West Region fixtures "to March"

glensmad

2 hours ago, energyzone said:

Is it actually forbidden?

As with all things in the juniors it's up to the clubs to present a united front and demand change.

Ardrossan played a Friday night match under the floodlights last season. It must be allowed at some level.

I was at the assumption it was not allowed, but i'm just guessing as no hard facts, my assumption being that nobody does it so then it must be outlawed. Plenty friendlies every midweek.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem here with the lack of fixtures is that we can’t tell if the plan that was voted through by a landslide at the AGM does work or not because it isn’t being implemented correctly (or at all).

If Scott really thinks it won’t work, or can’t work, the best thing he can do is issue fixtures exactly as the constitution says and prove himself correct, or not.

For as long as he doesn’t implement it, he will always be the one in the wrong.

The problem here with the lack of fixtures is that we can’t tell if the plan that was voted through by a landslide at the AGM does work or not because it isn’t being implemented correctly (or at all).

If Scott really thinks it won’t work, or can’t work, the best thing he can do is issue fixtures exactly as the constitution says and prove himself correct, or not.

For as long as he doesn’t implement it, he will always be the one in the wrong.

Nail on the head.

4 hours ago, glensmad said:

My understanding is that matches are allowed under floodlights if both teams are agreeable to it.

Beith played a league game against Glenafton on the astroturf under floodlights in 1990/91.

So pretty sure you are correct that it's never been outlawed.

5 minutes ago, energyzone said:

So have the clubs who have floodlights (Cumnock, Rutherglen, Ardrossan etc) made attempts to play competitive games using them recently?

Our lights were used for a couple of midweek matches towards the end of last season at the request of the referee. But no, we haven't requested to play competitive matches at this time of year under our floodlights. I do remember about 8 or 9 years ago that we played East Kilbride Thistle in a league match under the lights with  later kick off than all of the other games that night.

Playing under lights has never been outlawed only that a club can refuse to play under them...as if the club with lights would be gaining an unfair advantage lol. It's not just the Sjfa that are stuck in the past the clubs are as well , those with lights never take advantage of them.
We've played a few games under lights, but they weren't arranged specifically as such, they were midweek games that were already scheduled and moved them to a later kick off which suited players and fans of both clubs alike.

I remember the lights being switched on mid game at Petershill and i heard someone muttering "have they asked us if they can do that?"
Prehistoric.
Not naming names, but a top West Region official threatened to put a protest in a few years back because the lights were turned on without asking them first.

Wednesday 17th February 1965 and Neilston beat Kilwinning Rangers 4-3 at Brig O'Lea in the first ever junior competitive match under floodlights.  Match footage was recorded by STV and shown later that evening in Scotsport alongside the Inter Milan v Rangers European Cup quarter final.  Almost 53 years later we're still talking about floodlights like it's some new fangled thing.

It's my understanding that they're not that expensive. I'd imagine that some clubs who have them train under them in fair weather.

We stoped using them years ago for training because it meant the park was suffering due to over use

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
5 hours ago, clash city rocker said:
Playing under lights has never been outlawed only that a club can refuse to play under them...as if the club with lights would be gaining an unfair advantage lol. It's not just the Sjfa that are stuck in the past the clubs are as well , those with lights never take advantage of them.

We've played a few games under lights, but they weren't arranged specifically as such, they were midweek games that were already scheduled and moved them to a later kick off which suited players and fans of both clubs alike.

Play Ladeside next season Friday night. We will be up for it.

Archived