• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Martin,

Fordyce Kerr Brownlie Marshall 

Stirling Mcfadden Rankin Murray

Dobbie Kane

More than normal I'm taking all these forecasts of doom from the QoS fans with a somewhat large pinch of salt. The above looks a very useful side indeed - just look at the forward line! - and their recent league form isn't all that bad.

It is the Sons who will need to be at their best to take something from this match.

3 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

More than normal I'm taking all these forecasts of doom from the QoS fans with a somewhat large pinch of salt. The above looks a very useful side indeed - just look at the forward line! - and their recent league form isn't all that bad.

It is the Sons who will need to be at their best to take something from this match.

Some of our fans aren't happy unless they are prophesying doom.  It's hugely annoying but it isn't likely to change any time soon.

We were very poor on Saturday against Livingston, but a lot of that was to do with how well Livi played.  They were direct and physical and we couldn't cope with them at all.  Similarly we struggled to break down a compact and organised Montrose side in our previous game.  In that instance we managed to scrape through although you wouldn't know it by the reaction on here.

As you would expect for a team at this level, operating on the budget we have, our squad has it's limitations.  Our midfield in particular has been a weakness all season.  We are solid at the back, and have plenty of attacking options.  One area that needs improving is finding the best combination of these players, and finding the best balance in midfield to provide them with chances.

All in all we are chugging along quite nicely, and as far as I am concerned are performing around about as I expected.  If anything we are performing better than I expected in the league as I didn't expect us to be as close to the playoffs as we are.

44 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Dobbie has only scored against Falkirk and Morton. Kane hasn’t scored against anybody.

Our league form this quarter appears again to be skewed by the fact that we played the lower ranked teams early on. We have played Brechin and Falkirk already this quarter, with the other games being Morton and Livi. Our record against the teams below us is pretty good, so far, with only one defeat (Morton first time round) in 8 games. It is our results against the top 4 that, unless they improve, will see us finishing lower than 4th. No wins and and only 2 points from 5 games.  

If you are an optimist, the worst you will expect is staying around 5th/6th by maintaining that form. A super optimist will expect results against the top 4 teams to improve, leading us to finish 4th or higher. If you are more pessimistic, you will be expecting results against the teams lower down to start getting worse, while the ones against those higher up stay the same.

I'd imagine we'll see Froxy come in on the wing, and Walsh start through the middle again, but I reckon he's more effective in the #10 role. Personally I'd go for something like this:

Scott Gallacher

Sam Wardrop Andy Dowie Craig Barr Chris McLaughlin

Kyle Hutton Stuart Carswell

Calum Gallagher Dimitris Froxylias Tom Walsh

Mark Stewart

The SeaGal may not be the greatest player in the world, but he did enough to merit another start imo. Roy would be the more exciting option, but he's clearly not won Stevie over - and I do, kind of, understand that. He seems a decent one-on-one finisher, but his crossing isn't great, and he is defensively poor. Gallagher also played the Robert Thomson role quite effectively on Saturday for Walsh's goal - winning a header against a full-back from a long punt, and finding a teammate with it. This is really the first run of games he's had with us (and really the first run of games he's had since St Mirren's first season down here) so I'm prepared to give him time to continue to improve. 

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Dobbie has only scored against Falkirk and Morton. Kane hasn’t scored against anybody.

Our league form this quarter appears again to be skewed by the fact that we played the lower ranked teams early on. We have played Brechin and Falkirk already this quarter, with the other games being Morton and Livi. Our record against the teams below us is pretty good, so far, with only one defeat (Morton first time round) in 8 games. It is our results against the top 4 that, unless they improve, will see us finishing lower than 4th. No wins and and only 2 points from 5 games.  

If you are an optimist, the worst you will expect is staying around 5th/6th by maintaining that form. A super optimist will expect results against the top 4 teams to improve, leading us to finish 4th or higher. If you are more pessimistic, you will be expecting results against the teams lower down to start getting worse, while the ones against those higher up stay the same.

For me, the current QoS lineup looks more and less consistent in terms of quality with the various Queens' sides that have visited the Rock over the past 5/6 years. Playing against QoS has been a largely torturous experience in that time.

It's surely only a matter of time before that forward line 'clicks'. Otherwise either, or both, would be welcome to return home to the Rock.  

7 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'd imagine we'll see Froxy come in on the wing, and Walsh start through the middle again, but I reckon he's more effective in the #10 role. Personally I'd go for something like this:

Scott Gallacher

Sam Wardrop Andy Dowie Craig Barr Chris McLaughlin

Kyle Hutton Stuart Carswell

Calum Gallagher Dimitris Froxylias Tom Walsh

Mark Stewart

The SeaGal may not be the greatest player in the world, but he did enough to merit another start imo. Roy would be the more exciting option, but he's clearly not won Stevie over - and I do, kind of, understand that. He seems a decent one-on-one finisher, but his crossing isn't great, and he is defensively poor. Gallagher also played the Robert Thomson role quite effectively on Saturday for Walsh's goal - winning a header against a full-back from a long punt, and finding a teammate with it. This is really the first run of games he's had with us (and really the first run of games he's had since St Mirren's first season down here) so I'm prepared to give him time to continue to improve. 

I'd start those 11 players but I'd arrange the 3 behind Stewart slightly differently - Froxylias - Walsh - Gallagher. Walsh rarely has a poor game, what he does have is too little involvement in games but since moving into the centre he's been much more involved and dictating things, I'm inclined to keep him there for now.  SeaGal offers more defensively than Roy, so I think for games against better opposition he'll stick with that. The only other possibility I see is to start Nade up front and move Mark Stewart out wide. As much as Stewart works his arse off out wide and covers the defensive side excellently, I don't think he's the most useful player out there. Would be nice to see Handling on the bench and maybe get a run out here too.

