The last Meh Derby of the year

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I hear what you're saying, but some of the biggest clubs in Europe play in the busiest cities where traffic must be a nightmare. Can you imagine Messi not starting el Classico because he's running late?

Those clubs are obviously on a different level though. For home games they'll all meet the night before, stay in a 5 star hotel then get taxid in the clubs luxury coach to the ground. Even then there was the famous case of Man United getting to West Ham late a couple of seasons ago because of the London traffic.  Can't see Steve forking out for about 20 B&B places along the Dunkeld Road on a Friday night somehow. I've never heard of this happening before so obviously it's a one off due to exceptional circumstances. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear what you're saying, but some of the biggest clubs in Europe play in the busiest cities where traffic must be a nightmare. Can you imagine Messi not starting el Classico because he's running late?

As has been said, it's a different world. Maybe we'll now change the routine, but I suspect it's something we've done during Wrights entire tenure. If he is lashing out at the players who got caught up then it's purely to deflect from how big an arse he made of the game.

Were the players actually there for kick off and it was just the case they were late to the ground for warm ups or were there a couple of spare seats in the dug-out at 3pm?

I'd have thought players being at the ground 2, 2.5 hours prior to kick-off would largely be standard. So for a 3pm kick-off you'd be thinking they'd be there for around 12:30pm or 1pm at the latest. From reading the news about it the accident is supposed to have happened around 12:40pm.

As others have said if it's no different to their usual routine then (other than the fact Saints lost the game) it's difficult to see why Wright's getting worked up about it as it's something that's almost certainly an incident that's outside the control of the players and presumably Wright's never had an issue with the scheduling until now.

If they were running late and the accident's compounded that then I suppose it's a different story.

Didn't see MOH until halfway through half time when he went through the stretches on his own. He then stormed down the tunnel when the final two subs came on.

Accident closed the road from 12:40 until 16:45, so all the traffic that usually heads down that motorway was forced down a one lane B road through Braco.

As I say, it happened a few weeks back when I went to Glasgow, and it held us up for almost two hours longer than it would've, and that was us being one of the first able to get through the B road, if you'd been further back you could add an hour on to that.

Cannot understand why we left MOH, and why TW is completely ripping into him and Foster, when I doubt he's had the time to even talk to them about it.

Amy McDonald on Twitter making comments about "only following orders" when a fans made a remark about how Foster should be leaving earlier for matches.

1) Liam Craig - a totaly bizarre thing that I can't wait to see again in the highlights.

It was embarrassing. A trundling ball at snails pace and he completely fresh airs it.

19 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I think him and Foster not making it on time was pathetic.  Completely reeks of Sunday Pub League.  Okay so there was an accident, but they should be leaving to get to the Park in loads of time. But to not even make kick-off??!! 

The killie team bus made it in plenty time, most of their support made it in time.  Little sympathy, and I can understand why the manager would have been raging when his plans are completely thrown into disarray. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

As has been said, it's a different world. Maybe we'll now change the routine, but I suspect it's something we've done during Wrights entire tenure. If he is lashing out at the players who got caught up then it's purely to deflect from how big an arse he made of the game.

My assumption would be that these players generally turn up very close to the specified time and have probably been warned before about it.   TW comments about other players coming from the same area and making it in time would lead me to this assumption.

If you are doing well then people would praise the managers discipline and point to it as one of the reasons why you are doing well.  If not then then, as you said RG, it looks like the manager has cut his nose off to spite his face.

Kilmarnock apparently stayed overnight. I've never overly thought about how early players turn up, always sort of assumed it was hours before. I'm loathe to start ripping into players over it until someone confirms they were leaving any later than they are told to. Kilmarnocks SLO was on Twitter saying their bus didnt move for over half an hour, can assume thats the same traffic they got stuck in. I went to Glasgow a few weeks back and there was an accident at the same area, and it took almost two hours for the road to re-open.

I’d have assumed the players would be there for their lunch. Makes sense to get them there early and the club can control their pre-match nutrition and the players can relax etc.

For players to get caught up in football traffic seems bizarre.

St Johnstone midfielder Chris Millar has defended himself and three other players who missed kick-off against Kilmarnock after a road accident.

Manager Tommy Wright expressed his unhappiness at having to change his line-up before kick-off on Saturday.

