Drumbarton vs Queen of the South

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Think these past two results could be important in the final reckoning for Drumbarton. Should be 10 points clear of 9th.

Possibly true although the squad should rightly feel at the moment that they can take points anytime, anywhere from anyone - and that we don't have to wait for the next visit to Grangemouth to roll round for a guaranteed 3 points.

In fact, a confident performance and victory at Paisley on Saturday will go some way to allay any fears of missed opportunities hurting us.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have we ever started a game without kicking the ball back then instantly punting it into the corner?! It completely infuriates me. Get the ball down and pass it around early doors ffs. What point is there in kicking it forward to lose it?

This baffles me also.  I thought it was only teams of our calibre that did this but I have witnessed it happening in the supposedly best league on the world,  the EPL.  We did vary it slightly last night though, normally Rankin will play it back to his central midfield partner who will lump it into touch,  but he played it back to defender Kerr who lumped it towards the touchline.  The outcome was the same though, and we had this seemingly problematic wind behind us which made that tactic seem even more bizarre. 

Those highlights show fairly clearly that Morrison DOES motion to go for the ball with his head as the cross is going over him on the offside goal. As such I think the referee & his assistant got it spot on in ruling it out. He's certainly got a bearing in Martin's positioning. Roy's unlucky though. It's a great run and great finish not wholly unlike the back post run from Livi got their first against us on Saturday.

EDIT - Having now watched the much clearer Dumbarton official highlights, Rooney also stops and holds his hand up for offside before Roy runs past him. He shouldn't do that of course but there's every chance if Morrison wasn't there at all or doesn't go for it Rooney steps in and simply heads it away.

57 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Think these past two results could be important in the final reckoning for Drumbarton. Should be 10 points clear of 9th.

We're doing better than I thought we would be to be honest. Aitken & Durrant deserve credit for getting the best out of certain players who've maybe turned into 'journeymen'. These are good times to be a Sons supporter, never know what's round the corner.

First of all, massive kudos to Mr SonsTV for putting in the passback shout :lol:

Anyway, I'd say the referee probably got the big calls correct. So fair play to him. Our penalty shout was a seriously risky tackle from Jason Kerr, but he appears to get a touch on the ball. The Carsy penalty concession is excellent play by Chris Kane - something he did a lot during his time with us, and Morrison absolutely went for the ball for Roy's goal, and got damn close to touching it. Correct decision to rule it out imo - even if he did flag prematurely. The run and finish from Roy are both excellent though.

5a1ee57e4502f_Screenshot2017-11-29at16_48_23.thumb.png.800fc3fb374208fe1634b8fc45a4990e.png

Whoever was covering the game for the PA updates had a 'mare. Getting both own-goal scorers pretty badly wrong. I mean Tapping looks absolutely nothing like Fordyce, and he pretty blatantly (and gracefully) headed it in. Whilst for us Carswell was stood a few yards away on the post when the ball hit Wardrop and went in.

Happy to admit I was wrong in regards to Roy's goal, last night I didn't think Morrison was as close to the action as he is. If he just stood still we'd have won the game though, which is disappointing. I'm also disappointed with Wardrop for Queens equaliser - turning your back on the ball because it might hit you in the face is not the sort of weak defending you expect in this division, if he takes that on the face/chest the chances are it doesn't go in, it's the angle of his back turning that moves the ball goalwards. Also think Scott Gallagher could be using his size at times like that and clattering everyone in his way, but we've come to expect that stuff.

I agree he's overrated (our most overrated player IMO) but his lack of protection might be a factor of him not going further forward. Or he may well be instructed not to.

To be honest in the overall scheme of things I could think of a lot more critical targets to go after than Marshall. It is the one position that we have no real cover for. He probably hasn't improved that much but if he was to improve he would be away elsewhere with us receiving a pittance in compo.

For me he is a natural left sider, he gives 100% commitment, looks to have a terrific team attitude and is pretty decent going forward. Defensively he is pretty sound.Yes he could be more of a threat in final third but that is not a bad list of positives.

I would describe Gallagher of Falkirk as over rated - Back Post Misses raved about him when he came on the scene and quoted a £1m transfer price with La Liga Giants hovering???Having seen him several times I would take Jordan over him any day.

I thought Gallacher's positioning for the penalty was wrong. He seemed to be closer to the post on his right, thereby inviting Dobbie to shoot the other way. That made it obvious to me that he was intending to dive to his left. There was no way Dobbie would've fallen for that.

To be honest in the overall scheme of things I could think of a lot more critical targets to go after than Marshall. It is the one position that we have no real cover for. He probably hasn't improved that much but if he was to improve he would be away elsewhere with us receiving a pittance in compo.

For me he is a natural left sider, he gives 100% commitment, looks to have a terrific team attitude and is pretty decent going forward. Defensively he is pretty sound.Yes he could be more of a threat in final third but that is not a bad list of positives.

I would describe Gallagher of Falkirk as over rated - Back Post Misses raved about him when he came on the scene and quoted a £1m transfer price with La Liga Giants hovering???Having seen him several times I would take Jordan over him any day.

I wasn't having a go at him tbh I was actually defending him for a change. I disagree about his defensive ability but as I hadn't intended on having a pop at him I won't go any further with that just now.

Cracking highlights there. Will try keep it short.

The main decisions were all correct for me. Kerr is taking a chance sliding in there but looks like he won the ball. Our penalty is a stonewaller. The offside decision is spot on as the ball clearly makes an attempt to go for the ball. He must have been kicking himself afterwards and his reaction shows he knew he'd ballsed it up.

Not much we could have done to prevent the first but I've no idea what Tapping was doing. He must have saw it though as he looks like he's trying to cushion the header. Kerr loses his man for the second but Martin could possibly have done better.

Final point is I noticed yet again McFadden played a part in all our (half) chances from open play. I think he could be a big asset playing just behind the strikers.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Happy to admit I was wrong in regards to Roy's goal, last night I didn't think Morrison was as close to the action as he is. If he just stood still we'd have won the game though, which is disappointing.

Actually think your official highlights pretty clear show Rooney behind Morrison stop his run and wait for offside to be given as soon as he sees Morrison go for it. He shouldn't do that just in case the officials get it wrong but there's also every chance that if Morrison stays out of the way Rooney simply steps in and heads the ball away, preventing it getting to Roy. I don't think you can say for sure if Morrison doesn't go for it then it would have been a goal.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Happy to admit I was wrong in regards to Roy's goal, last night I didn't think Morrison was as close to the action as he is. If he just stood still we'd have won the game though, which is disappointing. I'm also disappointed with Wardrop for Queens equaliser - turning your back on the ball because it might hit you in the face is not the sort of weak defending you expect in this division, if he takes that on the face/chest the chances are it doesn't go in, it's the angle of his back turning that moves the ball goalwards. Also think Scott Gallagher could be using his size at times like that and clattering everyone in his way, but we've come to expect that stuff.

Apology accepted. 

A few thoughts on last nights game.  Dumbarton the better team for the first 30 mins, thereafter Queens had the upper hand. Second half was the opposite a Dobbbie inspired  Queens kept the ball on the deck and played some decent football then the Sons  finished strongly.  On balance a draw about right. A huge improvement from Saturday. Questions; Stirling was signed to provide width so why is he kept on the bench when  we continually  lump balls forward through the middle when he would be an ideal option out wide to get behind the defence. Will Tapping ever realise his potential?  Will Martin reproduce his Dumbarton form and why is Dykes an automatic first team pick?

Archived