How fucking nice is it to have options again?

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'd start those 11 players but I'd arrange the 3 behind Stewart slightly differently - Froxylias - Walsh - Gallagher. Walsh rarely has a poor game, what he does have is too little involvement in games but since moving into the centre he's been much more involved and dictating things, I'm inclined to keep him there for now.  SeaGal offers more defensively than Roy, so I think for games against better opposition he'll stick with that. The only other possibility I see is to start Nade up front and move Mark Stewart out wide. As much as Stewart works his arse off out wide and covers the defensive side excellently, I don't think he's the most useful player out there. Would be nice to see Handling on the bench and maybe get a run out here too.

How fucking nice is it to have options again?

Aye, I totally agree about Walsh. He's really seen a lot of the ball since moving into the centre and, although he's typically inconsistent in his use of it, I do get a wee feeling of excitement when he has it. He has the ability too conjure up something out of nothing, and we're starting to see that more often. Having the option to switch him and Froxy during the game is a really nice one to have.

Imagine we sign a decent striker in January too, the options for our front four positions would be tremendous. New guy/Nade/Stewart/Froxy/SeaGal/Walsh/Roy (loan permitting)/Handling. There's a bit of everything in there.

By the way, it only struck me this morning that Div Wilson wasn't even in the squad on Saturday. I take it he must have an injury?

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye, I totally agree about Walsh. He's really seen a lot of the ball since moving into the centre and, although he's typically inconsistent in his use of it, I do get a wee feeling of excitement when he has it. He has the ability too conjure up something out of nothing, and we're starting to see that more often. Having the option to switch him and Froxy during the game is a really nice one to have.

Imagine we sign a decent striker in January too, the options for our front four positions would be tremendous. New guy/Nade/Stewart/Froxy/SeaGal/Walsh/Roy (loan permitting)/Handling. There's a bit of everything in there.

By the way, it only struck me this morning that Div Wilson wasn't even in the squad on Saturday. I take it he must have an injury?

Didn't realise that about Wilson, must be injury/illness or something because we didn't have a full bench.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Didn't realise that about Wilson, must be injury/illness or something because we didn't have a full bench.

Poor Div. I'm glad I'm not the only one who kind of forgot about him! According to the BBC we did have a full bench though (for about the first time all season): Ewings, Hill, Roy, Prior, Johnston, Nade, Froxylias

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Poor Div. I'm glad I'm not the only one who kind of forgot about him! According to the BBC we did have a full bench though (for about the first time all season): Ewings, Hill, Roy, Prior, Johnston, Nade, Froxylias

Ah, I read the team lines incorrectly there.  Would be strange of him to take Prior along ahead of Wilson considering the difference in game time they've had.

1 hour ago, Consolidate said:

For me, the current QoS lineup looks more and less consistent in terms of quality with the various Queens' sides that have visited the Rock over the past 5/6 years. Playing against QoS has been a largely torturous experience in that time.

It's surely only a matter of time before that forward line 'clicks'. Otherwise either, or both, would be welcome to return home to the Rock.  

It hasn’t had that much opportunity to click. I think Dobbie and Kane have started up front together twice in the league, the last time being on 30 September. Kane missed a couple of games after that through injury and was an unused sub in 2 league games after coming back, before getting 25 minutes on Saturday. Dobbie has played a good few games in a more withdrawn role, including in the first half on Saturday where his job appeared to be to watch the ball sailing over his head from his position in midfield.

Interesting case of alan martin who was a hero last year but I believe left holding us and other clubs to random over contract deals .
do we boo or applaud ??

Neither.

He was a good goalie for us but certainly doesn't deserve any applause due to his shady tactics when it came hooring himself around other clubs early doors and telling local journalists he was desperate to stay etc. He also publicly embarassed the club by laughing at and mocking the deal we offered him which by all accounts was a good one for part-time football.

All the above was confirmed by Aitken at the recent meet the manager when he was questioned as to why he hadn't offered Martin a good enough deal to stay.

Some of our fans aren't happy unless they are prophesying doom.  It's hugely annoying but it isn't likely to change any time soon.
We were very poor on Saturday against Livingston, but a lot of that was to do with how well Livi played.  They were direct and physical and we couldn't cope with them at all.  Similarly we struggled to break down a compact and organised Montrose side in our previous game.  In that instance we managed to scrape through although you wouldn't know it by the reaction on here.
As you would expect for a team at this level, operating on the budget we have, our squad has it's limitations.  Our midfield in particular has been a weakness all season.  We are solid at the back, and have plenty of attacking options.  One area that needs improving is finding the best combination of these players, and finding the best balance in midfield to provide them with chances.
All in all we are chugging along quite nicely, and as far as I am concerned are performing around about as I expected.  If anything we are performing better than I expected in the league as I didn't expect us to be as close to the playoffs as we are.

What you say is largely correct and an upper mid table position is far from a disaster - just ask the Falkirk supporters.

That said I think many supporters (me included) keep the faith because we hope and look forward to the day when we can find a managerial formula that enables us to outperform our "perceived" status and mount a serious campaign at top of table. We are one of the few teams in our station who have not gained at least one brief appearance in top league in last 50 odd years!!

This is not impossible and what frustrates me this season is that we are not that far away in terms of personnel but there is a general apathy towards the club. We started this quarter with 3 successive league wins - a great launch pad but we draw a pitiful crowd for the Livvy game and as so often happens when we have to win a really important match to signify our promotion credentials we arse it up in good style.

It will be interesting to see how the players respond to Saturdays defeat.

Archived