St Mirren v Livingston - Winner Goes Top Edition

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, JessieField said:

Just to let you Saints fans know in advance, you're in for a kicking tonight. Livvy take the term  "agricultural football"  to a new level. Expect the ball to be in the air long enough to qualify for air miles.

Your crystal ball was more than a little accurate. It beggars belief they ended up with 11 players on the park. 

Good win and probably deserved. It probably wasn't the greatest performance from us, but I was pleased with the way we were prepared to match them physically. Guys like Morgan, Smith, Magennis and Reilly aren't the biggest, but they are well prepared to mix it when required. I also thought we were clearly much fitter than them and it told in the end. Also, McGinn was superb throughout, a real level above anyone else on the pitch today with his reading of the game and control of the midfield.

For Livi, they are clearly no mugs and you can see how they have won so many games this season, but I think they lost the plot a bit tactically in the second half. The quicker players wide and the runners from midfield were causing us problems, but when they went with the giants up front and the aimless punts it became too easy for us just to crowd the target and pick up the loose ball. They'll also be really disappointed to lose three pretty soft goals.

My biggest worry tonight was the referee’s lack of control

A blatant elbow which didn’t merit even a foul.

2 players going in illegally on Morgy

my concern would our ball players make it through 90 mins.

Shocking football tactics from Hopkins, 

Just back from the game, thought I’d be coming on here to see St Mirren fans applauding a very good team performance and 3 points and also going top, instead i find comments about our support, does it really matter what our support is ? Does it affect you in any way ? We are a small Club punching above our weight, no one has said differently, I don’t see what the problem is. 

Onto the game itself St Mirren very good tonight, movement from middle to front was excellent and we just couldn’t live with it, very strong defensively too, easily the best team we’ve came up against and can see you being there or there abouts for promotion. 

As with us, just couldn’t handle the pace tonight, we done well first half but still rode our luck but 2nd half we got blown away a little, still we created 1 or 2 chances and on another night may have got a 2nd.

The penalty was too far away to comment on but I said just before that there was a soft penalty coming and low and behold...

Anyway if you’d offered me 3 points from those two games I’d have been very happy, not overly disappointed by tonight’s result, for me this was a free game, well done to St Mirren on the victory. 

If we win on Saturday at home to falkirk we go 19 points clear of them, that’s more than good enough for me. 

Good win and probably deserved. It probably wasn't the greatest performance from us, but I was pleased with the way we were prepared to match them physically. Guys like Morgan, Smith, Magennis and Reilly aren't the biggest, but they are well prepared to mix it when required. I also thought we were clearly much fitter than them and it told in the end. Also, McGinn was superb throughout, a real level above anyone else on the pitch today with his reading of the game and control of the midfield.
For Livi, they are clearly no mugs and you can see how they have won so many games this season, but I think they lost the plot a bit tactically in the second half. The quicker players wide and the runners from midfield were causing us problems, but when they went with the giants up front and the aimless punts it became too easy for us just to crowd the target and pick up the loose ball. They'll also be really disappointed to lose three pretty soft goals.

I know Morgan gets all the plaudits but for me Stephen mcginn is the best player in our team. He has everything and really should still be playing at a higher level.

Don’t really get the disdain towards Livingston tonight. Their game plan was obvious and worked in the first half but the second half turned quickly into a similar game earlier in the season. Too much space down the side of their centre halves and that is perfect for Morgan & Magennis, although we didn’t use him anywhere near as much as we should’ve.

The referee was garbage. The decision not to give a free kick for the block on Morgan, when the Livingston defender wasn’t interested in competing for the ball one bit, was laughable. Has there been a game when Jack Ross and/or James Fowler haven’t been involved in a rammy?! Good to watch nonetheless.

Good win against a very good team in this league. Need to continue this on as we will face a similar type game on Saturday.

Thats my thoughts on the game too. Thoughts Eck's was motm tonight. Happy Buddie tonight. Livi will be there or other abouts

2 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Just back from the game, thought I’d be coming on here to see St Mirren fans applauding a very good team performance and 3 points and also going top, instead i find comments about our support, does it really matter what our support is ? Does it affect you in any way ? We are a small Club punching above our weight, no one has said differently, I don’t see what the problem is. 

Onto the game itself St Mirren very good tonight, movement from middle to front was excellent and we just couldn’t live with it, very strong defensively too, easily the best team we’ve came up against and can see you being there or there abouts for promotion. 

As with us, just couldn’t handle the pace tonight, we done well first half but still rode our luck but 2nd half we got blown away a little, still we created 1 or 2 chances and on another night may have got a 2nd.

If you’d offered me 3 points from those two games I’d have been very happy, not overly disappointed by tonight’s result, for me this was a free game, well done to St Mirren on the victory. 

