NorthernLights

Local Council c***s

Angus strike again

Charging at local leisure centres for football/fives even if you're already paying the monthly fee for full use of the facilities = cancellations in three figures already.

What a shambles

In terms of local council scandals, the statutory notice scandal in Edinburgh is probably the worst I've heard of in Scotland.  Following the tragic death of a waitress in Ryan's Bar (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/811988.stm) the council put in place a scheme to ensure that Edinburgh's many historic buildings and tenements were kept up to proper maintenance standards.  The council property services department would inspect communal buildings and areas and if repairs were required the council would issue a 'statutory notice' requiring all residents to pay for the work.  The large number of tenement flats, often rented out, meant that there was the danger of stairwells and roofs falling into disrepair.  At the time the inquiry said that there could be up to 5,000 buildings in Edinburgh falling into disrepair (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1386006/Girls-death-brings-call-for-building-safety-audit.html).
So far, so good eh?  Public buildings falling to pieces, endangering the public - that's why we have councils and governments.  However, as the 2000s wore on the scheme began to attract some grumblings - residents complained that they were stuck with huge bills, some were forced to sell their flats rather than pay the five or six figure repair bills.  Businesses couldn't afford them and had to close.  The BBC investigated and found that some of the repair work was unnecessary and was below the required standards.
However, investigations also showed that the money being spent on statutory notices was increasing - from around £9m in 2005 to £30m in 2010.  Other journalists and investigators began to look at the property services department in the council, finding that there seemed to be little oversight of the scheme, that there were lax processes in the accounting around it and also that some documents relating to it had been destroyed.  There were also gaps in funding, with nearly £27m claimed from the council before residents had been billed for it, effectively putting the council at a loss. 
In 2010, the whole thing began to crumble when a whistleblower wrote an anonymous letter about council employee Charles Owenson, saying he was showing favouritism to a particular contractor, ABC Ltd, in terms ofwork.  An investigation began, during which time it was found that the book used by the property care department to record hospitality and meetings with contrctors had gone missing.  Emails were found from the property services department to the contracting company, one of which read "“How about ****** givin us free transport down to Gullane and back with a courtesy stretch limo. We are looking for free transport and some liquid refreshments.”.  It was found that members of the property services department had building work done on their house free of charge by ABC Ltd, that they were given football tickets and had trips to lap-dancing bars all paid for by the contractors.  
At this point police action was inevitable and two council sorkers, Owenson and his colleague James Costello, and the two contractors, kevin Balmer and Brendan Cantwell, pleaded guilty to fraud and money laundering charges.  A number of other employees were sacked but not prosecuted.  ABC Ltd, which at it's height turned over £4m a year, employed over 70 people and took around 95% of it's business from council work orders, went into liquidation.  I've never heard of anyone else being looked at, although several whistleblowers said that the ABC scandal was the tip of the iceberg.  Of all the scandals I've heard about in Scottish politics, this is the most Sopranos like,  I can just see the council staff being lead into the backroom of the Bing while the kickbacks pile up.

Its a long time ago but i don't remember ever seeing a breakdown of costs or indeed a "bill".Just a letter through the door demanding £5000 or some other ludicrously arbitrary sum.Mine was all tenament roof repairs and chimney stuff so you couldn't even see what they had done.Roof was still leaking when i sold it....

2 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Its a long time ago but i don't remember ever seeing a breakdown of costs or indeed a "bill".Just a letter through the door demanding £5000 or some other ludicrously arbitrary sum.Mine was all tenament roof repairs and chimney stuff so you couldn't even see what they had done.Roof was still leaking when i sold it....

I think some homeowners got together and requested breakdowns.  The BBC produced a documentary at the time where they got independent builders to inspect the work done and found it was unnecessary.  They also found that the contracters had claimed to have used top of the range materials and billed as such but had actually used a load of cheap crap.

