Drumbarton vs Queen of the South

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

My eyes were open Broony. I'm happy to admit I need the highlights to confirm the penalty decision as I was at the other end of the stadium, much like you were for the disallowed goal.

5cc1b2c2a4a9e202fc7cc8f0bb2f897d.jpg

And I saw Morrison jump for the ball that was a good yard or two over his head. He very clearly went to play the ball while well offside. The linesman saw that and put his flag up, is it correct probably but I can see why you all feel a bit hard done by as it was a well taken goal by someone who was onside. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing not to win when infront twice but conceding two sloppy goals, we can't really complain.

I too anticipate eagerly the SonsTV highlights to clear up matters but for me, the Mark Stewart penalty claim wasn't a penalty.

The other two big decisions, Queens' penalty was definitely one, no complaints there.

But Roy's goal at the end, the linesman's had a shocker. Morrison wasn't interfering with play in the slightest, Roy robbed of a great winning goal there. Quite how Queen's fans are adamant it was the correct decision is baffling.

Thought Queens edged the second half after we dominated the first. A point probably fair on reflection but being pegged back twice and having our goal wrongly chopped off makes it feel like two points dropped.

Hutton and Wardrop excellent for us and happy to see Morrison finally hit the net too. Oh well, on to St. Mirren.

8 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

And I saw Morrison jump for the ball that was a good yard or two over his head. He very clearly went to play the ball while well offside. The linesman saw that and put his flag up, is it correct probably but I can see why you all feel a bit hard done by as it was a well taken goal by someone who was onside. 

Take Morrison out of that situation and nothing changes to the play, ergo, he wasn't interfering. Settle down, hawkeye.

I thought it was a pen but I also thought Stewart’s n first half was . Red offside goal think very poor lino may have flagged to quick and he and ref didn’t have bottle to back down. Morrison may have been close enough to be interfering with play .

overall probably a fair result 

7 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

On a totally unrelated subject, when Dowie knee'd the ball back to Gallacher in the first half, and Shaun Rooney (IIRC) went off his head at the referee about a passback I could just imagine SD quietly fuming that one of his players didn't know the rules :lol:

:lol: I wasnt "quietly" fuming although I thought it was Rankin not Rooney. I can only presume he didnt see properly what happened given he played half a season with Dowie last season and he did one of those every single week. It was a standing joke Dowser made sure to do it at least once a game.

As for the controversy incidents:

Without quite reaching Broony's "front room" theory I would agree with him it was a clear penalty.

The flag was up early on the Dumbarton "winner". Morrison was miles off and at the time I thought near enough to distract and get in the keeper's eye. Roy wasnt off but I thought the right call. Will reserve final judgement till I see it again though.

I was concerned on the Kerr challenge on Stewart. In the "seen them given" category. Although there wasnt much complaint on pitch to be honest.

As for general, thought the wind affected the game a lot. It was hard to play with the wind behind as the ball was just running away. Dumbarton dominated the opening 30 - 35 mins. We got to grips with it for the last ten mins. Second half was dominated by us for half an hour before again Dumbarton got to grips with it and the last 15 was to and fro.

Point each was probably fair.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Take Morrison out of that situation and nothing changes to the play, ergo, he wasn't interfering. Settled down, hawkeye.

So by jumping and making a move for the ball he is by the letter of the law interfering  with play. 

15 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Any of you eagle eyed Queens boys confirm who scored the opener? Fordyce seems to be the name quoted in the PA reports - but I saw someone say earlier that I wasn't him, and then a tweet said he wasn't even that near it.

Definitely Tapping. Hit him on the side of the head and looped into the top corner. He wasnt even looking at it.

1 minute ago, Broony88 said:

So by jumping and making a move for the ball he is by the letter of the law interfering  with play. 

He doesn't touch the ball and I honestly don't think he affects anything Alan "Stand Still" Martin was doing. You can move towards the play and not be interfering.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

He doesn't touch the ball and I honestly don't think he affects anything Alan "Stand Still" Martin was doing. You can move towards the play and not be interfering.

Not if your in an offside position and in the way of the play trying to header it. Try again. 

22 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I can't say I even noticed when the linesman flagged to be honest. I just remember thinking that Morrison was miles off and then, boof, out of nowhere, Ally Roy appears and bends in a beauty. If he did flag in anticipation then he's got it badly wrong.

Obviously it was at the other end of the pitch, but the Stewart one looked like a penalty to me - unless it was the defender and not Mark who put the ball into the box.

