Rainbow Laces Campaign

Cosmic Joe

14 minutes ago, banana said:

This definitely won't end with folk correctly refusing to be strong-armed into LGBT activism then being called bigots.

Definitely.

I wish you would just drop this pretence of being Scottish and just say where you're from and what you're about. If you knew anything about Scottish football fans you would know how idiotic that last post was.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wish you would just drop this pretence of being Scottish and just say where you're from and what you're about. If you knew anything about Scottish football fans you would know how idiotic that last post was.

Apologies... LGBTTQQIAAPROFLBBQ.

8 minutes ago, cowden0 said:

If you think that football players wearing rainbow laces will end prejudice then knock yourself out. You may be disappointed though.

Get to bed Grandad, you've got square/lorne sausage in/on a roll to deal with tomorrow, and then is the matter of the sauce. Far more serious than allowing gay marriage and the like.

8 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

You're bang on there (cue yet another Kenneth Williams pic). 

Posters are happy to shout down obviously homophobic posts without having the balls to support something that might not be consistent with perceived "popular opinion"...  

I am not taking the piss here or looking to score points. I actually can't work out what you mean by "perceived popular opinion" in this situation?

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've looked into this matter and almost bought a mug until I found out the gays hate the welsh. We can't even express our support for the gays in our own language.

https://stonewalluk.myshopify.com/collections/accessories/products/stonewall-welsh-language-mug

I'd saw that pair of bilinguals in half. 

"Your adverts on the side of buses made a huge difference to me this year. One passed me every lunchtime when I went for a walk with a colleague, and seeing it gave me the courage to come out to him. The first person I ever told."
- Angela Gorrie, Stonewall supporter.

Related image

We all know that LGBT people exist, most of us couldnt couldnt care less if someone is LGBT. There is a minority that are homophobic for their own reasons, however their mindset will never change no matter how often you wave a rainbow in their face. 

I just dont see the point, LGBT campaigners are now really starting to annoy me, not because they are LGBT but because the wont stop going on about it.

PaddyPower used to give out the laces for free, no idea if they still do though.
Not sure why anyone would complain about this. If anything, it makes me wish more players just wore more plain black boots so the laces stood out more but I understand this isn’t the fault or the ambition of the campaign.

We all know that LGBT people exist, most of us couldnt couldnt care less if someone is LGBT. There is a minority that are homophobic for their own reasons, however their mindset will never change no matter how often you wave a rainbow in their face. 
I just dont see the point, LGBT campaigners are now really starting to annoy me, not because they are LGBT but because the wont stop going on about it.

I might be wrong here, but I’m sure the focus of the campaign is to show LGBT people that they will be accepted regardless of their sexuality when they see thousands of people supporting the campaign. Although it’d be a bonus to get some bigots to change their mind, I don’t think that’s the aim of the campaign.

7 minutes ago, smpar said:

I might be wrong here, but I’m sure the focus of the campaign is to show LGBT people that they will be accepted regardless of their sexuality when they see thousands of people supporting the campaign. Although it’d be a bonus to get some bigots to change their mind, I don’t think that’s the aim of the campaign.

But thats my point,  they are accepted by the majority. To think otherwise in the LGBT community is just as ignorant imo.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Its where we're at, and not just the LGBT lot but pretty much all groups. If people feel passionate about any matter they feel the need to bang on about it, while generally being dismissive of other groups banging on about what they feel passionate about.  :lol:

Best to just not leave the house, or turn on the TV or go online. Don't answer the door either thinking about it.

This is undoubtedly a worthy cause, but for me one that was crucially mismanaged last time round.  Paddy Power’s advertising encouraging us to get “right behind gay footballers,” for me simply typified the kind of pomaded seaside postcard routine that trades on tired homophobic stereotypes.

Like it or not, there is a reason that no high profile footballer has come out as homosexual – and I’m not convinced that this campaign, in isolation, does anything whatsoever to change this climate.  Exactly the same type of simpleton that happily leers abuse at Brighton supporters, will stoicly applaud their team for supporting this campaign – and until that hypocrisy is addressed, I don’t forsee any progress on the matter.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

City were encouraged to change the laces on their boots which everyone did except one player who was reluctant- it wasn't that he was homophobic, it just totally upset his match routine! 

Possibly the worst excuse I've heard. "I don't want to" would've been better than admitting you're a superstitious bawbag.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Possibly the worst excuse I've heard. "I don't want to" would've been better than admitting you're a superstitious bawbag.

I thought this too, how much of match routine does this guy need in Scottish League 2?? I used to work beside a guy who at the time was playing for either Alloa or East Fife, if we were working Saturday morning overtime he used to come in with a McDonald's breakfast in hand!

11 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Doesn't care what anyone does as long as they are keeping behind closed doors and not in front of bairns.

Archived