Dundee United vs Dunfermline Athletic

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, I'm not sure that the formation is the thing at fault, given that it worked fine for us previously. Teams aren't just suddenly 'getting wise' to it or 'finding us out' in terms of us playing 4-4-2, since the manager has played in nearly every single game since he became the manager.

The fault must lie more with the players themselves. They seem to be performing poorly, so who's to say a change in formation would make a difference if they are still turning in poor performances. 4-4-2 was absolutely fine earlier in the season when we were beating teams and scoring plenty of goals. 

That's not to say that a change in formation wouldn't work, just that it's not the glaring solution some see it as.

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Again, I'm not sure that the formation is the thing at fault, given that it worked fine for us previously. Teams aren't just suddenly 'getting wise' to it or 'finding us out' in terms of us playing 4-4-2, since the manager has played in nearly every single game since he became the manager.

The fault must lie more with the players themselves. They seem to be performing poorly, so who's to say a change in formation would make a difference if they are still turning in poor performances. 4-4-2 was absolutely fine earlier in the season when we were beating teams and scoring plenty of goals. 

That's not to say that a change in formation wouldn't work, just that it's not the glaring solution some see it as.

I don't buy that at all. What more can the players psychically do if they're playing a formation that leaves us outnumbered in the midfield? We are also playing a guy who played his entire career just off the striker in the middle of the park so combine the lack of legs against an extra body it's not gonna end well. Add to the fact that the incompetence in the summer transfer window has left us well short of any replacements now that players are off form and I think it's clear the blame for this awful run is down to the management.

The club feels like it's gone stale with AJ at the helm and he has done nothing in terms of tactics or personnel change to alleviate that at all. Boring. 

1 minute ago, All-Star-Par said:

I don't buy that at all. What more can the players psychically do if they're playing a formation that leaves us outnumbered in the midfield? We are also playing a guy who played his entire career just off the striker in the middle of the park so combine the lack of legs against an extra body it's not gonna end well. Add to the fact that the incompetence in the summer transfer window has left us well short of any replacements now that players are off form and I think it's clear the blame for this awful run is down to the management.

The club feels like it's gone stale with AJ at the helm and he has done nothing in terms of tactics or personnel change to alleviate that at all. Boring. 

Explain results like 5-1 against Inverness, 0-4 against Dumbarton, 3-0 against St Mirren, 3-1 against Falkirk, 3-1 against Livingston then.

30 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

Thankfully not as boring as your constant rants since we started this poor run.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Explain results like 5-1 against Inverness, 0-4 against Dumbarton, 3-0 against St Mirren, 3-1 against Falkirk, 3-1 against Livingston then.

Thinking back to most of those games there were large periods in them were we didn't play well but got the job done. St Mirren was our most accomplished performance by far but now we are seeing the results of awful recruitment as even if we don't change formation we have no one else to bring in to freshen things up, that is solely down to the management. 

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Thankfully not as boring as your constant rants since we started this poor run.

'Constant' :rolleyes: 

Are you happy with the team at present then? I personally feel questioning the current state of us is justified as this current 'run' now equates to us not having won a game in half of all the matches we have played this season and the management haven't tried a thing to change it. 

When does a bad patch become long enough for us to question the 442 god himself? 

9 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

'Constant' :rolleyes: 

Are you happy with the team at present then? I personally feel questioning the current state of us is justified as this current 'run' now equates to us not having won a game in half of all the matches we have played this season and the management haven't tried a thing to change it. 

When does a bad patch become long enough for us to question the 442 god himself? 

Never said I was happy with how things are going. I was criticising the fact that you only started posting when things started going pear-shaped and didn't post a thing when we were doing well.

I imagine you'd disappear again if we started winning a few games so we have another good reason to hope we have a turn in form.

32 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Never said I was happy with how things are going. I was criticising the fact that you only started posting when things started going pear-shaped and didn't post a thing when we were doing well.

I imagine you'd disappear again if we started winning a few games so we have another good reason to hope we have a turn in form.

What a cringeworthy dafc.net type comment :lol:

You're the new target m8. Unlucks. The 4-4-2 thing is hard to implement when shiels isn't really a midfielder and nat is too slow to move forward. If you could do a motd type analysis i would bet you could draw a circle around the two of them within twenty yards. We need quick interchangeable play with McManus higgy and others not slow plodding rubbish in midfield or long aimless punts. That's what we had earlier in the season but our tempo has dropped considerably.

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Might be the first post you've made that didn't include "4-4-2" 

Something Allan Johnstone is incapable of.

The United game at East End was when our wheels started to come off a bit as Willo Flood strolled around at rightback with a Cuban sparked so would be fantastic to turn it around here. Can't beat an away day in Dundee but I'm certainly not expecting much. 

Must admit that Morris’ goal on Saturday gave me a semi. We usually score these fancy, slick goals. Brilliant to see some giant carthorse swat away defenders before sclaffing the ball into the net. Him and M’Voto up front plz.

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

You're the new target m8. Unlucks. The 4-4-2 thing is hard to implement when shiels isn't really a midfielder and nat is too slow to move forward. If you could do a motd type analysis i would bet you could draw a circle around the two of them within twenty yards. We need quick interchangeable play with McManus higgy and others not slow plodding rubbish in midfield or long aimless punts. That's what we had earlier in the season but our tempo has dropped considerably.

There is never a specific target. If you post inane, boring, pointless bollocks, people will think you're a p***k.

Your posts have become considerably less painful since you stopped making such posts and, unsurprisingly, have therefore received a lot less criticism. 

Archived