East Fife v Airdrieonians

LiamA

No better seeing it again but well produced by you guys.  The number of times our players throw their hands up in the air on conceding a goal must be the only FT training they do. Noticed Stewart and Conroy having a long confab on the way off-more energy from our captain there than during the game?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is the odd thing that can be put down to lack of experience, like Cairns standing 5 yards behind the rest of the defence and not stepping out for the first goal. But there are things which are inexcusable no matter what the circumstances. No matter what you think about the quality of players, the one thing we should have is superior fitness and conditioning to come strong late on in games. The reality? We look so weak physically, we've totally collapsed late in games against Arbroath, Cove and East Fife when that should be the part of the game where we actually have some slight advantage against part-time sides. There is a complete lack of intensity or aggression, we look like a team who think they are still playing development league football, which isn't surprising given the personnel. I don't mean aggression as in booting players up and down the park, I just mean players actually competing for the ball, tracking runners and being switched on from set plays. To name two examples - Conroy running behind the guy about to shoot for the 4th goal - has to be seen to be believed, or McIntosh being brushed aside like a twig for the 6th followed by the typical shrug and arms out wide by the entire team. It's pathetic.

The home Stranrear game I thought highlighted where we are going wrong, but also what needs done to improve it. The first 60 minutes in that game until we scored we were everything I described above and were fortunate to be 0-0, we then got a goal and for the last 30 minutes ran all over them by playing with intensity, getting in their faces (or a 'high pressing game' if you want to dress it up) and being more direct. None of those things are anything to do with the quality of players we have, if we play in that manner and still lose then I've no issue with that - we all knew this season would be a struggle. But performances like some of the recent ones are unacceptable and everyone associated with it should be ashamed.

Great to have Lamont, Wilkie, Smith and Duggan together in the team. I think those 4 should be a very effective front 4 in this league. Encouraging that we scored 6 the first time they started together, even if it was against Airdrie.

21 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There is the odd thing that can be put down to lack of experience, like Cairns standing 5 yards behind the rest of the defence and not stepping out for the first goal.

Eh?    I've watched about a million times and can't for the life of me see what you are talking about.   Have a look at the movement (if you can call it that) from McDonald and Watt at that one.

But there are things which are inexcusable no matter what the circumstances. No matter what you think about the quality of players, the one thing we should have is superior fitness and conditioning to come strong late on in games. The reality? We look so weak physically, we've totally collapsed late in games against Arbroath, Cove and East Fife when that should be the part of the game where we actually have some slight advantage against part-time sides.

IMO,  there's nothing majorly wrong with their fitness,  it's a sheer lack of ability and confidence.   On Saturday we were bested by players with more experience and savvy,  and a management team who could clearly see our weaknesses and played on them (look at the goals when they had players dropping in to spaces know our players wouldn't pick them up.

There is a complete lack of intensity or aggression, we look like a team who think they are still playing development league football, which isn't surprising given the personnel. I don't mean aggression as in booting players up and down the park, I just mean players actually competing for the ball, tracking runners and being switched on from set plays. To name two examples - Conroy running behind the guy about to shoot for the 4th goal - has to be seen to be believed,

Conroy misjudged the bounce,  McGregor failed to shut the shooter down and turned his back too!    Again, we failed to deal with a routine ball into our box.

or McIntosh being brushed aside like a twig for the 6th followed by the typical shrug and arms out wide by the entire team. It's pathetic.

McIntosh didn't get shrugged off.   Like several other goals we conceded by a variety of players,  McIntosh was guilty of ballwatching.  The EF player easily got in on his blindside.  You make is sound like he's physically weak,  he's not,  his technique,  like many of his teammates is terrible when it comes to defending.    A simple improvement of technique through proper analysis and coaching and he could be a tremendous player.  McIntosh's only other mistake on the highlights was his involvement in the 3rd.  Our defenders are trying to play zonally,  the left winger dropped between our lines to get possession without any pressure from us.   That looks to me to be a team philosophy though.

We have no real game plan and the players aren't good enough or experienced enough to make it up as they go.   Speaking to other coaches,  it's not a difficult task to target our weaknesses.  This isn't new, or on Stevie F,  this has been brewing for a while.   He has such a thin squad to work with,  the injuries to David Brownlie has impacted him horrendously.  Brownlie missed the games v. Arbroath, Cove and E. Fife.  16 goals lost in 3 games.     I noticed at Alloa due to the acoustics, just how well Brownlie organised the team (he's the one leader we have).  