SonsTV has a lot of clearing up to do.

On a totally unrelated subject, when Dowie knee'd the ball back to Gallacher in the first half, and Shaun Rooney (IIRC) went off his head at the referee about a passback I could just imagine SD quietly fuming that one of his players didn't know the rules :lol:

That is exactly what happened. He raised the flag far too early. Morrison didn't make any move to try and play the ball. He stepped forward as the defence stepped out, but he made absolutely no attempt to go for the ball. The lino has to wait and see how play develops as the rules clearly say if he isn't active then he isn't offside. He also didn't have any effect on Alan Martin coming (or lack of) off his line.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Definitely Tapping. Hit him on the sife of the head and looped into the top corner. He wasnt even looking at it.

4 minutes ago, NOTS said:

I was speaking to Fordyce when leaving the game and he said Tapping got the own goal.

Cheers guys  :)

4 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

That is exactly what happened. He raised the flag far too early. Morrison didn't make any move to try and play the ball. He stepped forward as the defence stepped out, but he made absolutely no attempt to go for the ball. The lino has to wait and see how play develops as the rules clearly say if he isn't active then he isn't offside. He also didn't have any effect on Alan Martin coming (or lack of) off his line.

Fair enough. I feel this is going to need some slow-mo replays on SonsTV and, with a bit of luck, that mad Match of the Day camera that is right in line as the ball is played ;)

Here’s me thought Tapping did nothing all the game but it turns out he headed Dumbarton in front!

Have to say when Tapping and McFadden went off we were instantly better. 

Annoyed at Dumbarton 2nd, guy had two players against him and got a cross in which eluded our tallish defenders and went in off the post? Though credit to the scorer. 

For the offside goal, flag went up early (otherwise Martin would have leapt off his line and prevented it....).

Was actually a bit exciting at end, both teams trying to win. 

Never the easiest place to go and on the balance of things it's maybe not a bad point. It takes us a point nearer to the final play off place with a good chance on Saturday to take it.

Onwards and upwards, eh.

First game in a while for me last night and have to say that the starting 11 has to change on Saturday surely? We were far better once Rooney came on, he might have a few dodgy moments at the back but at least he tries to create something. Stirling also added a bit of drive to the midfield, a far better player than Dykes, Tapping and Murray who all did He-Haw and look way out their depth. We are crying out for a stronger central midfielder!

As for the game I thought we were very poor for the first 25-30 minutes. Hadn’t realised we had turned into a long ball team? Long ball after long ball from Martin and Kerr, most of which ran straight out of play or to their keeper!! Part of the problem here though is that there is no creativity or movement in the middle of the pitch to pass the ball through teams.

After 30 minutes we were much improved, although mainly due to 3/4 players really (McFadden, Dobbie, Rooney, Stirling). McFadden did fairly well at times in trying to link up with Dobbie, who was also far stronger in the 2nd half.

On the main decisions I thought the officials got it right. Kerr won the ball just before half time so no penalty there. It was a clear penalty for us on Kane and Morrison moved towards the ball for the disallowed goal. I’ll admit if I was a sons fan though I’d be screaming for it to stand!!

Overall, a draw probably fair enough although I think we should have been able to wrap it up in the 2nd half.

Seen the organization and drills our players must be doing in training work in the first half when stewart and the mdfield forced the queens play wide and then into a long pass that ran out of play.

Could've done with that in the second half when their CB ran up the park with the ball unchallenged to win the corner which led to their second.

I thought we'd a great start and then retreated to let queens have too much of the ball and play for the rest of the first half. Second half was the dobbie show and we were barely in it.

Carswell done great with our first goal by winning two great tackles in a row, but will be gutted to give away the pen and the og.

We had started okay before Dumbartons opener, Lyndon should’ve scored then they went right up Park to score. Then we fell to pieces for near rest of first half.

Second half was a lot better, we dictated the play but still probably struggled to get in behind Dumbarton. Introduction of Kane and Stirling definitely helped us.

Why does marshall start his overlapping run far too late? Thought he was poor last night, tapping isn’t good enough, unsure if Connor Murray is, Lyndon poor last night. Agree with what someone said before Rooney maybe isn’t greatest defender but least he has a go at teams from
Full back.

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

Never the easiest place to go and on the balance of things it's maybe not a bad point. It takes us a point nearer to the final play off place with a good chance on Saturday to take it.

Onwards and upwards, eh.

Where is this "easiest place to go"?  Nobody ever says. 

Archived