first on Google) choice for buying stamps online.
My brain now automatically converts the word 'Viking' to 'Virgin' [emoji38]

That is a whole different kind of website.

I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

48 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

:ph34r:

Dumbarton Football Club Limited
YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium
Castle Road
DUMBARTON
G82 1JJ

Clicky

Just in case you're reading, Jack.

If you buy a box big enough you'll be able to squeeze Dale Hilson in there as well.

If you buy a box big enough you'll be able to squeeze Dale Hilson in there as well.

A padded envelope might be the best idea for him. Just to avoid any damage when he's in transit.

I'll happily contribute to the cost of stamps from VikingDirect for both.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Sutton will be gone in January along with Hilson Duffy and Kirkpatrick who will most likely be shipped out on loan to a league one outfit. Jack's choice of squad filler has been questionable to say the least. We really need to bolster the midfield with a Goodwin type and somehow sign a decent striker. I doubt it will be Loy. 

19 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Deliberate or not it's a red card.

The ball was about ten feet away by the time of the collisiion. Therefore I'd contend that it's clumsy at best, deliberate at worst. Probably deliberate.

Definitely a red.

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

If you watch the footage of the sending off again, notice how Stelios makes a quarter turn when he's about a yard away from Wardrop and then leads with his elbow. He's got absolutely no intention of heading that ball. The referee is also perfectly positioned to make a judgement on it.

I always stand up for Saints players, giving them the benefit of doubt whenever possible.

On Saturday from where I was sitting, I could only see Stelios' right arm - which was at his side - and thought (hoped!) he'd just jumped in to the Dumbarton player with both arms at his side.

That footage not only shows that his elbow hit the Sons' players face, but that it absolutely was deliberate.

There is no defending that.

That's twice the last year that we've had players react in a way that's led to them getting a red card and costing the team points.

Jack Ross must make sure the players know that this is completely unacceptable. 

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Sutton will be gone in January along with Hilson Duffy and Kirkpatrick who will most likely be shipped out on loan to a league one outfit. Jack's choice of squad filler has been questionable to say the least. We really need to bolster the midfield with a Goodwin type and somehow sign a decent striker. I doubt it will be Loy. 

Agreed with all that. What makes you say that about Loy? I've heard us signing him could be a reasonably likely outcome.

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Some players are worth taking a punt on though I suppose. Hilson has looked alright when he's played, just can't keep him fit.

If Sutton goes he'll end up staying in the Championship and scoring against us. Guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agreed with all that. What makes you say that about Loy? I've heard us signing him could be a reasonably likely outcome.

He's hardly played much football this season and if we were to sign him say in the Jan window, my concern would be his lack of match fitness and the time it would take for him to reach that status.

Good player though.

On 3 December 2017 at 10:14, Buddist Monk said:

If there was a game to miss, it seems like it was this one, so in that sense I'm glad I avoided this mess.

From reports it seems like we were just off the pace all day long, with the red card simply changing the outcome from a likely draw and possible victory to a likely loss.  Dumbarton should get a lot of credit though, as you can only beat what is put in front of you, and it doesn't matter if that is a team at the top or the bottom of the league.

I've looked at the sending off a couple of times and I know that people will think that I am being bias but I see that far more as just a clumsy challenge with trailing arms than anything else. The ref gave a red and I can see why, but look at the replay he's not even looking at the player, his eyes are on the ball all the time. I need a different angle but I'd put it down to bad judgement than necessarily malicious. I could talk more about Stellios but I'll be surprised if he's still with us come the end of the January window. At his best he is a great asset - in short doses - yet at his worst he is a game loser.

Now, the red card shouldn't be used as the cause of our defeat, albeit it's clearly a catalyst. It just seems like we weren't at the races. We are not Celtic, no matter how many signs we put up ;), so we should not expect long unbeaten runs but, all in all, I'm still a lot happier at the way this season is going than last. I'd much prefer this game being looked at as a missed chance to turn the screw on United rather than a huge pothole in the road that will cause instability in the team.

Stelios only looked at the ball in the last second, he ran at Wardrop and jumped into him. The ball was behind him most of the way.

On 3 December 2017 at 11:10, Buddist Monk said:

It might be a screen grab but why do that when the video of the incident, something that shows it in much greater clarity, was available?

As I say, it weakens your case. I for example could argue that the Dumbarton player is the one showing aggression. He is looking directly at the player while Stellios is not. Your natural response would be, "that's not true, look at the video" and thus this is my point.

Posting a static image of something we already have moving footage for does nothing but reduce the amount of evidence available and conversely increases the conjecture available.

Do I need to state that I don't disagree that it was both stupid and that the referee gave a red card? I'm not arguing over that, just the granular

Wardrop is facing the ball, that's why he is facing stelios. 

Archived