Peterhead v Dumbarton

aftershocker

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

They can share the bus up with Dumbarton emoji1.png

It could turn into a nightmare depending on the weather, don't know about original ties but think cup replays take precedence over league matches so if not played on Tuesday it could be moved to next Saturday meaning another back-logged league fixture.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Now set for this coming Tuesday @7.45,  do not see how this helps us as most of our players are from the central belt or further south. Not sure if its sheet ice that's on the pitch or what but surprized there seemed to be nothing done earlier to try & give it a chance.

Thats my point really..didnt seem to be much done to get it go ahead.

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

Certainly a number of times in the past the pitch has been cleared, once for an Elgin game where the whole park was covered in ice, the game went ahead, a few weeks back the pitch was cleared of snow on the Friday with the game called off Saturday morning when the frost set in. Have not been near Balmoor in the last few days but would have expected some attempt to be made to give the game a chance. Being off is obviously going affect hospitality time off work for players & a smaller crowd so nothing good really.

Peterhead would’ve wanted the game played tomorrow, of that I have no doubt. A fair number of their players will be central based (are Willie Gibson and Greg Fleming still further south too?) so it doesn’t suit them. Knowing from DumbartonRock what goes into making a pitch playable too, I’m not sure they could’ve done much either.

It’s an outcome that isn’t ideal for either party, but hey-ho. It is January after all.

Guest TOPFITTER

Ah !!! a Balmy 6 degrees Tuesday Night at Balmoor, with only a hint of wind (15mph),  like playing at Camp Nou compared to the Stirling match. The most important fact is I can make this date :thumsup2:thumsup2:thumsup2. The only real question for me is, There and Back in a oner or a stop-over, better check with my travelling companions on that, see you all there :)

No surprise that the game is off.

Some fans will complain that the game was called off early. For anybody having to travel a fair distance for the match, it's the right decision. Especially with the weather warning and current snow over much of the central belt, making travelling conditions difficult and dangerous.

Midweek alternative is unfortunate. Livi v Falkirk is also off tomorrow. It would have been ideal had we been able to play our league game v Livi this week and have both cup games on the Saturday but that wouldn't work for Peterhead who have an away trip to Clyde that Saturday for league business.

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

23 hours ago, strichener said:

I'm not sure if you are serious or not but it isn't snow, it's ice.

The temperature hasn't been much above freezing for the last few days.  I am not sure what you expect our team of highly paid professional full-time groundsmen to do (who obviously only exist in my head)?????

I suppose we could have just turned on the undersoil heating. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, strichener said:

The temperature hasn't been much above freezing for the last few days.  I am not sure what you expect our team of highly paid professional full-time groundsmen to do (who obviously only exist in my head)?????

I suppose we could have just turned on the undersoil heating. :rolleyes:

Fair doos but had the snow been cleared would the pitch then have frozen?Most folk see a white pitch and think they just need to get the snow off it.Temperature on the ground is obviously the main factor.

Expecting Dumbarton fans to go to Peterhead on a Tuesday night or the part time players of Dumbarton and Peterhead to get to the game shows the sheer stupidity of arranging cup games in January. Has no body noticed the weather in Scotland tends to be really crappy in January. Let’s do the players fans and groundskeepers a favour and hold the competition over until March when the weather is just a little bit less crappy. I am sure that by March the weather in Peterhead is almost tropical.

2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Fair doos but had the snow been cleared would the pitch then have frozen?Most folk see a white pitch and think they just need to get the snow off it.Temperature on the ground is obviously the main factor.

Don't think there was any snow involved,  has been a bit unclear whether there was a covering of ice or the actual ground was frozen probably the right decision with regard to travel etc just a bit disappointed given the forecast some attempt was not  made midweek to be proactive.

Expecting Dumbarton fans to go to Peterhead on a Tuesday night or the part time players of Dumbarton and Peterhead to get to the game shows the sheer stupidity of arranging cup games in January. Has no body noticed the weather in Scotland tends to be really crappy in January. Let’s do the players fans and groundskeepers a favour and hold the competition over until March when the weather is just a little bit less crappy. I am sure that by March the weather in Peterhead is almost tropical.

We'd just be having league matches called off this weekend instead and they'd be rearranged for midweek. If the cup was held back until March, there would be five rounds being played in the space of two months. And as it can also snow in March, think of the fixture congestion we could then have. There's nothing wrong with the current timetable!

9 hours ago, peternapper said:

It could turn into a nightmare depending on the weather, don't know about original ties but think cup replays take precedence over league matches so if not played on Tuesday it could be moved to next Saturday meaning another back-logged league fixture.

They dont take preference over Saturday League games but would over any midweek ones. Two attempts per midweek after the first rearrangement until it gets played. Usually Monday / Wednesday though it can be Tuesday / Wednesfay if the clubs agree it.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They dont take preference over Saturday League games but would over any midweek ones. Two attempts per midweek after the first rearrangement until it gets played. Usually Monday / Wednesday though it can be Tuesday / Wednesfay if the clubs agree it.

Was not right sure but a few seasons back we were due to play Annan in the league on the Saturday they either had a cup replay or tie that was played on the Saturday with our league game moved to a Tuesday night remember arguing at the time that surely a scheduled league game should have priority but was told this was not the case.

Archived