Stenhousemuir vs Montrose

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see why Stenhousemuir can't win today. The team picked up an excellent result up in Peterhead a fortnight ago and should have taken Alloa Athletic to a replay in the Scottish Cup last weekend - perform to the same level we did against the Wasps and we'll do alright. I can't see any reason to deviate from the usual starting XI.

Montrose, of course, are not to be trifled with and are in excellent form just now with four wins and a draw from their last five games. The two sides were well matched when they met in August. Chris Templeman is the obvious danger - stopping him is one thing, but equally as important is stopping the centre-backs and midfielders from popping balls up to him.

I'm looking forward to this game, it's been too damn long since we hosted Montrose at Ochilview.

Looking forward to today hopefully we can play like we did against Qos and give stenny a right good game.Going to be a tough one but we are a more than capable on the road to go and win this.

Jamie Longworth is probably the only one of our new signings who has disappointed. Wonder if Jimmy Scott will play up with McGuigan today? Last two home games we played well without getting the results we deserved. Will be happy today if we play shit but win one nil.

After Montrose got the goal we had enough chances to, at least, go in all square. Second half was a huge disappointment and we never really looked like scoring aside from a shot off the bar in the last minute and a rebound screwed past the post. Very similar conclusion to the prior week.

Montrose back line is marshalled well by Dillon, and the no4 - no idea who he is I’m afraid- was superb. We couldn’t prise them open despite all the possession.

Jimmy Scott is due a start.

A disappointing result and a disappointing second-half performance. On the whole, I thought we created enough to force a draw - Mark McGuigan put the ball over the bar from three yards out and Eddie Ferns forced Allan Fleming into a world-class save at the death - but I don't think I could begrudge Montrose the win. They dealt with our limited offence with relative ease and probably should have added to Terry Masson's early goal.

Both teams started on a similar footing, knocking the ball about without ever really threatening. Montrose, having shown little indication of doing so until the 15th minute, took the lead when a big Chris Templeman nodded a cross into Masson's path and the midfielder prodded home from close range, despite Chris Smith's best efforts. Stenhousemuir's defending was questionable, with Templeman's marker not getting close enough and no-one checking Masson's run into the penalty box. It was the first time I'd seen Stenny go behind for a long time and there almost a sense of disbelief; I was looking at the officials in the hope of a rogue flag.

The Warriors should have drawn level immediately after the restart. Eddie Ferns, in a rare moment of good play, twisted past his marker, hit the byline and played a low centre across the face of goal to an unmarked McGuigan. God only knows how it happened but the striker skewed his shot miles over the bar from inside the six-yard box. If you're being particularly kind, you might argue the ball took a bounce before he made contact but a player of McGuigan's calibre really should have scored; no excuses, it was a shocking miss.

Stenny were probably the better side over the first half, knocking the ball around well and playing through Mark Ferry and Harry Paton, but Fleming was never really tested. For all their possession across the back and the midfield, it lacked penetration. Nicki Paterson fired narrowly over the crossbar after a decent move, but that was as good as it got.

All the home side needed to do was remain patient and reprise their first-half performance after the interval but, for another week, the showing in the second half bore no resemblance to what preceded it. The good first half/bad second half has happened several times this campaign - the opening day defeat to Stirling Albion, both 1-1 draws with Clyde, last weekend's Scottish Cup loss to Alloa Athletic - and it's becoming incredibly tiresome. Rather than work the ball through the excellent Paton, a player operating at level some distance beneath him, we played it long. The centre-backs would work it wide to the full-backs, who would play it long, time and time again, and the tactic did not work once. Montrose's back four, marshalled by the excellent Sean Dillion, repelled everything but they were never really stretched. Stenhousemuir are capable of better and they did not thoroughly examine their opponents.

As the game became more frantic, Montrose had two good chances to score, the second of which saw Liam Callaghan go one on one with Smith, but the winger leathered the ball against the big goalie. As the game reached its conclusion, Ferns picked up the ball on the edge of the area and hit a superb left-footed shot towards the top corner, but Fleming, diving at full stretch, got a fingertip to it and pushed it against the crossbar. After the resultant corner, the ball broke to Ferns again but he drove his effort wide of goal.

Credit to Montrose, I've seen them twice now and been quietly impressed with them on both occasions. They were steadfast in defence, combative in midfield and occasionally tricky up front. Templeman can still be a nuisance, all legs and that big bum of his, and he seems to have forged a decent partnership with Craig Johnston. I like the Mo as a club and I hope they have a successful season.

