Kelty Hearts & the EOS League

1 hour ago, bluedragon said:

You could be right. There is only one North East club (South Shields) playing in the next league up (Northern Premier League North Division), with no local derbies and their nearest opponents are Kendal 100 miles away.  It would be an expensive business to move up.

Irrespective how you draw the boundaries today the North East will have relatively few clubs at the top level (Steps 1-4) in the English Non-League Pyramid. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had the Northern League accepted one of the invitations to became a feeder into the new Alliance Premier League in the late 1970’s/early 1980’s today the North East clubs would be playing in the Northern League (at Step 3) with a direct route to the National League North for its champions.  I do not know all the arguments for and against the Northern League’s decision but I do know it has made it far more difficult today for ambitious North East clubs to progress.

There are some parallels with Kelty Hearts. In the North East to progress a club needs to be promoted into a league at Step 4 with a large geographical area with no local derbies. It is a big financial commitment. The administrators have a responsibility to make it easier not harder for clubs to progress, however, today they are hindered by decisions made almost 40 years ago. Junior football is in the position today that the Northern League was in all those years ago.

Spennymoor took years to make the leap whilst they got their ducks lined up. They're now going well in tier 6. I know they used to play a few junior teams. We pumped them a few years back but I suspect we'd really struggle now given the strides they've made whilst junior football - including us - has stood still (or regressed as I think there is a general view that the standard has dropped). 

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bluedragon said:

You could be right. There is only one North East club (South Shields) playing in the next league up (Northern Premier League North Division), with no local derbies and their nearest opponents are Kendal 100 miles away.  It would be an expensive business to move up.

Irrespective how you draw the boundaries today the North East will have relatively few clubs at the top level (Steps 1-4) in the English Non-League Pyramid. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had the Northern League accepted one of the invitations to became a feeder into the new Alliance Premier League in the late 1970’s/early 1980’s today the North East clubs would be playing in the Northern League (at Step 3) with a direct route to the National League North for its champions.  I do not know all the arguments for and against the Northern League’s decision but I do know it has made it far more difficult today for ambitious North East clubs to progress.

There are some parallels with Kelty Hearts. In the North East to progress a club needs to be promoted into a league at Step 4 with a large geographical area with no local derbies. It is a big financial commitment. The administrators have a responsibility to make it easier not harder for clubs to progress, however, today they are hindered by decisions made almost 40 years ago. Junior football is in the position today that the Northern League was in all those years ago.

I was a bit worried how promotion would impact on South Shields, because they were effectively moving to "worse" division. Crowds have held up well though and if they continue by going up, the business side should be a bit easier next season. I'm not sure the other NL candidates could have maintained that kind of momentum. In saying that, the NL is a great league, with a decent supply of new clubs getting in from below.

On 26/12/2017 at 12:42, HibeeJibee said:

LTHV v Kelty is January 20th. Kelty v LTHV is still undated.

LTHV v Kelty in League Cup SF is Wednesday 14th February.

http://eosfl.com/content.php?pg=matchlge&pd=1044&frt=fixtures

http://www.keltyhearts.co.uk/resultsfixtures/4593919536

The 2 league games will be crucial. However LTHV are falling behind with their league fixtures, and a late season pile up could cost them becoming the EoSL champions.

On 26/12/2017 at 14:55, HTG said:

Spennymoor took years to make the leap whilst they got their ducks lined up. They're now going well in tier 6. I know they used to play a few junior teams. We pumped them a few years back but I suspect we'd really struggle now given the strides they've made whilst junior football - including us - has stood still (or regressed as I think there is a general view that the standard has dropped). 

Penicuik fans won't need reminding Penicuik 0-7 Spennymoor pre season friendly. 

Spennymoor going great strides this season alongside Blyth up there fighting  for the play offs into the national league. (class of 92 Salford City seem to be strong favourites in that league). 

Not sure about them but Blyth were/are  contemplating full time football.  

7 hours ago, Robert James said:

The 2 league games will be crucial. However LTHV are falling behind with their league fixtures, and a late season pile up could cost them becoming the EoSL champions.

LTHV always seem to have a big end of season pile up always seem to come through it though.

Spennymoor have the likes of Tom Craddock playing for them. Players who would be top guns in any Scottish Junior side. Kelty have for example Hubby who's a standout at this level but spennymoor have 5 or 6 at that level. Good to hear positives on a move like that though! 

Spennymoor have the likes of Tom Craddock playing for them. Players who would be top guns in any Scottish Junior side. Kelty have for example Hubby who's a standout at this level but spennymoor have 5 or 6 at that level. Good to hear positives on a move like that though! 

Is that F*nnys boy?

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2017 at 12:39, non_sequitur said:

Spot on that wid be brilliant league for the Shippy to play in

Can see Shippy , Lochgelly and Glenrothes in the same league one day. Bow hill and Leven would still be fighting it out for the title though. Hahahaha

• 3 weeks later...

It will be a disaster if LTHV win the league as they have no chance of getting promoted and really makes a mockery of the whole pyramid system,  at least Kelty have put a structure in place off the park but now it looks like LTHV could have a spring in their step after tonight's result 

7 minutes ago, pie n beans said:

It will be a disaster if LTHV win the league as they have no chance of getting promoted and really makes a mockery of the whole pyramid system,  at least Kelty have put a structure in place off the park but now it looks like LTHV could have a spring in their step after tonight's result 

I have to say my preference would be LTHV to win the league, but I’m in total agreement with you. To have another season of the winners not being promoted is a bit farcical. 

8 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

I have to say my preference would be LTHV to win the league, but I’m in total agreement with you. To have another season of the winners not being promoted is a bit farcical. 

Yet another example of how badly run Scottish football is - LTHV clearly an excellent team, yet they continue to hold up progression of others if they don't have the ability/meet criteria to progress.  

Surely a league is flawed if a team(s) are not eligible to fulfil their full obligations within that structure. 

Yet another example of how badly run Scottish football is - LTHV clearly an excellent team, yet they continue to hold up progression of others if they don't have the ability/meet criteria to progress.  
Surely a league is flawed if a team(s) are not eligible to fulfil their full obligations within that structure. 
I'd dock them points for bringing the league into disrepute.

6 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

This is where the rule should be in place that the next best-placed team who meet the criteria, get to go up.  Or at the very least have a play-off.

Certainly one option - personally I feel that allowing participation in the 1st place is flawed  - if a pyramid is to work then teams participating need to be eligible/willing to progress otherwise they should be encouraged to find an alternative league to match their current status. 

I understand this is harsh on LTHV but unfortunately their current position is hampering the free movement of the Pyramid

Archived