St Mirren v Livingston - Winner Goes Top Edition

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

To me it's very unclear what the penalty was given for, despite the apparent certainty from the commentary team. It's a soft one. Would need a slow mo replay to spot the infringement.

Your defender is quite clever.

As Baird moves towards the goal, your defender turns to move in the opposite direction and as he passes Baird he sticks out an arm/elbow which catches/pushes Baird.

Whether it was enough to go to go to ground was debatable. However, having seen one awarded against us for a similar challenge, the maybe JR has told our defenders to take full advantage of such situations.

Some refs might have missed it or ignored it, which makes it a fortunate, but not unbelievable award IMO.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I was in W4 and couldn't hear a thing from them.

Ironic that someone who spent so long complaining about the sound from the tannoy, suddenly develops super hearing abilities that picks up away fans singing.

20 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

To me it's very unclear what the penalty was given for, despite the apparent certainty from the commentary team. It's a soft one. Would need a slow mo replay to spot the infringement.

You could also say the same for the disallowed goal. The keeper has nothing impeding him from catching it and just punched it into his own net.

I thought at the time that it was weak and an example of over-protection on keepers who flap at those sort of balls and the replay does nothing to change that opinion.

In fact, Alexander looked very suspect all night.

You could also say the same for the disallowed goal. The keeper has nothing impeding him from catching it and just punched it into his own net.
I thought at the time that it was weak and an example of over-protection on keepers who flap at those sort of balls and the replay does nothing to change that opinion.
In fact, Alexander looked very suspect all night.

Fair one. I thought at the time that Alexander was fouled but it's also unclear from the highlights.

Not from W1 they weren't. I heard the distant drum but that's all. The Livi fans were very loud and it seemed like their home match for a while. 
I think our W7 lads would be better in the South Stand where the acoustics might be better. 
Every away support drowns out W7.
Just an observation. 

How would you know what W1 can hear since you sit in the south stand ?

Missed the game but going by the highlights we were carved open a few times by St Mirren and beaten by the better side. Gallagher looked like he struggled against Morgan who seems a fantastic player. Great striker's instinct by Carrick to grab our goal...he has his detractors but like Mackin looks worth a goal or two. Their first goal looks like Alexander could have done better but possibly was unsighted. The second looks like an own goal where it's cleared off the line but hit Alexander and goes in. As for the penalty...I've watched it over and over again and tried to figure out where the foul is...I still can't see one. Anyway games over, move on and get the heads up for the weekend...a good result against Falkirk and last night will be forgotten about in no time.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Your defender is quite clever.

As Baird moves towards the goal, your defender turns to move in the opposite direction and as he passes Baird he sticks out an arm/elbow which catches/pushes Baird.

Whether it was enough to go to go to ground was debatable. However, having seen one awarded against us for a similar challenge, the maybe JR has told our defenders to take full advantage of such situations.

Some refs might have missed it or ignored it, which makes it a fortunate, but not unbelievable award IMO.

I was in the south stand and it was quite clear that the Livi defender barged Baird, he was running in a straight line towards where I was sitting and a push/ shoulder barge moved Baird a good yard or so off the line he was running. 

The camera angle doesn’t really catch it properly. 

No doubt it was a pen but something similar happens at almost every corner kick, some are given some aren’t. 

55 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

I was in the south stand and it was quite clear that the Livi defender barged Baird, he was running in a straight line towards where I was sitting and a push/ shoulder barge moved Baird a good yard or so off the line he was running. 

The camera angle doesn’t really catch it properly. 

No doubt it was a pen but something similar happens at almost every corner kick, some are given some aren’t. 

I think what helped the ref give this was that just before the corner was taken McGinn's run was blocked twice, and he made the ref aware of it.  Again,  bit like what happened to us against Morton.

What the highlights also show is just how soft the foul was on Alexander (didn't actually see one) and how soft the foul was for the freekick that led to Livvy's goal.

Ref clearly didn't have a good game last night!

Just watched footage from behind the goal on the official site.

Defender quite clearly pushes Baird in the back, right in line with the ref's view.

The ref's positioning actually made it a very easy decision to make.

19 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I think what helped the ref give this was that just before the corner was taken McGinn's run was blocked twice, and he made the ref aware of it.  Again,  bit like what happened to us against Morton.

What the highlights also show is just how soft the foul was on Alexander (didn't actually see one) and how soft the foul was for the freekick that led to Livvy's goal.

Ref clearly didn't have a good game last night!

Softer than the challenge made by the Livi player on our guy 2 seconds earlier!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, btb said:

Softer than the challenge made by the Livi player on our guy 2 seconds earlier!!!!!!!!!

Both very similar. One given one not.

Ref seemed very pro-Livvy in the first half of the game;  but if he had been he could easily have avoided giving Saints the penalty - as indeed could every ref for every penalty given as a corner gets thrown in.

So no bias, just had a poor game.

On 29/11/2017 at 21:22, tam the bud said:

How would you know what W1 can hear since you sit in the south stand ?

Been in W1 since August. The wean now happy to let rip with the sweary words. 

Archived