P45

The old P45, what is the your least salubrious of exits from a previous employer?

The only time I have ever been sacked on the spot was many years ago when I was contracting in Wales in the electronics industry. I lived in a hotel and the place was always jumping. My room was directly above the bar and late night karaoke/lock ins were a regular occurrence. After a month or so of going into work in the morning absolutely shattered due to lack of sleep my 18 yr old self took the decision that if I'm fucked because I can't sleep I might as well be hung over as well so I started going on the piss during the week with the staff and regulars from the bar.

This inevitably led to a succession of missed shifts/late starts and my supervisor had to sit me down and tell me to sort out my attendance. In an effort to repair my reputation (my supervisor was a cracking woman to be fair and she gave me more chances than I deserved as she had taken a bit of a shine to me) I started volunteering for all the over time going.

I signed up to do a Sunday shift one weekend and got hammered on the Saturday night. I called in sick and said I'd be okay for Monday after a day of bed rest. I went down stairs for a curer and ended up pulling pints behind the bar (the hotel owner used to let me run up a tab then pay it off buy working a shift).

So I'm behind the bar pulling pints and helping set up the carvery when who should walk in with her husband and kids? You guessed it, my supervisor. I served her at the bar and asked our outright "Is there any point me showing up tomorrow?" to which she replied "Depends wether or not you want to clear out your locker?".

So that was me sacked and deservedly so. Have any P&Bers suffered a similar fate?

I was P45'd from a shelf stacking job at the age of 16, I had a 6-9pm shift on a Friday evening but had promised to Dj (very loose term), at a pals sisters birthday party.
Got my mate (15) to phone in pretending to be my dad to say I was ill.
Unfortunately my mate fucked the whole conversation up, added to the fact that he also worked in the same supermarket & the assistant manager recognised his voice, resulted in the P45 when I turned up for my shift on the Monday.
Anyway, I had the last laugh as I didn't return the horrendous grey & stained, lab coat type attire they used to make us wear. So f**k Mr Graham & William Low.

My brother was working in a bar at the time and I was working shifts so ended up spending a fair bit of time there. Got offered some part time work so thought why not. First shift I was down in the cellar tidying up which involved hosing down the dusty floor, not sure how I managed it but I must have got some of the soggy stuff into the fuse box and put the pub into darkness. No more shifts were forthcoming.

I've never been sacked from a job, but I did have to resign this year so I could take up a different job at the same employer. A few days after my new job started, I received a P45...and had to send parts 2 and 3 straight back to the same office.

Perhaps it was necessary for HMRC, but I can't imagine why.

4 hours ago, The Equalizer said:

(my supervisor was a cracking woman to be fair and she gave me more chances than I deserved as she had taken a bit of a shine to me)

Aye, but...wid/did?

Anyway, the only time I've been handed my jotters was when I asked for time off to interview for another job. The reason given was that "you could leave at any time and we wouldn't have anyone to fulfill your responsibilities". As a result, they spent some time without someone to fulfill my responsibilities  :1eye

I'd been hoping that would happen, but I didn't honestly believe they'd be quite that dense.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, but...wid/did?

Anyway, the only time I've been handed my jotters was when I asked for time off to interview for another job. The reason given was that "you could leave at any time and we wouldn't have anyone to fulfill your responsibilities". As a result, they spent some time without someone to fulfill my responsibilities  :1eye

I'd been hoping that would happen, but I didn't honestly believe they'd be quite that dense.

How do people like that make it into management positions?

To answer the question, neither. She was older, more Krueger than cougar.

2 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

To answer the question, neither. She was older, more Krueger than cougar.

I'm actually annoyed that I'm not female enough to make that my member title  :lol:

8 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

How do people like that make it into management positions?

if my work is anything to go by they tend to have the same surname as senior managers. Must be an amazing coincidence really. 

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

if my work is anything to go by they tend to have the same surname as senior managers. Must be an amazing coincidence really. 

Nepotism... when the bottom line that matters is not that of the company you work for.

