Fairy Queens V The Highlanders

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Highlights are on the Inverness site now.

Have to say, as I thought at the time, that's never ever in a million years a penalty kick no matter how much John Robertson shouts and stamps his feet about it. The main reasons for this being:
1 - It's about half a yard outside the penalty area,
2 - It's not a foul, and
3 - What contact there is is instigated by Charlie Trafford running into Jordan Marshall.

Other than all that though it's a great shout!

Having watched it again, I agree that it's probably not a penalty. 

It's less clear cut than you're implying though.  The contact is inside the box in my view and it comes from Marshall striving to get goal side. He does get clattered, more than the other way around though, so the decision was right.  It was close enough however, for there to be nothing silly about an appeal.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Having watched it again, I agree that it's probably not a penalty. 

It's less clear cut than you're implying though.  The contact is inside the box in my view and it comes from Marshall striving to get goal side. He does get clattered, more than the other way around though, so the decision was right.  It was close enough however, for there to be nothing silly about an appeal.

The contact in that incident is clearly at least a foot before they enter the box. Trafford barges Marshall over and they both fall into the box but the contact is outside.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The contact in that incident is clearly at least a foot before they enter the box. Trafford barges Marshall over and they both fall into the box but the contact is outside.

I disagree.

I think the point at which their legs tangle - the point at which any foul arising from the incident would have happened - occurs when they've already reached the box.

I think the contact happens on the line which would make it a penalty if it was a foul but I don't think it was. Just two guys coming together. I shouted for a penalty at the time but having seen it back it would have been harsh to award a spot kick.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I disagree.

I think the point at which their legs tangle - the point at which any foul arising from the incident would have happened - occurs when they've already reached the box.

But the tangle of legs only happens after Trafford knocks Marshall off his feet by barging into his shoulder, which he does at least a foot to 18 inches outside the box. Marshall is already on his way to ground by then and can't possibly be committing a foul. He's facing his own goal by then as he goes down with Trafford behind him. If there's a foul at all in that incident it's committed BY Trafford, though I don't think there is any foul.

Archived