Fairy Queens V The Highlanders

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under normal circumstances I would not be in favour of a postponement. However, by the sounds of things the players and management witnessed a traumatic scene. If that is the case then my personal view is that the well-being of the players and coaching staff is more important than today's match.

I don't have a complete picture of what may have happened so I don't want to commit 100% to how I feel about it.

Enjoyed an even match and the draw was fair enough, thought Kane was their best player and surprised to see him subbed, Dobbie and Marshall put in a good shift too.

Caley worked hard but there were some wayward passes which cost, subbing Baird and Bell was a good move as they were constantly snuffed out with a good solid big defence, for me our MoM was Donaldson who with Mackay did well, as I said an even game and the draw did not disappoint as both teams had goal chances.

Someone mentioned John Rankine was playing, did anybody see him?

I don't there would be any danger of Queens calling off this having played 2 midweeks in a row and rearranging another midweek just before playing Dunfermline and Dundee Utd wouldn't be ideal when we have one of the thinnest  squads in the league and poor enough home crowds as it is.

As for the game and it was very much a team that has played two midweeks in a row versus a team that got in at 3am last night. We probably played the better stuff and created the better chances but ran out of steam in the second half. The changes Naysmith made probably didn't help us much especially McFadden who looked like he wanted to be anywhere else.  Overall it wasn't the worst game of football I've seen this season, probably a missed opportunity like Dumbarton midweek but not the end of the world drawing that.

Inverness weren't all that different from the game up there, solid at the back but offered next to nothing going forward, Raven overlapping against Dobbie playing as a winger caused us grief but he had nobody attacking  the ball to cause us any trouble. Baird was nowhere which just makes me sad as he isn't the snarling wee dick that he should be. Like up there Inverness were quite physical and had some robust  and cynical challenges particularly in the second half. Towards the end i was concerned we had ran out steam and they would nick a goal but they were largely kept at arms length. They at least had some shots on target compared to last time.

Dykes I thought competed very well especially the second half, there seemed to be countless times where he would win a flick on and Kane would fail to do anything with it.  Kane is just busy without ever looking like scoring, at least with Dykes he holds the ball up and link up but Kane just doesn't look like scoring any time soon. Dobbie is trying but he is  forcing everything too much rather than playing naturally but for playing out wide, he did ok, hopefully that's just a result of circumstance rather than a long term thing.

Mercer did fine and sometimes that is enough, he got beaten once by Mulraney but he held up largely, he isn't going to do very much going forward but with Stirling there he did what he need to.  Marshall did a good job with having a load of overload and got forward a bit better than recently.

A game Queens should have  won .Had many chances but if Dobbie is off his game like today we have no one who can gets us goals.

Dykes and Kane played well today but we really need goals from them something neither looks like they can give us

Queens played well as a team today but just have no goals in the team.

Queens tired badly in the last 15 mins and on another day Marshall could have gave away a pen but that was really our only problem

I don't there would be any danger of Queens calling off this having played 2 midweeks in a row and rearranging another midweek just before playing Dunfermline and Dundee Utd wouldn't be ideal when we have one of the thinnest  squads in the league and poor enough home crowds as it is.
As for the game and it was very much a team that has played two midweeks in a row versus a team that got in at 3am last night. We probably played the better stuff and created the better chances but ran out of steam in the second half. The changes Naysmith made probably didn't help us much especially McFadden who looked like he wanted to be anywhere else.  Overall it wasn't the worst game of football I've seen this season, probably a missed opportunity like Dumbarton midweek but not the end of the world drawing that.
Inverness weren't all that different from the game up there, solid at the back but offered next to nothing going forward, Raven overlapping against Dobbie playing as a winger caused us grief but he had nobody attacking  the ball to cause us any trouble. Baird was nowhere which just makes me sad as he isn't the snarling wee dick that he should be. Like up there Inverness were quite physical and had some robust  and cynical challenges particularly in the second half. Towards the end i was concerned we had ran out steam and they would nick a goal but they were largely kept at arms length. They at least had some shots on target compared to last time.
Dykes I thought competed very well especially the second half, there seemed to be countless times where he would win a flick on and Kane would fail to do anything with it.  Kane is just busy without ever looking like scoring, at least with Dykes he holds the ball up and link up but Kane just doesn't look like scoring any time soon. Dobbie is trying but he is  forcing everything too much rather than playing naturally but for playing out wide, he did ok, hopefully that's just a result of circumstance rather than a long term thing.
Mercer did fine and sometimes that is enough, he got beaten once by Mulraney but he held up largely, he isn't going to do very much going forward but with Stirling there he did what he need to.  Marshall did a good job with having a load of overload and got forward a bit better than recently.

All of this.

It wasn’t the worst nil nil I’ve seen, and was a vast improvement on the Livi game. Two points dropped in the grand scheme of things though.

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The request for a postponement was utterly ridiculous.

In hindsight though, I wish it had happened.

Eye bleedingly awful stuff.

Not sure if serious? :unsure2:

I thought it was a lot like the Dunfermline game from a few weeks ago. Decent match with some decent football without anything exceptional happening. Seen a lot worse games but lacking a lot of goalmouth action. 

Thought we just about shaded it but draw wasnt unfair.

Genuinely amazed to see people saying it wasn't the worst game and that it featured chances we just couldn't take.

I know it's a game of opinions and mine looks like the outlier, but Bloody Hell.

Could someone please describe all these chances, because like the players I missed them.  

41 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuinely amazed to see people saying it wasn't the worst game and that it featured chances we just couldn't take.

I know it's a game of opinions and mine looks like the outlier, but Bloody Hell.

Could someone please describe all these chances, because like the players I missed them.  

I agree with you, dull game with very very few moments of excitement and neither team looking like scoring.

1 minute ago, football maniac said:

Feck me its bad when folk thought that was an entertaining game. The first 15 was ok the rest utter codswallop. The "quality" on show yet again was truly appaling and yet again we resorted to long ball crap. Poor result poor performance against a poor team.

That's entirely how I saw it.  It hadn't actually occurred to me that it could be viewed much differently.

I get that a goalless game needn't necessarily be poor, but by Christ, this one was.   There was very little football in evidence from either side and from quite early, it had 0-0 written all over it.  Neither goalkeeper made a save I wouldn't have fancied my own chances of making and the ball spent much of the game soaring around untamed.

The closest we got to a goal came when ICT should have been awarded a penalty late on.  It would have been a bit of a travesty though if either side had emerged from that with three points.

I thought we started well and had a couple chances (before someone asks what minute and second this was at I don't have the details)

Noticed Dykes man marked number 11 (vigurs?)all game then McFadden came on and done the same 

Prefer Stirling over Murray and I'd like to see him giving a run 

As much as Kane puts himself about he just doesn't look like scoring 

Nothing much else happened but thought we edged it and were the better team despite some people's claims

Another opportunity missed with St Mirren and Pars losing. Thought we were the more likely winner but didn't do enough. Pushing our top striker out wide makes no sense whatsoever especially when we keep struggling to score goals.

On the positive defence was very solid - don't think Caley had one chance of any distinction.

0-0s might look ok from a Manager's perspective but we certainly aren't packing the fans in. Stirling subbed at earliest opportunity didn't help.

Archived