I think some homeowners got together and requested breakdowns.  The BBC produced a documentary at the time where they got independent builders to inspect the work done and found it was unnecessary.  They also found that the contracters had claimed to have used top of the range materials and billed as such but had actually used a load of cheap crap.

That will explain the leak then.I can still see the good side of the system though as you could force a repair to be done even when your feckless neighbours in a stair would rather the roof fell in before they agreed to anything.

That area is rife with pedestrians that think they have the right of way just by stepping onto the tarmac ; you would be doing a public service in most cases.
It was more of a go at areas like Arthur's Seat. That and the council's lack of transparency with some of the roads still be 30mph zones, because a fair few drivers will stick to 20mph on Ferry/Telford/Costrophine Roads. 

pedestrians do have right of way just by stepping onto the tarmac. Except in urban clearways.

Our local council have rejected a plea to help fund the local food bank meaning its likely to close.

Our local council have rejected a plea to help fund the local food bank meaning its likely to close.

Where's this?

Where's this?

Perth.

It’s actually disgusted me, they’re closing care homes, schools, not funding the food bank.

Also they have underestimated the salt and grit for winter, advising locals to stock up.

And apparently will be charging £25 a year to pick up your garden waste bins.

Perth.

It’s actually disgusted me, they’re closing care homes, schools, not funding the food bank.

Also they have underestimated the salt and grit for winter, advising locals to stock up.

And apparently will be charging £25 a year to pick up your garden waste bins.
Angus brought in the last one last year, which caused some spectacular seethe.

Our Foodbanks are pretty safe, if overstretched with the clusterfuck of Universal Credit.

Some genius also decided to charge leisure centre members extra for football which has now resulted in hundreds of cancellations. Fucking idiots.

18 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

Last two posts......vote Tory get Tory

Yup. Fucking idiots. 

Although one pleasing aspect is that all the seething idiots who couldn't wait to bin the SNP administration are now up in arms at the useless Tory fuckers they've elected instead. 

Getting Kirstene Hair as an MP though has been a fucking disaster. Not only is she lazy, but she's genuinely stupid. 

9 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Yup. Fucking idiots. 

Although one pleasing aspect is that all the seething idiots who couldn't wait to bin the SNP administration are now up in arms at the useless Tory fuckers they've elected instead. 

Getting Kirstene Hair as an MP though has been a fucking disaster. Not only is she lazy, but she's genuinely stupid. 

I see that she's pedalling the line that Douglas Ross was the one who was kicking up a stink about delivery charges to rural locations and completely overlooking the fact that was one of the Moray SNP folk who started it all:

I see that she's pedalling the line that Douglas Ross was the one who was kicking up a stink about delivery charges to rural locations and completely overlooking the fact that was one of the Moray SNP folk who started it all:

Yup, a lying mendacious arsehole. A snap GE resulting in her being binned would be magnificent.

Cuts in Local Authority funding has become a norm and there seems to be very little pushback against it.

It is over 20 years since I was politically involved but back in the day there was real opposition to these cuts that led to political change.

It was a primary school closure programme by the Tories in Tayside in the early 80s that saw the Council going from a comfortable Tory majority to a Labour minority.  Given the politics of the area at that time this was a major shock.

Sadly there seems to be more acceptance these days that the cuts to services will continue, or maybe people are stupid enough to think it’s the SNP’s fault because they’re the government in Scotland.

On 06/12/2017 at 13:49, Loondave1 said:

Just the norm, I had to pay my cut of £5200 for a hundred or so roof tiles, scaffolding is expensive was the council reply, 2 days of a 6 metre tower costs buttons and a new roof would have cost £6/£8k, the less councils get their hands on the better as far as I'm concerned, incompetent at best, crooked b*****ds at worst.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:17, jupe1407 said:

Yup, a lying mendacious arsehole. A snap GE resulting in her being binned would be magnificent.

She really is a gobshite. An odious, gulping at fresh air, out of her depth wee toad.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

Aberdeen have a Provost called Barney Crockett?  Minter.  :lol: