Kelty Hearts & the EOS League

30 minutes ago, gogsy said:

To be fair to EOS league there are only two teams conceding an average of 5 goals a game. Take out Eyemouths results v Kelty and even they are only conceding four a game, scoring two on average every game as well.

The EoS league this year is exceptional because Kelty have arrived and they're clearly at a different level from Eyemouth. There is nothing that can make a difference to the number of consecutive canings a team like Strathspey will take year in and year out. I've looked at the final Highland League table over the last 5 years and the best they've achieved in terms of goal difference is -80. 

I think there is a shared desire among the Highland League clubs to protect their current members from the impacts that normally attach to a performance based league ladder. That's fine when they are only accountable to themselves.

But they're supposed to be the tier below a nationwide structure and such a consistent level of abysmal performance shouldn't be representative of the strength and depth of Scottish football. But it is and the SFA are showing every sign of being content with this shambles. 

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, HTG said:

The EoS league this year is exceptional because Kelty have arrived and they're clearly at a different level from Eyemouth. There is nothing that can make a difference to the number of consecutive canings a team like Strathspey will take year in and year out. I've looked at the final Highland League table over the last 5 years and the best they've achieved in terms of goal difference is -80. 

I think there is a shared desire among the Highland League clubs to protect their current members from the impacts that normally attach to a performance based league ladder. That's fine when they are only accountable to themselves.

But they're supposed to be the tier below a nationwide structure and such a consistent level of abysmal performance shouldn't be representative of the strength and depth of Scottish football. But it is and the SFA are showing every sign of being content with this shambles. 

Agree with content in your posts - especially the references to the Highland League. 

The situation was similar in league football  before the introduction of the Lowland League with promotion / relegation.  Shameful that Gala Fairydean were denied entry to the league (a good few years back) and also Spartans who have been ready (and willing) to go for years having dominated the old EoS year after year, but haven't won the LL since the promotion spot was introduced.  In future we should start to see poorly performing league clubs drop into the Lowland League which is only right.

However, In the context of this conversation (Kelty / EoS) I think the issues with HL structure is an unnecessary distraction because those problems can't be solved by East Region clubs, nor can the apparent issues with entry to the pyramid in the West.  There is a relatively barrier-free and ready-made pathway for central belt clubs to progress,  and the conversation should focus on the opportunities closer to home rather than worrying too much about the obvious discrepancies further afield that should be fixed by others.  

There isn't a problem in the west as there are currently no senior west teams so no need for a west league. (apart from Bonnyton)

You cant create a league with no teams to play in it. If there was a need for one, Im sure there would be one, or someone would create one.

Really the ball is in the Junior Clubs court, if they want to be part of the pyramid, they need to come on mass and provide a reason to create a league, or if enough individual clubs apply for the SoS then there may be an option to have 2 separate conferences ie North & South sections.

However, how stupid would the SFA look if they created a west league, but had no clubs to fill it. The fixture list would look similar to the juniors though with no games in it!

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

The changes in the structure of the West leagues mean its in prime position to move wholesale to the Seniors, just needs the clubs to lead on it.

What are the specific changes that are making the move to Seniors easier? I actually dont know.

40 minutes ago, edinabear said:

What are the specific changes that are making the move to Seniors easier? I actually dont know.

A 4 x 16 teams tiered structure.  In the east, the structure is over 3 tiers with the third tier broken down into north and south. Add in the lowland league, eos league and sos league - you have 11 divisions of teams in the lowlands. 

In Lowland country, there are 168 teams across existing senior and junior landscape. 

In Highland country there are 61. 

If there is to be a pyramid,  it needs at least 3 geographical entities. If that third entity were created in the west you'd fill the league no bother in my view.  The winners of the west wouldn't be able to fight out promotion with the others until the clubs were licenced but they could still play in a pyramid structure with a timeline agreed within which they had to be licenced.  

It's not rocket surgery ...

A 4 x 16 teams tiered structure.  In the east, the structure is over 3 tiers with the third tier broken down into north and south. Add in the lowland league, eos league and sos league - you have 11 divisions of teams in the lowlands.  In Lowland country, there are 168 teams across existing senior and junior landscape.  In Highland country there are 61. 

If there is to be a pyramid,  it needs at least 3 geographical entities. If that third entity were created in the west you'd fill the league no bother in my view.  The winners of the west wouldn't be able to fight out promotion with the others until the clubs were licenced but they could still play in a pyramid structure with a timeline agreed within which they had to be licenced.  

It's not rocket surgery ...

North juniors 36 teams

Hl 18 teams

East region North of tay juniors 17 teams

All the senior teams 11 I think

Caledonian league etc

So not sure where you get 61 from

32 minutes ago, superbigal said:

North juniors 36 teams

Hl 18 teams

East region North of tay juniors 17 teams

All the senior teams 11 I think

Caledonian league etc

So not sure where you get 61 from

Apologies - the 61 was North Juniors, North Caley and HFL. 

Idleness on my part not to identify the 17 from the East Juniors. 

That gives 78 in the Highland and 151 in the Lowland areas. Splitting the Lowland gives 3 numerically balanced tiers below the national structure. 

The west could see BSC, Cumbernauld and EK move across straight away

37 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Regan out! HTG in!

Baby steps 8Mile...

Whilst Linlithgow and Bo'ness are getting in the mood it would be great to see a contribution on here from Nitten and Bonnyrigg supporters - any murmurs or further thoughts on future or imminent progress?? 

Full steam EoS journey to Kelty ahead - Birds of a Feather flock together and all that...

Baby steps 8Mile...
Whilst Linlithgow and Bo'ness are getting in the mood it would be great to see a contribution on here from Nitten and Bonnyrigg supporters - any murmurs or further thoughts on future or imminent progress?? 
Full steam EoS journey to Kelty ahead - Birds of a Feather flock together and all that...

If linlithgow and boness join kelty would teams like bonnyrigg and newtongrange be happy to remain in the juniors and just plod along ? Looking at the kelty ground plans I can only say that they look amazing and I'm warming to how they're going about their business

8 minutes ago, theshed said:

If linlithgow and boness join kelty would teams like bonnyrigg and newtongrange be happy to remain in the juniors and just plod along ? Looking at the kelty ground plans I can only say that they look amazing and I'm warming to how they're going about their business

Same could be said for the likes of Dundonald and Penicuik who have improved and got stronger year after year in a steady and consistent manner - what next for them if the others move?

Same could be said for the likes of Dundonald and Penicuik who have improved and got stronger year after year in a steady and consistent manner - what next for them if the others move?

If all them teams go then it's the Demise of the east juniors as we know it , in turn it kind of devalues the future of the Scottish cup which could turn into a glorified west of Scotland cup ; big changes ahead for the juniors here

On the restructuring thread there is mention of Clydebank possibly applying for the EOS league at some point in the future. Are there geographical barriers preventing clubs from doing such a thing or can clubs simply apply for where they want to go at this level?

9 hours ago, energyzone said:

On the restructuring thread there is mention of Clydebank possibly applying for the EOS league at some point in the future. Are there geographical barriers preventing clubs from doing such a thing or can clubs simply apply for where they want to go at this level?

Gretna 2008 joined the East of Scotland rather than South of Scotland League, though the latter might have rejected them? East Kilbride belong to the EoS FA and enter their cups. The other Glasgow area sides in LL don't though. 

Bottom line is that tiers 5 and 6 are inconsistent and incomplete in many ways.

7 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Gretna 2008 joined the East of Scotland rather than South of Scotland League, though the latter might have rejected them?

Vaguely remember that they got knocked back by the SoS so had to go to the EoS instead, but in the not so distant past the EoS league had teams as far west as Dalbeattie Star and Threave Rovers in D&G terms, so there doesn't seem to have been a fixed boundary.

44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Vaguely remember that they got knocked back by the SoS so had to go to the EoS instead, but in the not so distant past the EoS league had teams as far west as Dalbeattie Star and Threave Rovers in D&G terms, so there doesn't seem to have been a fixed boundary.

I think in those days it was all about a higher standard of play as well - Annan were only in the South (and south alone) for a short period of time (70s-80s?) and the EoS were happy to have the three exiles.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:10, gogsy said:

Toooo lonnnndgggggggggggggg didn't readddddddddddddddddddddddddddd. (Still gave it a red dot though)

And did you notice the two levels that were up in from the top goals round to the enclosure on the school side  because they haven't magically appeared in the last five years, they've always been there ya muppet.

Given the hugely impressive developments at Kelty in recent years,  it is clear that  there are some upwardly mobile, forward thinking, shrewd individuals operating at the club. On perusing this post, I take it you're not one of them gogsy?

Archived