It looked like you missed an absolute sitter as well at either 1-1 or 2-1 I think when the no 8 got in behind and just had to square it competently to the striker in the middle for a tap in, but between them they made an arse of it and Smith came away with the ball. Looked from where I was like it should have been a goal all the way and was a real turning point, though maybe I'm being harsh.

6 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

I know Morgan gets all the plaudits but for me Stephen mcginn is the best player in our team. He has everything and really should still be playing at a higher level.

Yeah, McGinn ran the game today. He broke up so many attacks, held the ball well, and barely misplaced a pass. I think we'd survive without Morgan (not that we'd want to) but losing McGinn for any length of time would be a disaster.

The penalty was too far away to comment on but I said just before that there was a soft penalty coming and low and behold...
Anyway if you’d offered me 3 points from those two games I’d have been very happy, not overly disappointed by tonight’s result, for me this was a free game, well done to St Mirren on the victory. 
If we win on Saturday at home to falkirk we go 19 points clear of them, that’s more than good enough for me. 

Did you get a good look at the goal that was chopped off? Did it look like a foul? Thought the keeper got away with one there.
We played well tonight and we had to to beat a very well drilled side. Loved the We are staying up chant when you went temporarily top of the league[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

It looked like you missed an absolute sitter as well at either 1-1 or 2-1 I think when the no 8 got in behind and just had to square it competently to the striker in the middle for a tap in, but between them they made an arse of it and Smith came away with the ball. Looked from where I was like it should have been a goal all the way and was a real turning point, though maybe I'm being harsh.

We actually had a couple of opportunities, one at 1-1 down the left, Cadden played a ball over to Carrick who was inches away from putting the ball in, it was actually a poor ball in as it wasn’t difficult to find Carrick, the other the one I think ur talking about was Pittman running in on goal, tbh it was a very difficult pass, I’d rather have seen him shoot low and hard and who knows it may go through the keeper or fumble to one of our players. 

7 minutes ago, BIG BEN said:

Did you get a good look at the goal that was chopped off? Did it look like a foul? Thought the keeper got away with one there.
We played well tonight and we had to to beat a very well drilled side. Loved the We are staying up chant when you went temporarily top of the leagueemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.png

Looked a foul to me but i could be being biased, 9/10 the keeper gets a foul for that, that’s all i’ll say. Happy to admit I’m wrong with highlights though. 

We are very realistic just now, we know we are a small Club punching above our weight, our target is to stay in the league and it’s so far so good, in fact better than good, think the “we are staying up chant” is quite good and shows we are pretty level headed on our chances. 

Great result that, finally beat Livi in Paisley. Nice to see Morgan back on the scoresheet too.

If we are going to win the league he’s going to be the main man.

1 minute ago, andylivi1 said:

Looked a foul to me but i could be being biased, 9/10 the keeper gets a foul for that, that’s all i’ll say. 

Happy to admit I’m wrong with highlights though. 

I'd agree. I hate that it is a foul as you should be allowed to challenge the keeper the same way you can challenge a defender, but like you say that's given virtually every time.

Really don't get some of the shite coming from St Mirren fans here,

All in all a good game, and at 2-1 we could've equalised but for a fairly dodgy penalty call. Hopkin's asked the ref after who it was and what it was for, the reply was "I've seen an infringement". The ref hasn't a clue and more than likely has just taken the screams from the crowd.

We were bettered all game and the pace was one thing we couldn't deal with. 180 is a very good away support for us given the price of the game and the fact it was midweek. Folk can have their crowd w**k but it's one of the best away supports we've had for a while.

Not really seeing how people can call us a dirty team, Rafa's tackle was worth of a yellow. That's all. He's went in hard, took the ball but took the man as well.

We're hugely over achieving and it's a delight to be 3rd in the league. We're playing good football and that's fine. We played a bit below par today but Hopkin's doing an almighty job with us and the players never gave up.

Paisley 2021 - The City of the Giro ;) 

3 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

We actually had a couple of opportunities, one at 1-1 down the left, Cadden played a ball over to Carrick who was inches away from putting the ball in, it was actually a poor ball in as it wasn’t difficult to find Carrick, the other the one I think ur talking about was Pittman running in on goal, tbh it was a very difficult pass, I’d rather have seen him shoot low and hard and who knows it may go through the keeper or fumble to one of our players. 

What did you think of Hopkins attacking changes today? I thought they really nullified all the threat you had carried with Carrick up front and the two wingers. Was it a fitness issue?

Correct, that goes in and it's a totally different game. As Andy says, we also had a great chance with Cadden whipping in a great ball for Carrick early in the second half before you scored. We really missed Mullen tonight, perplexing that we operated with no real width yet played Mackin and Todorov up front thereafter. Disappointing, but hopefully a learning curve for Hopkin.

Archived