Peterhead v Dumbarton

aftershocker

To all the sons fans who feared the worst with Peterhead scoring 20 odd goals this year .
you can all go to bed now cause WE Won.

We had a total of 7 players unavailable tonight (Nade, McLaughlin, Dick, Gallagher, Stewart, Nesbit and Wardrop). Peterhead had won their last 8 games. We had 0 wins in 6.

I'm not sure there was anything odd about the pre match predictions that Peterhead would win, midweek, at Balmoor. The bookies had them as clear favourites as well. No doubt it was a decent result but the pre match predictions were realistic and justified IMO.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That will be me you're referring to. It was a good win tonight, that is beyond debate, but my point is that we cannot get carried away for the simple reason that the last three home games have highlighted that without our best eleven on the park we can't compete, never mind win.

That is no-ones fault but it's grim to watch and the plain truth is that Livvy, the Pars and the Buddies won easily, especially the latter; in that context I made the comment about the four particular players.

With respect, you should not confuse realism with negativity. All I ever ask of Sons is that we compete and we've a great record of doing that in the last six seasons.

Not solely aimed at yourself. I agree that realism has to be in all sons fans minds at all times. I have done my utmost - and always will - to not get carried away with what Dumbarton achieve. But I also maintain that I will continue to do my best to be positive about things.

If we end up in the play offs this year I will approach them with the same mind, if we use the quality we have, then we can win them. If we do go down, there will be big changes to things around the sons, of that there is no debating. But I still don't think I would feel too downbeat.

We have enjoyed a great run which I hope continues into next season and beyond. We don't actually have any entitlement to have done what we have in the last 5 years or so. I'm still hoping our league form can pick up and we can be competitive for the rest of the season. But I'm not assuming the worst before it has happened.

Excellent result tonight with a depleted squad. Very cool and composed finishing from Seagal, especially his first and a very clever, flick header from Beany for the other. The other Gal made some excellent stops, his goal-kicking not so much. After scoring the third, we fell completely out of the game, although this coincided with Peterhead's substitutional changes and if anything the wind strengthening in their favour. Looked as though Dougie Hill will be added to the injured list, with Carswell seeing out the game at right back and Smith  swopping to the left. It would be handy if Wardrop can return for Saturday.

Just seems a bit like even when we’ve won tonight some fans doing their best to pick the negatives out of it 

I’m sure over the coming weeks we have tough games ahead with squad but if we play like Oct/nov rather than January maybe some hope??

No disrespect to Dumbarton but we were really poor last night and gave away some very cheap goals.

Dumbrton defended well though and for all our chances we never really seemed likely to score from open play.

Also the referee was pump. but I am not surprised he wasn't giving us anything with the way our players were carrying on.

Just now, NewBlue said:

No disrespect to Dumbarton but we were really poor last night and gave away some very cheap goals.

Dumbrton defended well though and for all our chances we never really seemed likely to score from open play.

Also the referee was pump. but I am not surprised he wasn't giving us anything with the way our players were carrying on.

Most teams don't against us. We just concede a staggering amount from dead balls - 20 of the 41 we've let in this season to be precise.

3 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

Just seems a bit like even when we’ve won tonight some fans doing their best to pick the negatives out of it 

I’m sure over the coming weeks we have tough games ahead with squad but if we play like Oct/nov rather than January maybe some hope??

Of course we have hope, I don't think anyone on here has lost all hope. I think we're actually among the most realistic fans on here, we never really get carried away even when we're on a good run. Scoring 3 goals is great last night, progressing into the next round is even better, but I don't see a problem with people giving their opinion on what, by all accounts, was a bit of a backs to the wall job despite us scoring 3 goals and having a 2 goal lead for most of the second half.  Picking out negatives and fixing them is how we improve and fans will always have opinions on where to improve. It's healthy IMO.

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

The point I was making though, is that you have been scoring for fun recently and the fact that we are 2 league above is a big part of why you couldn't match our 3 goals. We are good defensively (apart from at set pieces) and a team who have scored at least 4 in every game since before Christmas only managed half of that.

Furthermore, there's the fact that we scored with each of our decent chances and I think it just backs up the difference in level/quality in the squad.

There's no doubting we were depleted as a squad but we still had enough. I also think it shows that Calum Gallagher isn't as completely useless as much of our support thinks.

5 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Furthermore, there's the fact that we scored with each of our decent chances and I think it just backs up the difference in level/quality in the squad.

Don't disagree with that at all. I said at the time that your defence wasn't making the kind of mistakes that we normally capitalise on and we were punished for some shoddy mistakes when normally we might not be, it was just frustrating as I think we could have gotten a result last night, but that is football.

For me it was good to play someone different but we need to concentrate on the league so hopefully we learn the lessons and move on.

I also think it shows that Calum Gallagher isn't as completely useless as much of our support thinks.

As I mentioned on the thread for the Livi game, Gallagher's 2 best games have come against Raith and Peterhead who are in the leagues below us. I don't even know if he played well last night but 2 goals is the more than he's contributed in a half season of league games.

I'd be delighted to see him prove me wrong but 2 good games out of god knows how many still doesn't mean he's good enough for the Championship. He'd still be nowhere near my starting 11. Neither would Wilson or Johnstone for that matter.

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As I mentioned on the thread for the Livi game, Gallagher's 2 best games have come against Raith and Peterhead who are in the leagues below us. I don't even know if he played well last night but 2 goals is the more than he's contributed in a half season of league games.

I'd be delighted to see him prove me wrong but 2 good games out of god knows how many still doesn't mean he's good enough for the Championship. He'd still be nowhere near my starting 11. Neither would Wilson or Johnstone for that matter.

You've kinda answered the question I was going to ask there. Do we have a better alternative? I accept that he probably just doesn't have enough quality for this level. But he always gives everything. I'd say he's a modern day Iain Chisholm.

We don't really have a better option until we sign Cristiano Ronaldo on deadline day.

Archived