Lichties v Stranraer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely. Swankie off, Hammy on at half time. Macintosh coming off and Prunty on was a complete mystery. Denholm was totally unfit and looked unhappy and tentative. No point in him coming on, and I hope it hasn't exacerbated his injury. I really hope for a big improvement ext week at ClifftonHell.

Denholm was clearly fit he was running about daft?? He just had a bad game like everyone else.

One thing I would say regards the 'booked in the first half = hooked at half time' rule Dick seems to have is he only enforces it 75% of the time. There have been quite a few games where some players have picked up bookings in the first half but we've left them on. If it was a consistent rule Dick had then although I might disagree with it I could respect it. It being a 'rule' which is sometimes isn't enforced makes it rather odd to me - and considering that it seems very, very surprising to me that he preferred to start the second half yesterday with two half fit players (Swankie and Denholm) on the park with two fully fit players (McCord and Hamilton) on the bench.

I think yesterday we were in a difficult situation in terms of injuries and players missing - we had several starters missing and  two players who were on the park at times yesterday who were clearly struggling massively and some lee-way does have to be given to Dick in terms of he can only work with what he has got and it's hardly his fault we've been battered with injuries in the last few weeks. However, there are plenty of things I would have done differently yesterday (hindsight is a wonderful thing though....).

I agree with setting up with the same formation that has seen us won our last few games prior to yesterday, however I would definitely have changed to a back 4 at half time, and we simply must change to a back  4 for next week in my opinion. The formation change was made at the right time and worked against QP away, but we've seen against Forfar and yesterday just how vulnerable it leaves us down the flanks. We got lucky against Forfar that we didn't concede due to this and yesterday that luck deserted us (no complaints, we didn't deserve anything from the game).

I think my opinion on Gav's contribution this season is obvious to everyone and I'm not going to go on about it every single week, however I do feel the need to make a couple of comments on yesterday..... Obviously he contributed literally zero yesterday in his hour on the park, however it has been said he was still struggling with the injury he picked up a few weeks ago so this has to be taken into account....  I think starting him yesterday was  unfair though as it showed him up massively and he shouldn't have been on the park in that condition. Has Gav contributed enough this year that even a half fit Gav is better on the park than a fully fit Colin Hamilton (we could have changed shape, or put ToB into the middle of the park) or Kane Hester? Kane looked very good when he came on last week v Forfar, and has taken almost every opportunity he's been given this year with a good performance and/ or a goal off the bench. He has actually contributed more goals/ assists this season than Gav in far less game time I think? I find it quite hard to justify a fully fit Gavin Swankie starting based on performances so far this year, let alone a half fit Gavin Swankie. He shouldn't have been on the park and it cost us yesterday in my opinion with the game going on around him as he struggled to keep up.

I also felt yesterday some of our changes were a bit odd - and Dick really should have changed to 4 at the back in my opinion, as we were yet again being hammered down the flanks consistently and it was just a matter of time before we conceded, and the winner was always coming for them. We needed to change things at half time in order to try and get back on top, and taking off a fit McCord and having two unfit players on the park and leaving the same shape was the wrong decision in my opinion. As said above, the yellow card rule isn't always enforced by Dick, so why couldn't yesterday be one of his exceptions? He didn't need to do it, and considering the players it left us with on the park and their condition it cost us.

Managers won't get it right every week, and players will have off days. Unfortunately our manager didn't get it right yesterday, some of our bigger players had off days and we were already struggling with injuries. These things happen - we won't get results every week and we will struggle in games. I'm sure we'll bounce back in the coming weeks.

17 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

One thing I would say regards the 'booked in the first half = hooked at half time' rule Dick seems to have is he only enforces it 75% of the time. There have been quite a few games where some players have picked up bookings in the first half but we've left them on. If it was a consistent rule Dick had then although I might disagree with it I could respect it. It being a 'rule' which is sometimes isn't enforced makes it rather odd to me - and considering that it seems very, very surprising to me that he preferred to start the second half yesterday with two half fit players (Swankie and Denholm) on the park with two fully fit players (McCord and Hamilton) on the bench.

I think yesterday we were in a difficult situation in terms of injuries and players missing - we had several starters missing and  two players who were on the park at times yesterday who were clearly struggling massively and some lee-way does have to be given to Dick in terms of he can only work with what he has got and it's hardly his fault we've been battered with injuries in the last few weeks. However, there are plenty of things I would have done differently yesterday (hindsight is a wonderful thing though....).

I agree with setting up with the same formation that has seen us won our last few games prior to yesterday, however I would definitely have changed to a back 4 at half time, and we simply must change to a back  4 for next week in my opinion. The formation change was made at the right time and worked against QP away, but we've seen against Forfar and yesterday just how vulnerable it leaves us down the flanks. We got lucky against Forfar that we didn't concede due to this and yesterday that luck deserted us (no complaints, we didn't deserve anything from the game).