As for Stenny, that was a big opportunity to solidify second place missed (and with Elgin City thumping Berwick Rangers, we've now fallen out of the top four altogether). Too many players were subdued and couldn't get into the game while Paton was rarely involved in the second half. A special word to Eddie Ferns for turning in one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time. Despite setting up McGuigan on a silver salver and almost netting an equaliser, nothing he did went right. There were three moments in the second half that provoked hilarity - he beat two men then fired a crossfield pass straight out of play; he worked the ball into a decent area on the left and wildly skewed his cross; and, brilliantly, when it appeared Ruaridh Donaldson had won a throw-in, he stuck out a foot to poke it out and give possession back to the Mo. Dear me.

Perfectly summed up by FF.  It is now becoming tedious and worrying that after half time we fall  completely out of the game.  That is the last 3 weeks we have had second half non events and that must lie with the manager or the players attitude.

It is time we got this substitute crap out of the way, other teams make instant substitutions but we take 5 minutes as the staff explain to the players exactly what is in the magic book. If they do not know their role by now then that is another management failing. Get it sorted.

;Eddie Ferns - enough has been said.  Long ball hit and hope tactic, sorry in Bomber's word "The Long Pass" clearly not working and other teams have now sussed it do we have plan B?

Four things from todays game,

1. WHAT. A. MISS The hideous final touch from McGuigan is one of the worst I've ever seen, he could have let it hit his arse and it would have gone in.
  2. Fearns had a stinker in the second half, the cross that ended up hitting the back wall of the terracing being his worst moment BUT a lot of the time that he got the ball he had nowhere to go as McGuigan seemed to be the only one upfront, Longworth was for me the worst player in the home team. I offered more of an attacking threat. At one point Fearns was getting criticised for not crossing the ball but there were 8 Montrose players in the box and only one Stenny player - what was he supposed to do?
  3. Stenny didn't start trying in the second half until the last couple of minutes -a great tip onto the bar from Fleming denied the maroons a point but that was the sort of play that should have been on show 40 minutes earlier.
  4. The only thing Templeman did this afternoon was set up the goal and there Chris Smith was unlucky - he seemed to throw himself at where the ball should have been but the Montrose player appeared to sclaff it and thus the ball squirmed under his grasp.

Great win for the Mo not the best of games but grounded out the victory that was the main thing.
Sean Dillion has been a brilliant bit of business led by example at the back with Ian Campbell and Matty Alan working wonders with that defence right now.
Special mention to Gary Fraser who worked his socks off when he came on looked up for the fight which is good to see.still think we need another striker on board to convert more chances we are making.Good win for the mo though stenny are no mugs thought your number 8 in the middle of the park was a good player he stood out a mile have our captain the run around in the first half.

Very fair summaries from both sides above. Mo don't usually score lots of goals but are hard to break down with a solid back 3 plus 2 very fit and hard working wing backs which few teams if any this season (including QoS 3 times) have got to grips with. Midfield they have options each week but it's up top we need more fire power - but so too do a lot of teams. At least a solid defence means a single goal can win a game and that's what we are doing. Not pretty at times but it's results that count.

Stenny are certainly a better than average L2 side but I can't figure out why they aren't doing better. They do have at least one if not two proven scorers. Their best player in my opinion was Harry Paton on loan I think from Hearts and on balance a draw might have been more fair - but since when did 'fair' come into it in a football match?

Anyway Mo are top of the league tonight thanks to Binos taking a rest so we'll enjoy it while it lasts - can't remember the last time it happened and right now can't be arsed to find out!

It’s odd. I think the only points we have taken where you could argue we got more than our performance deserved was at Peterhead. Elsewhere we have left so many points on the table, today being a good example. I hope it will turn and we will start picking up undeserved points.

We seem incapable of scoring enough when on top. Maybe we are over reliant on McGuigan’s goals. The defence is pretty solid and Paton must be close to Hearts first team but we just can’t capitalise when on top.

• 4 months later...

A big match for both sides. If the games go their way, Stenhousemuir can secure their play-off place (and maybe even jump into third in the process!); Montrose, meanwhile, could win the division if they can better Peterhead's result at Elgin City. There's a heck of a lot at stake on Saturday and I can't wait.

We haven't done too well against Montrose this season, picking up one point from our three encounters but, according to several observers, the last meeting at Links Park might just have been the best we've played all season. We just couldn't score!

The sensational highs of the last-minute winner against Annan Athletic was tempered by a dour 0-0 draw with Berwick Rangers on Tuesday night. Consistency has been a big problem this season and we have a very patchy record at home. We'll need to be a lot smarter against Montrose than we have done in previous meetings, so that means no long balls, because Matty Allan and Sean Dillon will stroll through it. Getting Harry Paton on the ball and (presumably) wingers Eddie Ferns and Alan Cook will be key to any success. They're a very stingy side and don't give much away, so we have to use a bit of ingenuity and a bit of width.

I don't see why we can't win this, and I imagine Mo fans will be feeling the same. Let's hope football is the winner, eh!

Archived