Dundee United vs Dunfermline Athletic

McManus absolutely has to start this. Preferably with Clark. 

Murdoch

Williamson - Morris - Ashcroft - Talbot 

Nat

Higgy                                                   Cardle

Shiels

Clark - McManus

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annoying that Clark's lucky goal will extend his run in the side. He's become lazy and fragile since his injury. Needs a big time performance and it would be huge if he could get it done in this game. Sadly, AJ doesn't appear to know how to get the best out of him, whether that be the instructions given to him or just generally trying to get him up for the game.

We've not won a tough away game (eg at Hibs, United, Falkirk) so maybe about time AJ went for plan B (that's unfair, maybe a plan C). Instead of repeatedly doing the same thing and being "unlucky", do something different. We've only won something like once in the last seven league games. Do something to give the players a bit of confidence. I'd be tempted to make Saturday a total shitfest and be patient. Go something like a 4-5-1, frustrate United and hope for a scrapy Clark goal or a Cardle breakaway. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

We've not won a tough away game (eg at Hibs, United, Falkirk) so maybe about time AJ went for plan B (that's unfair, maybe a plan C). Instead of repeatedly doing the same thing and being "unlucky", do something different. We've only won something like once in the last seven league games. Do something to give the players a bit of confidence. I'd be tempted to make Saturday a total shitfest and be patient. Go something like a 4-5-1, frustrate United and hope for a scrapy Clark goal or a Cardle breakaway. 

I've been a fan of 4-2-3-1 which has been a popular shape for teams recently, most notable Brendan Rodgers' Celtic teams. 

Murdoch

Nat - Shiels

Aird/Higgy           Higgy/Aird         Cardle

McManus/Clark

The only issue there is playing one striker out of the four first team strikers we have available, so we'll label this one 'extremely unlikely.'

If AJ is going to change the shape at all, it'll likely be a diamond in the middle with the usual lineup or 5-3-2, which would be fucking awful as that would mean starting either M'Voto or Martin. 

1 hour ago, smpar said:

I've been a fan of 4-2-3-1 which has been a popular shape for teams recently, most notable Brendan Rodgers' Celtic teams. 

Murdoch

Nat - Shiels

Aird/Higgy           Higgy/Aird         Cardle

McManus/Clark

The only issue there is playing one striker out of the four first team strikers we have available, so we'll label this one 'extremely unlikely.'

If AJ is going to change the shape at all, it'll likely be a diamond in the middle with the usual lineup or 5-3-2, which would be fucking awful as that would mean starting either M'Voto or Martin. 

I think that 4-2-3-1 (or some variant of 451) would work fine with the players available and not cause too much confusion. Sacrificing a striker for an extra guy in midfield (eg Martin) would still give us plenty of firepower if we could draw United on to us. Eg...

Murdoch

Higgy -  Shiels - Nat - Martin - Cardle

McManus or Clark 

The two goals against Dumbarton were hellish in terms of the space given to the players to take a strike. I'd love to see AJ shitfest a 1-0 rather than going toe-to-toe with a team that's set up to walk over us in the middle of the park. Nicky Clark talks about getting back to what we were doing well at the start of the season. That was devastating counterattacks and if we can spring Cardle or McManus forward we might only need one or two chances to win the game. 

31 minutes ago, smpar said:

I'd sooner stick Aaron Splaine, who broke his leg 6 days ago, than Lewis Martin in central midfield. 

That's why it will be a 4-4-2 like it always is. We've been on a shite run but still in a perfectly respectable position - bodes well if we can recapture a bit of form. 

Shiels needs to stop standing near nat all the time. We have two deep midfielders and two wide players leaving a massive gap that opponents like livvy completely dominated us in the away game. It's so easy to stop us playing just overrun the midfield by using an extra man.

Saturday is ideal for a defensive team playing on the break like we did against hearts. I think the game will swing on the first goal and United will get it then go onto win easily.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Shiels needs to stop standing near nat all the time. We have two deep midfielders and two wide players leaving a massive gap that opponents like livvy completely dominated us in the away game. It's so easy to stop us playing just overrun the midfield by using an extra man.

Saturday is ideal for a defensive team playing on the break like we did against hearts. I think the game will swing on the first goal and United will get it then go onto win easily.

Much better put than I was struggling for. I think we are well suited to setting up defensively without being toothless in attack. 

Archived