Dundee United vs Dunfermline Athletic

Oh, forgot to mention this earlier but the big lad in the middle of the park for the Pars (Nat?) is one of the worst player ive seen at Tannadice for a good while. A complete dumpling who has the mobility of a JCB with a puncture

ETA - i thought the movement of Dunfermlines forward players was very good and caused us a lot of problems so if they are looking for some crumbs of comfort from today, its that

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I make a much better pasta and cheese sauce than my mum does. She does make a very tasty one mind, but since I was 16 (2000) I've made better.

She still makes better lasagne though

Frightening to see AJ thinking that was some great performance. No idea how anyone could think we were the better team in that first half. Was far better and more spirited in the second but overall, not even close to acceptable.
Praise for Aird and McManus though. The former made a great run to win the penalty and Dece ran his arse off all day in a pretty thankless task. The less said about Cardle, Martin, Nat etc, the better.
Really have to beat Queens next week to get past this awful run. Didn't see many promising signs though. Only naming five subs is also pretty shite.

McManus was very good, and thought Lewis Martin did well in midfield. Whatever Nat Wedderburn is, he is not a footballer. Anything he did well yesterday seemed to be purely by accident.

Martin done well in midfield with Paton.  Cardle showing us all why he couldn't get a game last year. Talbot was shocking in the first half and gifted them a goal with a stupid foul. Better second half from us just lacking that final ball.

Side note - United look a very poor team for the squad they've assembled and a very quiet boring support. If they don't finish first they will not get promoted. 

54 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

Martin done well in midfield with Paton.  Cardle showing us all why he couldn't get a game last year. Talbot was shocking in the first half and gifted them a goal with a stupid foul. Better second half from us just lacking that final ball.

Side note - United look a very poor team for the squad they've assembled and a very quiet boring support. If they don't finish first they will not get promoted. 

It is a squad with players who are probably just about good enough to win the league (if we are lucky) but other than maybe two or three there is really nobody who would remain in a Premiership squad if we were to get promoted. As for the support, I mentioned this after the game on here, the fans yesterday seemed very quiet and muted for what was a big game and one that we managed to win in difficult circumstances. I was surprised at the 'celebrations' when the final whistle went with the majority of people shuffling out the ground without much said. 

If having opposable thumbs is boring to you Fifers, guilty as charged.

44 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

It is a squad with players who are probably just about good enough to win the league (if we are lucky) but other than maybe two or three there is really nobody who would remain in a Premiership squad if we were to get promoted. As for the support, I mentioned this after the game on here, the fans yesterday seemed very quiet and muted for what was a big game and one that we managed to win in difficult circumstances. I was surprised at the 'celebrations' when the final whistle went with the majority of people shuffling out the ground without much said. 

Be interesting to see what kind of additions are made in January. I don't mean this in a disparaging way but I'm not sure if the current United team have the bottle to see a title challenge through. They just don't seem to have someone who takes the game by the scruff of the neck when the games going against you. Would much rather United were promoted than St Mediadarlings.

16 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

If having opposable thumbs is boring to you Fifers, guilty as charged.

Good patter that. Could count on our opposable thumbs the amount of songs that came from the home end yesterday sadly.

53 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I can understand why folk were muted, we looked like we were going to throw it away in the second half just like we did last week.

I don’t think there are lots of fans who expect us to romp this league, there are a few roasters but they’re in the minority.  However I think folk want a standard of commitment and determination that we’ve not yet quite achieved.

I can understand why folk were muted, we looked like we were going to throw it away in the second half just like we did last week.
I don’t think there are lots of fans who expect us to romp this league, there are a few roasters but they’re in the minority.  However I think folk want a standard of commitment and determination that we’ve not yet quite achieved.

We're still a little bit flaky when we lose a goal. I think it was a genuine surprise to most of the crowd that the game didn't finish 2-2. I fully expected an equaliser at some stage.

10 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

Be interesting to see what kind of additions are made in January. I don't mean this in a disparaging way but I'm not sure if the current United team have the bottle to see a title challenge through. They just don't seem to have someone who takes the game by the scruff of the neck when the games going against you. Would much rather United were promoted than St Mediadarlings.

I think Laszlo was initially told he would have very little to spend in January but it looks like we are scouting players so we might see one or two. The impression I get is that Laszlo would prefer older professionals who do have a but more 'bottle' but I'm not sure who would be available in January who fits that bill. Our current run of games (including the game yesterday) will give a real indication to what this squad can do. We have Morton, Queens, Livi and St.Mirren all before the January window opens.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

4 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We're still a little bit flaky when we lose a goal. I think it was a genuine surprise to most of the crowd that the game didn't finish 2-2. I fully expected an equaliser at some stage.

Maybe it was a case of muted relief but I was genuinely thrilled to see us win given the fact we had found ourselves in circumstances that would be described as "peak Dundee United" after conceding to make it 2-1. I would say that the commitment from some of players has increased in recent weeks. We had a few players yesterday willing to put in challenges that maybe they weren't under McKinnon. Fyvie and Flood seem to have found an extra edge and credit to Billy King who, despite still being soft as shit, looks much more interested. 

Agree with all of this. With the chance to go top beckoning, United had 15 minutes to do what they have done an awful  lot recently and f**k it all up, ruining everyone's weekend in the process.

Like everyone else I fully expected Dunfermline to nick an equaliser at the death, and the relief when they didn't was plain to see all around. 

Lots of smiles from happy Arabs on the way out, but I think the importance of winning and getting back up this year is going to kill any enjoyment of games that we are not cruising, affecting the atmosphere accordingly.

It was a good game on Saturday. I really enjoyed it in terms of a spectacle. 

I felt both teams began brightly. Higginbotham really should've had us ahead but he dragged his shot wide. 

It was a poor goal to concede as Fraser has shown in the past how good his left-foot is. I don't think Murdoch was ever getting to it: it looked in all the way, as soon as it left his boot. 

Both teams had half-chances after that but neither GK overly tested. Then we lost another sloppy goal right on half-time. 

I was saying on ParsTV's commentary just as the thrown-in was taken that we needed to see the match out at 1-0 til the break then regroup. That goal really did kill us off. 

United started the second half stronger and had a couple of really good chances. 

I felt Aird made a difference with his pace and direct running; this also seemed to spring Williamson into action and he made a few decent crosses in the second half. 

For me, it was probably a penalty but was certainly not a clear cut call. Some refs would play on, on this occasion, Euan Anderson saw it as a foul. 

Great composure by McManus, despite Paul Quinn's best efforts to try put him off. 

We battled hard the last 15 minutes but it just wasn't to be. 

A decent away performance and on another day, we would be going home with a point IMO. Paton was excellent at CM and Martin slotted in well too considering he is a defender who got thrown into that position an hour before KO. 

Fraser was the best player on the park overall though and was unlucky to not score a hat-trick. 

Looks like Willo Flood dislocated his shoulder and going by Laszlo's comments post-match he was away to hospital for an x-ray to see if there's any further damage. 

My Match Report:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/12/03/fraser-double-helps-united-squeeze-past-dunfermline/

Csaba Laszlo's Post-Pars Presser:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/12/04/laszlo-looking-for-better-cutting-edge-despite-win/

Just watched those highlights back..... a couple of glaring misses (McDonald and Stanton), would have eased all our nerves a bit if they had gone in. (Can't for the life of me understand why Stanton didn't go for goal with his chance???)

Great run from Fraser, and really unlucky not to get his HT. Will be great if he can keep this form up. 

Superb  run by Aird to get himself in to the position to with the pen.

Archived