I think my opinion on Gav's contribution this season is obvious to everyone and I'm not going to go on about it every single week, however I do feel the need to make a couple of comments on yesterday..... Obviously he contributed literally zero yesterday in his hour on the park, however it has been said he was still struggling with the injury he picked up a few weeks ago so this has to be taken into account....  I think starting him yesterday was  unfair though as it showed him up massively and he shouldn't have been on the park in that condition. Has Gav contributed enough this year that even a half fit Gav is better on the park than a fully fit Colin Hamilton (we could have changed shape, or put ToB into the middle of the park) or Kane Hester? Kane looked very good when he came on last week v Forfar, and has taken almost every opportunity he's been given this year with a good performance and/ or a goal off the bench. He has actually contributed more goals/ assists this season than Gav in far less game time I think? I find it quite hard to justify a fully fit Gavin Swankie starting based on performances so far this year, let alone a half fit Gavin Swankie. He shouldn't have been on the park and it cost us yesterday in my opinion with the game going on around him as he struggled to keep up.

I also felt yesterday some of our changes were a bit odd - and Dick really should have changed to 4 at the back in my opinion, as we were yet again being hammered down the flanks consistently and it was just a matter of time before we conceded, and the winner was always coming for them. We needed to change things at half time in order to try and get back on top, and taking off a fit McCord and having two unfit players on the park and leaving the same shape was the wrong decision in my opinion. As said above, the yellow card rule isn't always enforced by Dick, so why couldn't yesterday be one of his exceptions? He didn't need to do it, and considering the players it left us with on the park and their condition it cost us.

Managers won't get it right every week, and players will have off days. Unfortunately our manager didn't get it right yesterday, some of our bigger players had off days and we were already struggling with injuries. These things happen - we won't get results every week and we will struggle in games. I'm sure we'll bounce back in the coming weeks.

Not one mention about how well they played !! I  think you are being a bit unfair on Stranraer a lot of credit  about Arbroath's performance was about how well they played especially in the second half, I think their manager also out thought DC, his substitutions kind of proved that. 

3 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Not one mention about how well they played !! I  think you are being a bit unfair on Stranraer a lot of credit  about Arbroath's performance was about how well they played especially in the second half, I think their manager also out thought DC, his substitutions kind of proved that. 

I actually came back onto the thread to say credit to Stranraer when this popped up :lol:

I agree with everything you say; Stranraer fully deserved the win and they dominated us in the centre of the park for the vast majority of the game. They, like Forfar, obviously had us watched and knew with 3 at the back there would be plenty of space down the flanks, and they were quick to shut down our more creative players after what happened the last time we played. In our 6-2 win at Stair Park they stood off and let us play our game which ended up with us destroying them, where as yesterday we had little time on the ball and weren't able to get back into the game after a good opening 15/ 20 minutes we fell out of it and never recovered.

Swankie was shite yesterday, again so was everyone else, the way Gav carries himself about the park (which he’s done forever it’s just the way he is) gets himself more criticism than the others. If you actually watched him closely yesterday he put a fair shift in, the team were chasing shadows.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Swankie was shite yesterday, again so was everyone else, the way Gav carries himself about the park (which he’s done forever it’s just the way he is) gets himself more criticism than the others. If you actually watched him closely yesterday he put a fair shift in, the team were chasing shadows.

Very, very harsh to say David Hutton, Blair Yule and Bobby Linn were 'shite' yesterday. Yule was superb in the first 45 minutes, and despite us being poor overall Bobby Linn still managed to get several good balls into the box and create some chances for us. David Hutton made several superb saves to keep us in the game.

I will admit I didn't watch Gav too closely yesterday as I was focused on watching the ball; which very rarely went near him.

Very, very harsh to say David Hutton, Blair Yule and Bobby Linn were 'shite' yesterday. Yule was superb in the first 45 minutes, and despite us being poor overall Bobby Linn still managed to get several good balls into the box and create some chances for us. David Hutton made several superb saves to keep us in the game.
I will admit I didn't watch Gav too closely yesterday as I was focused on watching the ball; which very rarely went near him.

Apologies I didn’t literally mean everybody

And I was watching him closely cause me and my mate were arguing about this

I get that fans like someone who’s going to go flying into challenges and throw himself about but Swankie just doesn’t do that, probably should’ve came off earlier yesterday with the way the game was going

9 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Who was left back thought he was excellent in the first half but like most disappeared second ?

Whatley and Yule doesn’t work as a centre midfield partnership, as soon as they were moved there we lost the midfield battle. I’m really keen to see more of TOB in centre mid. Subbing McCord and keeping Swankie on is as bad as a decision you will see all season.

Whatley and Yule doesn’t work as a centre midfield partnership, as soon as they were moved there we lost the midfield battle. I’m really keen to see more of TOB in centre mid. Subbing McCord and keeping Swankie on is as bad as a decision you will see all season.

Where is Gav malin when you need him

Archived