Suspension

Area 51

Can anyone help resolve a "discussion" about suspension ? When a player is sent off in say, a West Cup tie or Scottish tie, does their suspension count for ALL football, or just the competition that they received the suspension for ? My contention is that it is for ALL football, including friendlies, (most leagues require that these games have to be granted permission and to include teams lines) my friend says otherwise

If a player gets a dated suspension, that’s for all football within the SAFA, so covers Saturday morning, Saturday, Sunday, Cup ties, friendlies etc

For a match suspension, this only covers matches for the team that the player is registered with, so the player could play with another team in a league that plays on a different day, and the player can play in friendlies.

Otherwise a team could just organise 3 friendlies to serve a suspension for an important player.

Thanks for your replies gents.

So, the terminology , "Suspended from All Football" until ABC FC play the requisite number of games, doesn't hold much water ?

Graham, surely getting say, an 8 game ban, doesn't allow you to get released from a club, to go and play with another team, either Saturday or Sunday, for 8 games, then resign with the old team ?

That doesn't make any sense to me. I understand that there is no restriction in transferring to another club during a match suspension, but surely the player is not allowed to play for that club ? that would just make a mockery of the decision to suspend the player in the first place.

Any match suspension or part therof which remains outstanding at the end of a season or any extension thereof, must be served at the commencement of the following season, regardless of which club the player joins, with the same principle being applied, should a player be transferred to another club , prior to the suspension commencing.

I thank you again for your response. I found the ruling in the above paragraph from the SAFA Handbook

I got a suspension my last game with Hurlford about 6 years ago. I went junior for 5 years came back to onthank amateurs and that 1 game suspension I received while playing with Hurlford was waiting on me when I went to onthank. Not sure if that helps any. But I don’t think going from one team to another makes any difference. I may be wrong tho

To my knowledge, dated suspension suspends you from all safa fitba on any day. 

A game suspension suspends you from all fitba on that day until the games have been served. Sent off on a sat and have 8 games - you cant play till the 8 games have been served. But you can play in an associated sunday league or the friday night 35's league. And again, my understanding is that as it's the player who's suspended, the player will be suspended till the team he is registered with plays the 8 games. 

i.e player has 8 game suspension. players team plays 4 games and player leaves the team. Player still has 4 games to serve and they wont be served  until he signs with another team and sits out 4 games. 

Thanks for your replies gents.
So, the terminology , "Suspended from All Football" until ABC FC play the requisite number of games, doesn't hold much water ?
Graham, surely getting say, an 8 game ban, doesn't allow you to get released from a club, to go and play with another team, either Saturday or Sunday, for 8 games, then resign with the old team ?
That doesn't make any sense to me. I understand that there is no restriction in transferring to another club during a match suspension, but surely the player is not allowed to play for that club ? that would just make a mockery of the decision to suspend the player in the first place.
Any match suspension or part therof which remains outstanding at the end of a season or any extension thereof, must be served at the commencement of the following season, regardless of which club the player joins, with the same principle being applied, should a player be transferred to another club , prior to the suspension commencing.
I thank you again for your response. I found the ruling in the above paragraph from the SAFA Handbook

For the discussion, assuming you play with a Saturday team and get a 3 game suspension. You cannot play for that team until they have played 3 games. If you sign for another Saturday team, your suspension travels with you, so cannot play for your new team until they have played 3 games. If you get released and don’t play for anyone (or go junior like Cadlad), your 3 game suspension stands until you sign for a Saturday team and they play 3 games.

You can sign for a Sunday team and play for them for as many games as you like (assuming you follow correct rules etc) while you serve your suspension from Saturday football. The suspension does not move from Saturday football to Sunday football or vice versa.

Dated suspensions cover all football.

Graham3179 is an association member so he has got a definitive answer 

I would still advise contacting your own league to get this confirmed, just to be on the safe side!!!!

Any Association would rather answer a question about a rule before it might be broken, rather than deal with the consequences after it has been.

Archived