Drumbarton vs Queen of the South

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Murray had a decent game, he always tries to play a decent pass, maybe a wee bit more confidence and he would do better.

Also thought Rankin came into a good game.

Interesting comment re Dobbie from Dumbarton perspective. It must be terrifying to see him waltz past players with ease and looking so dangerous. In recent weeks, it just hasn’t ended with any actual goals.

After the TNS debacle, even the penalty wasn’t a given, I was pleased to see it go in!

First game in a while for me last night and have to say that the starting 11 has to change on Saturday surely? We were far better once Rooney came on, he might have a few dodgy moments at the back but at least he tries to create something. Stirling also added a bit of drive to the midfield, a far better player than Dykes, Tapping and Murray who all did He-Haw and look way out their depth. We are crying out for a stronger central midfielder!

As for the game I thought we were very poor for the first 25-30 minutes. Hadn’t realised we had turned into a long ball team? Long ball after long ball from Martin and Kerr, most of which ran straight out of play or to their keeper!! Part of the problem here though is that there is no creativity or movement in the middle of the pitch to pass the ball through teams.

After 30 minutes we were much improved, although mainly due to 3/4 players really (McFadden, Dobbie, Rooney, Stirling). McFadden did fairly well at times in trying to link up with Dobbie, who was also far stronger in the 2nd half.

On the main decisions I thought the officials got it right. Kerr won the ball just before half time so no penalty there. It was a clear penalty for us on Kane and Morrison moved towards the ball for the disallowed goal. I’ll admit if I was a sons fan though I’d be screaming for it to stand!!

Overall, a draw probably fair enough although I think we should have been able to wrap it up in the 2nd half.

Agree with this.

Dumbarton retreated into a defensive shell after totally dominating first 25 mins and continued in this vein until last 15 mins when they re- grouped. Poor tactics I'm afraid as we were there for the taking.

We actually played some decent stuff after the break with Dobbie at the heart of almost every good move. Thought he was excellent in this period.

Our long ball hoofs from defence are largely as a result of our midfield giving the back 4 no out ball but once Sons stopped pressing us it was easier to pick passes and we did much better into the wind.

Some really poor performances last night - Tapping, Dykes, Murray were passengers and while some will say that Martin had no chance with the goals, the concrete that seems to root him permanently to the goal line can't inspire any confidence in his back 4 colleagues.

As someone else said in an earlier post I don't think anyone is saying that Stirling is a budding superstar but Dykes is totally ineffectual in the wide areas and Connor Murray just doesn't display the quality that he probably has in terms of potential. Stirling has a Championship track record of performance which is massively better over a long period than either of these two and only our Manager can shed light on his continual omission. Even if Stirling has disappointed since his arrival you can say the same thing about those continually selected ahead of him.

I have absolutely no idea why we choose to become absolute shitebags and camp around our own box after we go into a lead. We done the same on Saturday.

We look far superior when we're pressing teams higher up the park than we do inviting teams onto us.

The 2 points over the last 2 games could've been 6 if we hadn't went with the "oh f**k we're winning here, every c**t just stand around our own box tactics".

Sad!

10 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

For the offside goal, flag went up early (otherwise Martin would have leapt off his line and prevented it....).

:lol:

I think everyone is underestimating the effects of the wind on last night. It seemed pretty clear to me that both teams struggled to get to grips with playing with the wind behind them. I don't think Dumbarton particularly tried to sit on what they had so much as, like us first half, it was very hard to get passing with the wind blowing the ball away from you any time it was hit more than about 10 yards. It took us about half an hour to find a way to play football first half and Dumbarton something pretty similar second half.

Game wasn't a classic by any means but there were some good parts. I thought for the last hour we played reasonably well without exactly peppering the Dumbarton goal. With Tapping going off and then Murray getting an injury we ended up in an effective 4-1-4 formation with Murray sitting as an extra passenger in the middle. Pretty much anything could have happened in that last 10 minutes and largely did with goals at each end and a controversial disallowed winner. Rankin had a good game generally but the work he had to do when left as a one man midfield late on was tremendous.

