West Region fixtures "to March"

glensmad

Loads of these pitches are being shown up for what they are and that's not " all weather " , once the frost gets into them and below a certain temp its games a bogey mostly just like grass parks , must be quite galling to spend hundreds of thousands on them only to be called off at the first sign of frost

Which pitches are you referring to ?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which pitches are you referring to ?

One glimpse of social media gives you the answer , clubs up and down the country arranged friendly games in synthetic only for them to be called off as well , they don't do what they say on the tin .

One glimpse of social media gives you the answer , clubs up and down the country arranged friendly games in synthetic only for them to be called off as well , they don't do what they say on the tin .

Can you name them ?

Cumnock state of the art , beith meadowside state of the art , crossgates had their friendly on synthetic called off , looked at dozens of other friendlies that were arranged for the carpet that were called off up and down the country , don't know which part of me saying that these pitches aren't all weather that you aren't really getting to be honest .

Artificial pitches are in no way all weather - stick inches of snow on them and the game will likely be off. If they freeze then the game will be off.

However they are still far more likely to have a game on them than grass pitches in the current weather - with the modern pitch being as  good as grass its a shame more clubs don't have them but sadly there does seem to be a vocal minority still stuck in the 1950s who cant see the way forward for football at this level.

Cumnock state of the art , beith meadowside state of the art , crossgates had their friendly on synthetic called off , looked at dozens of other friendlies that were arranged for the carpet that were called off up and down the country , don't know which part of me saying that these pitches aren't all weather that you aren't really getting to be honest .

I'm not sure why there's a bit of attitude to your reply, as I wasn't in any way doubting or disagreeing with you. I only asked you to tell me which pitches were off, as I wasn't aware of the answer. I notice that the ones you have named were in areas that had snow, so the cancellations were understandable.

There have been games on Petershill Park all day yesterday and today, and it's -4 in Springburn at the moment. Tbh if an artificial pitch is frozen off at anything above -7 or so then they have ballsed up the drainage when building it. I would imagine most of those off yesterday were due to snow, all the ones I know of in Glasgow were getting used.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

There have been games on Petershill Park all day yesterday and today, and it's -4 in Springburn at the moment. Tbh if an artificial pitch is frozen off at anything above -7 or so then they have ballsed up the drainage when building it. I would imagine most of those off yesterday were due to snow, all the ones I know of in Glasgow were getting used.

So don't you just clear the lines then ?

No, if you scrape the snow off then you take the pellets off the park. IMO you also have to factor in spectator safety as well though when temperatures go below zero.

I heard about the rubber pellet scenario in the past and perfectly understand it but always thought it kind of defeats the purpose of these pitches though as they should be " playable " after snowfall , a grass pitch should be as well if the lines are cleared enough and the snow isn't too heavy , get the orange ball out and game on [emoji2]Sadly this current generation who are coming through will never know what it's like to play old school fitba'.......................????

Motherwell's  under 20s were due to play on Benburbs park today but was called off 50mins before KO by the referee because the pitch was frozen.

To be fair, I was in Govan this morning and early afternoon and the temperature didn't rise above minus 4, with freezing fog. It's not surprising that any surface would struggle with that.

5 minutes ago, glensmad said:

To be fair, I was in Govan this morning and early afternoon and the temperature didn't rise above minus 4, with freezing fog. It's not surprising that any surface would struggle with that.

Totally agree but I  was under the impression that these surfaces were generally OK up to -7 but I guess prolonged frost means they don't get the chance to thaw out.

Kind of refutes the claim that they are all weather though.

Totally agree but I  was under the impression that these surfaces were generally OK up to -7 but I guess prolonged frost means they don't get the chance to thaw out.
Kind of refutes the claim that they are all weather though.

I never refer to them as "all-weather" pitches for that very reason.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

No, if you scrape the snow off then you take the pellets off the park. IMO you also have to factor in spectator safety as well though when temperatures go below zero.

Remember a Kilbirnie game at Petershill when it was blowing a hooly and advertising boards were flying across pitch trying to take out players...even that bad that Michael Moore scored. Spectator safety was na a concern that day lol

Remember a Kilbirnie game at Petershill when it was blowing a hooly and advertising boards were flying across pitch trying to take out players...even that bad that Michael Moore scored. Spectator safety was na a concern that day lol

Don't know if you watch the NFL, but the Buffalo Bills were at home today and it snowed just a wee bit. They play in a stadium that has no cover.

6673589ed19b0221524d82298ff15901.jpg

35 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Don't know if you watch the NFL, but the Buffalo Bills were at home today and it snowed just a wee bit. They play in a stadium that has no cover.

6673589ed19b0221524d82298ff15901.jpg

The NFL see it as a source of pride that they'll put games on in anything that isn't actively life-threatening - there was the memorable Fog Bowl in the 80s that was televised but no-one actually could actually see:

fogbowl-1.jpg

There was also the playoff game between the Bengals and Chargers which took place in Cincinnati when the temperature was -9 with the wind chill taking it down to -37...the Bengals psyched out their opponents successfully by playing the game in short sleeves...

The NFL see it as a source of pride that they'll put games on in anything that isn't actively life-threatening - there was the memorable Fog Bowl in the 80s that was televised but no-one actually could actually see:

fogbowl-1.jpg.c7b798f7eb645563c3d7d3f1b5bdec5b.jpg

My missus was asking what it would take to actually cancel/abandon a game. Hurricanes or electrical storms are the only things I've seen stop play.

1 hour ago, clash city rocker said:

I had one of my cameras and a tripod blown over and both were broken at that game.

Archived