Encountered it once or twice and it's a tricky one. I've seen people in positions who would never get the credit they deserve because of who they shared their surname with and I've seen f**k nuggets stealing a very high wage who are protected beyond belief.

19 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

Nepotism... when the bottom line that matters is not that of the company you work for.

Encountered it once or twice and it's a tricky one. I've seen people in positions who would never get the credit they deserve because of who they shared their surname with and I've seen f**k nuggets stealing a very high wage who are protected beyond belief.

I knew a guy who was genuinely disgusted that his daughter couldn't get a job working on the railways because he worked on the railways and back in the day, that was all that was required. 

On 11/26/2017 at 14:43, Brother Blades said:

I was P45'd from a shelf stacking job at the age of 16, I had a 6-9pm shift on a Friday evening but had promised to Dj (very loose term), at a pals sisters birthday party.
Got my mate (15) to phone in pretending to be my dad to say I was ill.
Unfortunately my mate fucked the whole conversation up, added to the fact that he also worked in the same supermarket & the assistant manager recognised his voice, resulted in the P45 when I turned up for my shift on the Monday.
Anyway, I had the last laugh as I didn't return the horrendous grey & stained, lab coat type attire they used to make us wear. So f**k Mr Graham & William Low.

That wasn't the Willie Low's on Albert Street, was it?  1978-ish?

I was sacked by the Royal Mail when they were downsizing.
My pal got me a job delivering mail to get some extra cash between leaving school and starting university.

About 4 months into the job I was accused of not delivering a letter, which was considered gross misconduct and I was put on paid leave.
I didn't have a fixed route and there was no date on the letter so they had no proof at all. It was my word against their's. That and with me being part of the Union I expected them to reinstate me at the upcoming HR meeting.
Before the meeting I was told that my CWU shop steward would meet me beforehand for a briefing. He was a no show.
17 years old, into the meeting I went to face 3 HR reps. About 10 minutes later the Labour red faced, obese mess of a union guy waddled in. Out of breathe from walking up a few stairs he fell into a seat and with his fat spilling over the sides of the chair he sat there silently as I was fired over a bullshit story.

I got sacked and he didn't even open his fat mouth to object in case he lost his nice office and car.
My mate later got sacked for having 3 sicknesses in 1 year. His last "sickness" was breaking his leg. He had a different utterly pointless obese mess of a Union guy represent him but the same outcome.

Moral of the story-
Shop stewards are corrupt b*****ds to a man. They are worse that shite on my shoe.
The best thing Maggie Thatcher did was destroy them.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I was sacked by the Royal Mail when they were downsizing.
My pal got me a job delivering mail to get some extra cash between leaving school and starting university.

About 4 months into the job I was accused of not delivering a letter, which was considered gross misconduct and I was put on paid leave.
I didn't have a fixed route and there was no date on the letter so they had no proof at all. It was my word against their's. That and with me being part of the Union I expected them to reinstate me at the upcoming HR meeting.
Before the meeting I was told that my CWU shop steward would meet me beforehand for a briefing. He was a no show.
17 years old, into the meeting I went to face 3 HR reps. About 10 minutes later the Labour red faced, obese mess of a union guy waddled in. Out of breathe from walking up a few stairs he fell into a seat and with his fat spilling over the sides of the chair he sat there silently as I was fired over a bullshit story.

I got sacked and he didn't even open his fat mouth to object in case he lost his nice office and car.
My mate later got sacked for having 3 sicknesses in 1 year. His last "sickness" was breaking his leg. He had a different utterly pointless obese mess of a Union guy represent him but the same outcome.

Moral of the story-
Shop stewards are corrupt b*****ds to a man. They are worse that shite on my shoe.
The best thing Maggie Thatcher did was destroy them.

You never mentioned whether you had failed to deliver the letter?

Never been sacked but the boy I go to Palmerston with informed his workmate got canned a few weeks back. The story had me in bits purely down to the stupidity and the flat tone in which my mate told me the story. It probably won't transfer written down but the conversation went like this:-

Him: **** got sacked the other day.

Me: You're kidding?! What for?

Him: He got caught knicking work boots.

Me: How did they kn....

Him: They wereny his size.

Archived