It's a terrible situation and the blame rests heavily on the Ballantynes and Wotherspoons shoulders.   There isn't a lot we can do in the next month or so but when the consortium do get control, we need to concentrate on proper coaching and leadership from the top down.    The failures of the young players is NOT on them,  whether it be loanees or our own.    

We should be encouraging those boys (and Findlay) as best we can to get through this spell.

McIntosh didn't get shrugged off.   Like several other goals we conceded by a variety of players,  McIntosh was guilty of ballwatching.  The EF player easily got in on his blindside.  You make is sound like he's physically weak,  he's not,  his technique,  like many of his teammates is terrible when it comes to defending.    A simple improvement of technique through proper analysis and coaching and he could be a tremendous player.  McIntosh's only other mistake on the highlights was his involvement in the 3rd.  Our defenders are trying to play zonally,  the left winger dropped between our lines to get possession without any pressure from us.   That looks to me to be a team philosophy though.
We have no real game plan and the players aren't good enough or experienced enough to make it up as they go.   Speaking to other coaches,  it's not a difficult task to target our weaknesses.  This isn't new, or on Stevie F,  this has been brewing for a while.   He has such a thin squad to work with,  the injuries to David Brownlie has impacted him horrendously.  Brownlie missed the games v. Arbroath, Cove and E. Fife.  16 goals lost in 3 games.     I noticed at Alloa due to the acoustics, just how well Brownlie organised the team (he's the one leader we have).  
It's a terrible situation and the blame rests heavily on the Ballantynes and Wotherspoons shoulders.   There isn't a lot we can do in the next month or so but when the consortium do get control, we need to concentrate on proper coaching and leadership from the top down.    The failures of the young players is NOT on them,  whether it be loanees or our own.    
We should be encouraging those boys (and Findlay) as best we can to get through this spell.

Carefull touchedbymadness , don't go defending those boys , you've bound to saw the grief I've had for doing it lol [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

13 minutes ago, #GSC said:

Carefull touchedbymadness , don't go defending those boys , you've bound to saw the grief I've had for doing it lol emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

mate,  at least you're now honest that you're touchy if your boy gets blamed,  you're a parent of a very young man,   can't blame you for that,  it's better than previously when making out you weren't and we could all see through it, but I'd advise you don't get too close and don't pay too much attention,  we all make ill-informed judgements, we're football fans at the end of the day and we all deserve our say, even if it's utter nonsense like the majority.    It really is best to step back a bit, it'll only inflame things more.   I do appreciate your input but keep it arms length and see it that this is a fans forum.

mate,  at least you're now honest that you're touchy if your boy gets blamed,  you're a parent of a very young man,   can't blame you for that,  it's better than previously when making out you weren't and we could all see through it, but I'd advise you don't get too close and don't pay too much attention,  we all make ill-informed judgements, we're football fans at the end of the day and we all deserve our say, even if it's utter nonsense like the majority.    It really is best to step back a bit, it'll only inflame things more.   I do appreciate your input but keep it arms length and see it that this is a fans forum.

I'm not touchy mate, but I will defend my son if someone says something that's wrong. Believe me when I tell you I've roasted my son in the past when he's done wrong and fucked up.
My initial post though wasn't about my son but about all the boys, and from reading your recent posts you're in the same frame of mind as me. Three experienced players is all your team needs right now, and you'd see a difference, or play certain players in different positions .

20 minutes ago, #GSC said:

I'm not touchy mate, but I will defend my son if someone says something that's wrong. Believe me when I tell you I've roasted my son in the past when he's done wrong and fucked up.
My initial post though wasn't about my son but about all the boys, and from reading your recent posts you're in the same frame of mind as me. Three experienced players is all your team needs right now, and you'd see a difference, or play certain players in different positions .

The "get 3 experienced players" line though is easier said than done.   There will be new owners by mid jan but for now we have literally NO outside options.  Rearranging the deckchairs is our only option at present.   I threw my tuppenceworth in yesterday further up the thread,  I think it makes sense.

Archived