2 hours ago, aggie#11 said:

First game in a while for me last night and have to say that the starting 11 has to change on Saturday surely? We were far better once Rooney came on, he might have a few dodgy moments at the back but at least he tries to create something. Stirling also added a bit of drive to the midfield, a far better player than Dykes, Tapping and Murray who all did He-Haw and look way out their depth. We are crying out for a stronger central midfielder!

As for the game I thought we were very poor for the first 25-30 minutes. Hadn’t realised we had turned into a long ball team? Long ball after long ball from Martin and Kerr, most of which ran straight out of play or to their keeper!! Part of the problem here though is that there is no creativity or movement in the middle of the pitch to pass the ball through teams.

After 30 minutes we were much improved, although mainly due to 3/4 players really (McFadden, Dobbie, Rooney, Stirling). McFadden did fairly well at times in trying to link up with Dobbie, who was also far stronger in the 2nd half.

On the main decisions I thought the officials got it right. Kerr won the ball just before half time so no penalty there. It was a clear penalty for us on Kane and Morrison moved towards the ball for the disallowed goal. I’ll admit if I was a sons fan though I’d be screaming for it to stand!!

Overall, a draw probably fair enough although I think we should have been able to wrap it up in the 2nd half.

20 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agree with this.

Dumbarton retreated into a defensive shell after totally dominating first 25 mins and continued in this vein until last 15 mins when they re- grouped. Poor tactics I'm afraid as we were there for the taking.

We actually played some decent stuff after the break with Dobbie at the heart of almost every good move. Thought he was excellent in this period.

Our long ball hoofs from defence are largely as a result of our midfield giving the back 4 no out ball but once Sons stopped pressing us it was easier to pick passes and we did much better into the wind.

Some really poor performances last night - Tapping, Dykes, Murray were passengers and while some will say that Martin had no chance with the goals, the concrete that seems to root him permanently to the goal line can't inspire any confidence in his back 4 colleagues.

As someone else said in an earlier post I don't think anyone is saying that Stirling is a budding superstar but Dykes is totally ineffectual in the wide areas and Connor Murray just doesn't display the quality that he probably has in terms of potential. Stirling has a Championship track record of performance which is massively better over a long period than either of these two and only our Manager can shed light on his continual omission. Even if Stirling has disappointed since his arrival you can say the same thing about those continually selected ahead of him.

Two fair summaries of the game from a QOS point of view. We were much more effective,  and better to watch,  when we got the ball down on the deck and passed it around.  A vast difference from the Livi game and the first half last night when the object seemed to be trying to strip the leather off the ball punting it up the park.  Fordyce could be a big miss for quite a few games if it's his hamstring that's gone.  He certainly looked in a bit of discomfort when he came to sit in the stand. 

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think everyone is underestimating the effects of the wind on last night. It seemed pretty clear to me that both teams struggled to get to grips with playing with the wind behind them. I don't think Dumbarton particularly tried to sit on what they had so much as, like us first half, it was very hard to get passing with the wind blowing the ball away from you any time it was hit more than about 10 yards. It took us about half an hour to find a way to play football first half and Dumbarton something pretty similar second half.

It's just an idea I had but when playing with a strong wind behind you wouldn't it be more sensible to keep the ball down on the deck as much as possible rather than punting high balls forward?

Why does marshall start his overlapping run far too late?

Does he have anyone to overlap? On Saturday he was effectively the only left sided player we had and not for the first time this season. I'm not one of the Marshall fanboys but even I think it's harsh to expect him to do the role of the LM as well as his own duties.

Does he have anyone to overlap? On Saturday he was effectively the only left sided player we had and not for the first time this season. I'm not one of the Marshall fanboys but even I think it's harsh to expect him to do the role of the LM as well as his own duties.

McFadden had to tell him last night to go by him by time he does it, it’s not an option. Massively overrated

5 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

McFadden had to tell him last night to go by him by time he does it, it’s not an option. Massively overrated

Surprised he hasnt been found out, he ain't improved they way I thot he would after first season, good player but doesn't tend to read the game very well.

I agree he's overrated (our most overrated player IMO) but his lack of protection might be a factor of him not going further forward. Or he may well be instructed not to.

Some highlights posted on youtube by a QOS fan.

Have we ever started a game without kicking the ball back then instantly punting it into the corner?! It completely infuriates me. Get the ball down and pass it around early doors ffs. What point is there in kicking it forward to lose it?

Archived