Stenhousemuir vs Montrose

Will yon steward allow inflatables in? Can see him running round for 90 minutes with a pin.
You should be fine in the terracing. Pretty sure teams have brought inflatables before. Think Fraserburgh done it a few years back

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time last year (2nd last league game of regular season) I was on the way down to Annan hoping to cement a play off place. That was a horrendous penultimate game and awful drive home. Really hoping this afternoon pans out better.

In spite of all the hopes riding on it, I hope the players just see this as another game. If they play to their potential, it is winnable. It is another 90 or so minutes to show the form that has put them in the league position they are in. At the end of the day, it does not really matter what happens up at Borough Briggs. It is about winning a game of football and if the matter isn't settled by the end of the day, it is about finishing the job and finishing well, be that this week or next.

Come on ye Mo!

Came home early from a couple of nights away for that pish.  Drastic changes needed for Tuesday night but he will not have the guts to do it.  If,  and at the moment it is a big if,  we get a result and get into the playoff he will be the luckiest manager in the league.

First up, massive credit to Montrose - their big, brilliant support was rewarded with a very professional performance. They caught Stenhousemuir cold with two goals in the opening eight minutes and then kept their opponents at arm's length for the remainder of the game. They were content to let the Warriors have plenty of the ball but rarely gave the chance to do something purposeful with it - their only opportunities in the match came were potshots from outside the box; Allan Fleming did not have a single save to make. A Stenny player told me after the match the players configured themselves to a back five after the second goal, and another said: "Montrose are the worst team to play against if you go a goal down". Fair play to them - that level of organisation and obstinance should see them over the line. I can only imagine how excited their fans are for the upcoming match against Elgin City.

Stenhousemuir, meanwhile, were pretty crap. Shaky at the back and powderpuff up front, they offered very little. They seemed frightened from Chris Templeman, and I couldn't quite believe he was given the space inside the penalty area to control a long pass and flick it over Chris Smith. He always seems to play well against Stenny. The second goal six minutes later was a disaster - Ross Dunlop sold the jerseys with another short backpass, allowing Lewis Milne to round Smith and finish from an acute angle. Two goals down with 82 minutes still to play.

After that, as mentioned, Montrose switched to a back five and seemed to allow Stenny to get back into the game by giving them possession; however, as soon as Stenny entered their half, they were right on top of them. Any time we did get the ball forward, nothing stuck and it came right back at us. Today's game will have been a massive lesson for young Andy Dallas - it's one thing scoring two goals against a garbage Edinburgh City side, but something else entirely to take on the stingiest defence in the division. We tried to change things about in the second half, removing Ross Meechan for Jimmy Scott and changing to a 3-4-3 formation but it had little effect. I don't really think anyone in maroon had a good game. We really do miss Mark McGuigan for these kind of games. I do hope he's back soon.

We're very lucky that we have a one-game advantage over Clyde but don't count on us beating a Berwick Rangers team with virtually nothing to play for on Tuesday night - any time when I've come to expect something from the team this season, I've been let down. If we don't beat Berwick, we have one final shot of securing our place in the play-offs by vanquishing Stirling Albion next weekend. We do have a decent record against them this season but this Stenhousemuir side don't really seem to handle the pressure all that well.

Of course, winning on Tuesday night will render all of this academic, but still.

21 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Came home early from a couple of nights away for that pish.  Drastic changes needed for Tuesday night but he will not have the guts to do it.  If,  and at the moment it is a big if,  we get a result and get into the playoff he will be the luckiest manager in the league.

What "drastic changes" would you suggest Brown Ferguson makes for the Berwick Rangers game? Our bench is hardly littered with glittering deputies waiting to take their chance. This is the best we've got.

10 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What "drastic changes" would you suggest Brown Ferguson makes for the Berwick Rangers game? Our bench is hardly littered with glittering deputies waiting to take their chance. This is the best we've got.

Mick Dunlop appears to be struggling with pace at the moment. I would swap him with David  Marsh and keep the rest of the defence as is.  Get rid of McMenamen up front and put Cook or Scott up there with Dallas. Keep Longworth away from the team - he has done very little.  If you put Cook up front midfield 3 of Ferry,  Scott and Paterson with Paton sitting between them and the front 2. The alternative is to keep Dunlop in the team and put Marsh in midfield in place of Scott.

Agree that we are struggling for choice and cannot even fill the bench - where is Sandy Cunningham - what a signing he is turning out to be.  Against Berwick he must go for broke.

Good performance from the players. A large and noisy support from Montrose- how many times have I been here with a dozen others, and players parents in one small corner of the stand- 600 + there today.

I’ve seen us lose abjectly here to both Stenny and the Shire many times so I am hardwired to expect nothing from games at Ochilview. Today, I was nervy beforehand but those early goals really settled everything down and we cruised through the rest of it with a quiet Rolls Royce hum. I never at any stage felt we were in danger. Stenny’s approach play neat and tidy but a pea-shooter of an attack. McMenamince looks finished.

Dillon and Matty Allan did great at the back and Terry Masson was at his snapping best in the middle of the park.

Lovely afternoon in the sun but never felt so deflated after such a commanding win. Peterhead are a pain in the arse.

Game perfectly summed up by FF as usual. Stenny ain't a prayer of going up unless they suddenly find a goal scorer, all the pretty passing and build up play means nothing otherwise. Once we got in front we padlocked the door very well.

Massively enjoyed being in (and part of) the middle of a loud noisy Miami Vice-attired explosion, even if the news of Peterhead scoring took the volume down later on.

One nervy arse-clencher of a Saturday to go......

Heartening to read Stenny supporters toying with the idea of bringing-in Nicki Paterson for a dig-out.

Of course, I don't mean that jaggedly. I fancied that if Stenny kept their best XI fit they'd have a play-off spot in the bank already. Absolute nightmare to end-up with a Tuesday-Saturday run to finish up. Particularly with such a thin squad among which there isn't a lot of dynamism to call on now.

The stakes of the next two matches should be a shot of adrenalin, mind. If it's me, I'd be planning some kind of rotation across both games. Either in-game at half-time, or straightforward rests on the Tuesday for some. Legs obviously count for a lot at this end of the season.

1 hour ago, Moonglum25 said:

Agree that we are struggling for choice and cannot even fill the bench - where is Sandy Cunningham - what a signing he is turning out to be.  Against Berwick he must go for broke.

Yes where is Sandy Cunningham ? is he injured or unavailable for some reason. Liked Sandy when he was with the Albion gives you that something different upfront. 

2 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Yes where is Sandy Cunningham ? is he injured or unavailable for some reason. Liked Sandy when he was with the Albion gives you that something different upfront. 

I reckon he's probably left the club. He played about nine minutes across three games and was behind Jamie Longworth and Colin McMenamin, and I can't imagine he was too pleased about that. Andy Dallas coming in was the writing on the wall.

Haven't got much more to add from what's already been summarised. We had the game won early on, but felt we had very little in the way of an out-ball for about 45 minutes of the game, which wasn't helped by our substitutions.

Peterhead's goal really sucked the life out of a great, vocal away end, which was a joy to be a part of. As Ivo says, there's been many an away trip the last few years where we've been countable on two hands.

Grumbles aside, we did what we needed to, we won our fifth in a row; a run where we've conceded none and scored 14. Allan and Dillon in particular solid today.

Let's just score another two early on Saturday please. Here goes another nervy week.

Archived