Scottish Juniors BOOK - I need your help!

Hallelluhwah

5 hours ago, Marlowe said:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82866453

This is a map location for Kilbirnie Ladeside's former ground before their  move to Valefield Park

It's much nearer Kilbirnie Town Centre, I'm guessing it's where the small industrial units now are, but I'll check

There's a private housing estate built upon the former ground. It is just next to the industrial units though.

Someone from Dalry can confirm this but I'm sure when I lived in the town I was told on numerous occasions that Dalry Juniors started off on what is now the public park across the road from Merksworth.

Tried to upload a photo but you can find it on Google Streetview.

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Someone from Dalry can confirm this but I'm sure when I lived in the town I was told on numerous occasions that Dalry Juniors started off on what is now the public park across the road from Merksworth.

Tried to upload a photo but you can find it on Google Streetview.

I can't find any sign of a former location for a football ground but the current location was used in 1938 and Merksworth Avenue was already built up with housing.   They had a Quoiting ground at the end of Templand Road and a Public  Park with a Tennis Court and although I can't find details I know that I played Amateur football in the 60s there.

Dalry FC Park 1938.png

Stevenston again, around 1909 the Football Ground was close to the Ardoch Crescent nearer to Ardeer Square towards the sea-side of the town.  On the map of that time there was no Ardeer Rec ground or tennis courts and no Football Park in front of Ardchoille House and East Hayocks.

Stevenston Football Ground 1909.png

Ardrossan Football ground 1909, where later the Shell Refinery complex was built and now demolished, the ground sanitised, and new housing being built on it.

I read in the threetowns website and in links to a football history site that Ardrossan had several teams, one of which was Ardrossan Celtic.   Winton Rovers would probably be named because of their location at the top of Winton Street. 

Ardrossan 1909 ground.png

8 hours ago, Oak Lee said:

I’ve got some  old photographs from my time at Benarty but don’t know how to put them on here.

Welcome Oak Lee.   There are as many ways to skin a cat as to putting pictures on Pie & Bovril.  If you are using a Desktop pc then  you should already have an Image Manipulation program, usually referred as ' Photoshopping' but only in the same way that one refers to ' Hoovering' even if you are using a Dyson.

The best FREE program is paint.org and although you have to learn how to use it, it is straightforward.  Here is one method.

Have the picture on your Screen and press and hold the Shift key (Up arrow) and simultaneously press the Print Screen button, (Prnt Scrn).   This puts the image into Copy & Paste memory store.

Open your Image program and click on Edit and from the drop down menu select Paste.

If you get a panel offering to Expand  the image area choose Yes.

Look at your Tools panel and select the Rectangular shape.   Choose the part of the image you want  and put the cursor at the top left point and hold down your left mouse button and drag the rectangle to the bottom right.

Then click on the View or Image Tab at the top of the screen and select 'Crop to Selection'.

There are many ways to enhance or improve your Image but if it looks OK then continue...

Press File and from the drop down menu select ' Save-As' and when you click it you will get a mini window panel offering you the chance to Reduce the image size and number of pixels so you are not going to have to Upload a large picture file.

You should  Create a Folder in My Documents and call it Football Pictures and Save your image in that folder with a sensible name .. you can leave it as a PNG file or change it to Jpeg or JPG or BMP, or even TIFF, but PNG is fine.

When you Sign in to P&B you can  choose Reply to Topic and Type in your message and Explain what your picture is about ...

Then,  notice the Paper Clip symbol and 'Drag files here to attach, or ___choose files ...'  and select 'choose files '   Go to your Football Pictures folder and when it opens you simply click on the picture you want to upload.

Then press Submit Reply and Hey Presto! You've done it.

Of course, if you're using a mobile .... that's another story ... time for bed, said Zebedee ....

20 hours ago, Marlowe said:

I can't find any sign of a former location for a football ground but the current location was used in 1938 and Merksworth Avenue was already built up with housing.   They had a Quoiting ground at the end of Templand Road and a Public  Park with a Tennis Court and although I can't find details I know that I played Amateur football in the 60s there.

Dalry FC Park 1938.png

Don't believe Dalry Thistle played anywhere else but Merksworth. The ground across the road is Putyan and was/is an amateur ground namely for team called Rye Rovers in '60s and '70s. There was a team called Dalry Rangers but pretty sure they played in Blair scheme.

Not strictly on topic but it is an unusual lost ground from the amateur ranks:
2ur420g.jpg
242hhlz.jpg
2z4dyiq.jpg
Stopped by today, perhaps unused since mid 80s? Anyone work out where it is? The goalposts are still evident though my pics are rubbish.

Going by your travels the last few weeks, it could be anywhere in the West of Scotland!!!!!

Archived