And only Michael O'Halloran of the delayed players made the bench for Saints' 2-1 Premiership defeat.

"Been leaving at that time for 10 years," Millar said on Twitter. "Never missed a kick-off once."

O'Halloran and Richard Foster were in Wright's original starting line-up, but were replaced with Graham Cummins and Liam Gordon after the carload of players was held up by an accident on the A9 in Stirlingshire, the same route navigated by the visitors earlier on.

Millar, Foster and Denny Johnstone were not included in Wright's reshuffled squad, while on-loan Rangers forward O'Halloran did not get on.

"Hope that the families and everyone involved in the crash on A9 today is OK," said Millar. "Terrible accident literally 10 cars in front of our car pool."

Police said two drivers were taken to hospital after the accident, which happened at 12.25 GMT, with the players less than half an hour from Perth.

A large stretch of the road was closed for more than four hours.

Millar was responding to former Rangers midfielder Gavin Rae, who had said: "Players should have left earlier. Killie made it."

However, Miller pointed out that the visiting squad had allowed themselves to arrive early for lunch ahead of the 15:00 kick-off.

"Killie went for pre-match," he said.

Wright did not speak to the media after the match, but Killie manager Steve Clarke expressed concern for the crash victims.

"I was obviously aware there was something going on in the background but it's not our issue," Clarke said. "We were here in plenty of time for the game.

"I'm sorry for Tommy that it worked out like that, but these things happen. I just hope everybody involved in the accident is OK."

20 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Those clubs are obviously on a different level though. For home games they'll all meet the night before, stay in a 5 star hotel then get taxid in the clubs luxury coach to the ground. Even then there was the famous case of Man United getting to West Ham late a couple of seasons ago because of the London traffic.  Can't see Steve forking out for about 20 B&B places along the Dunkeld Road on a Friday night somehow. I've never heard of this happening before so obviously it's a one off due to exceptional circumstances. 

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just going to have to agree to disagree here. It's done now, so there's no point in labouring it.

Disappointing not to build on the Hibs result and get some momentum going.

One positive was Callum Hendry.. didn't seem overawed at all and I expect with the amount of games over December we could be seeing him getting a start soon.

I’d have assumed the players would be there for their lunch. Makes sense to get them there early and the club can control their pre-match nutrition and the players can relax etc.

For players to get caught up in football traffic seems bizarre.

Rightly or wrongly 1 o'clock seems to have been the meeting time for home games for years. They were on course to make it for that time. Accidents on that stretch of road can hold you up for 2-3 hours easily, especially if it's fatal.

Maybe now they'll start meeting at 10/11, which, should, take away any issues.

Just find it bizarre how TW has lashed out so harshly on the players considering they've only been held back by a freak event, and it's him who controls when they're meant to arrive for a match.

Biggest problem for me is it seems like Alston was due to start regardless..

Rightly or wrongly 1 o'clock seems to have been the meeting time for home games for years. They were on course to make it for that time. Accidents on that stretch of road can hold you up for 2-3 hours easily, especially if it's fatal.

Maybe now they'll start meeting at 10/11, which, should, take away any issues.

Just find it bizarre how TW has lashed out so harshly on the players considering they've only been held back by a freak event, and it's him who controls when they're meant to arrive for a match.

Biggest problem for me is it seems like Alston was due to start regardless..

According to a report ‘most’ of the Killie fans made it in for kick off so maybe your players were a wee bit behind schedule and got caught up. Who knows. Anyway getting them there for 11/12 from now on would sort it out.

Regarding Alston did he not have an assist on Saturday? He really impressed me the times I seen him in his last season for Falkirk. Thought he’d be a solid signing.

31 minutes ago, Daydream said:

According to a report ‘most’ of the Killie fans made it in for kick off so maybe your players were a wee bit behind schedule and got caught up. Who knows. Anyway getting them there for 11/12 from now on would sort it out.

Regarding Alston did he not have an assist on Saturday? He really impressed me the times I seen him in his last season for Falkirk. Thought he’d be a solid signing.

I reckon it's because we were later that we didn't get caught up actually. By the time we reached the M9 it was already shut and we were diverted through the Land That Time Forgot. We made it to the game around 5 past, (just in time for the first goal thankfully). If someone was an hour earlier than the bulk of Killie fans then they'd be stuck on the road itself with no option but to wait it out.

Archived