Local Council c***s

NorthernLights

Idiot Labour cooncil flogged off the Glasgow Corporation buses to Firstbus who gave up on some routes so some city routes are now McGills or Stagecoach or any number of wee companies. I mean, Vienna manages to have one body running the buses and trams and underground, but thanks to privatisation Glasgow needs a dozen. Even though there are nae trams.

Embra buses are great, though.

3 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Idiot Labour cooncil flogged off the Glasgow Corporation buses to Firstbus who gave up on some routes so some city routes are now McGills or Stagecoach or any number of wee companies. I mean, Vienna manages to have one body running the buses and trams and underground, but thanks to privatisation Glasgow needs a dozen. Even though there are nae trams.

Embra buses are great, though.

True enough. The Lothian Buses company is owned by the Councils for Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian (91%, 3%, 5%, 1%).

It would be an absolute tragedy if it was ever sold off but thankfully there seems little prospect of that ever happening.

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

I must be missing something here.  What’s wrong with the transport system in Edinburgh?  I don’t live there any more but it seemed perfectly OK when I moved out.  I still use it on my infrequent trips into town and don’t see any issues.

Try moving out of the city if you want to see shite public transport.  Truly atrocious where I live now.

Dalkeith used to have 3 bus services directly going into the city centre now we only have 1 bus service that has 3 buses a hour. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

The bus service is good, generally considered one of the best in Britain I believe. There's obviously gaps in it though, for various reasons.

The issues with transport and traffic in Edinburgh can be traced all the way back to the Beeching cuts and the death of the suburban/light rail railways in the city, alongside the more obvious stuff like the fact much of the city wasn't designed to carry large amounts of traffic.

Look what they took from us.

29471352376_b06101bc5a_b.thumb.jpg.f26cc4ea92f89fbd079ee3c6a1d200d8.jpg

Most of this is now built over of course, but just imagine this as a modern light railway or tram network.

3 hours ago, Chris Partlow said:

The bus service is good, generally considered one of the best in Britain I believe. There's obviously gaps in it though, for various reasons.

The issues with transport and traffic in Edinburgh can be traced all the way back to the Beeching cuts and the death of the suburban/light rail railways in the city, alongside the more obvious stuff like the fact much of the city wasn't designed to carry large amounts of traffic.

Look what they took from us.

29471352376_b06101bc5a_b.thumb.jpg.f26cc4ea92f89fbd079ee3c6a1d200d8.jpg

Most of this is now built over of course, but just imagine this as a modern light railway or tram network.

I used to have a flat near the old Blackford Station, held on to it for 5 years too long as I thought it would be worth a packet if they did the sensible thing and reopened them.........

On 06/02/2018 at 21:53, NorthernLights said:

Aberdeen City Council has a SNP majority, a situation abhorrent to unionists.

The Press and Journal, Evening Express newspapers are owned by the Unionist Tory Thomsons.

And there is no way on this earth that Thomson newspapers will support, on any level, SNP Councils or Government.

As a btw try and find out how much the Thomson family is worth.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Aberdeen City Council has a SNP majority, a situation abhorrent to unionists.

The Press and Journal, Evening Express newspapers are owned by the Unionist Tory Thomsons.

And there is no way on this earth that Thomson newspapers will support, on any level, SNP Councils or Government.

As a btw try and find out how much the Thomson family is worth.

Just to point out that I posted that over 5 years ago when ACC was run by a "Labour"/Tory coalition.

30 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Just to point out that I posted that over 5 years ago when ACC was run by a "Labour"/Tory coalition.

I was going to point that out but you beat me to it.

Our council has been shit under all parties. It's not specific to one.

30 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

And how much are the Thomson family worth?

I've tried to find out and failed.

You get the Gloags and the likes of Tom Hunter easily.

2 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

And how much are the Thomson family worth?

I've tried to find out and failed.

You get the Gloags and the likes of Tom Hunter easily.

£1.5bn according to the Times rich list.

Scotland's Rich List: Here are the 10 wealthiest people in Scotland - and their net worth (scotsman.com)

Edited by Suspect Device

On 29/12/2023 at 10:55, Leith Green said:

Final point though - Councillor Scott Arthur is, indeed, a p***k.

Scott Arthur's the labour pick for Edinburgh South West, he'll be my MP this time next year. Yay! 🙂

29 minutes ago, orfc said:

Scott Arthur's the labour pick for Edinburgh South West, he'll be my MP this time next year. Yay! 🙂

Sounds like the Burnistoun sketch where the dude - moaning about what was it, a roundabout or traffic lights - who was elected to the Council ended up as Prime Minister.

We should all be careful who we vote for.

On 03/01/2024 at 14:34, orfc said:

I wonder if he will be as keen to work with the Conservatives in Westminster as he is as council leader?

A snake.

On 03/01/2024 at 14:34, orfc said:

If it means he's away from Edinburgh Council the better. 

• 3 weeks later...

Edinburgh trams and the mystery of the crumbling tenement - BBC News

The first sign there was something wrong came in early December. At a residents' meeting in the block of flats in Edinburgh's Newhaven, one of the neighbours told the others about a 3cm crack that had appeared on the external wall of their bay window. An independent engineer was asked to come and take a look at the damage.

He told the city council he was concerned and the following week every one of the 12 flats received a letter saying the local authority would have to put up scaffolding at some point to make sure the building was safe. Christmas came and went, the year turned, and that that was the last the residents heard about it.

Until Monday evening, when they were told the building was no longer safe and they had to leave immediately. A dozen households were made homeless in Monday's evacuation. They were given an hour to leave, with council officials going from door to door breaking the bad news. The main road outside has been completely closed and none of them has been allowed to return.

Also affected are the three businesses that take up the ground floor of the corner block - a laundrette, a takeaway and a pub. They had no idea there were any issues with the building until Monday, when staff were given 10 minutes to clear the bar.

Emergency scaffolding is due to go up this weekend then further inspections will be carried out to see whether it is safe for the families to return. In the meantime, the road outside remains closed to traffic and pedestrians - but the trams continue to run.

On 27/01/2024 at 09:43, HibeeJibee said:

Edinburgh trams and the mystery of the crumbling tenement - BBC News

The first sign there was something wrong came in early December. At a residents' meeting in the block of flats in Edinburgh's Newhaven, one of the neighbours told the others about a 3cm crack that had appeared on the external wall of their bay window. An independent engineer was asked to come and take a look at the damage.

He told the city council he was concerned and the following week every one of the 12 flats received a letter saying the local authority would have to put up scaffolding at some point to make sure the building was safe. Christmas came and went, the year turned, and that that was the last the residents heard about it.

Until Monday evening, when they were told the building was no longer safe and they had to leave immediately. A dozen households were made homeless in Monday's evacuation. They were given an hour to leave, with council officials going from door to door breaking the bad news. The main road outside has been completely closed and none of them has been allowed to return.

Also affected are the three businesses that take up the ground floor of the corner block - a laundrette, a takeaway and a pub. They had no idea there were any issues with the building until Monday, when staff were given 10 minutes to clear the bar.

Emergency scaffolding is due to go up this weekend then further inspections will be carried out to see whether it is safe for the families to return. In the meantime, the road outside remains closed to traffic and pedestrians - but the trams continue to run.

Another culprit is those heavy new electric buses that Edinburgh (and Glasgow) are introducing.