QoS vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I thought it was one of our better home performances this season especially in the context of the season. I thought we certainly deserved a draw so losing by such a crap goal is a bit of a gut punch.

Naysmith made some wild tactical calls that somehow worked out, playing 3 at the back came out of nowhere. putting Dykes to centre mid to deal with Osman worked out well as he broke play up and was able to get a foot on the ball pinging 30 yard hollywood passes. Rooney at centre half is going to cause countless heart attacks when he bombs forward and starts pressing the opposition goalkeeper  but he was terrific . Fergusson put in a fair shift and whilst he got lucky with the goal (I'm still confused how that went in) but he showed great pace and strength to get in that situation.

I can see why Thistle have struggled this season, they play some nice stuff but lacked a fair bit of end product and their defence seemed to be very jittery. Certainly felt they were quite flat for most of the game so there is a sense of a missed opportunity there. Certainly didn't threaten Martin much before the goal. I think the break showed as they scored late in both halves whilst we've

Defensively conceding 2 goals through the middle of a back 3 is just unacceptable especially when we defended quite well and the wide threat. As a team we certainly tired towards the end and went too deep but I thought for the most part we played with a great energy and really worked hard for each other especially after such a busy period with  thin squad. There was a few communication issues with the back three and Martin is just a mess. I don't mind him not coming but it's when he hesitates and causes unnecessary nervous moments with the back 3/4.

As a summary it's certainly a case of the operation was a success but the patient died about the game today. Not feeling the season's over chat, it was a fairly encouraging performance and hopefully with players coming back and some signings we still aren't a million miles away imo.

Also in a controversial hot take, i thought Willie Collum had a very good game today, makes a big difference having a ref that actually lets the game flow rather than being officious.

Thought we were going to get something out of that today, ah well we'll just have to focus on the play-off places. 

Looking for a positive, Brechin will never second guess our format or lineup for next week.

I'm not sure where this back 3 comes from to me looked liked a back 4 with Beerman, Brownlie, Fordyce and Rooney. Thought the manager got things pretty spot on for the first hour. Thought both Ferguson and Dykes were immense. Fergusson had look about him of a forward taking up good positions, closing down and holding the ball up well. Dykes had best game I have see him this season, dare I say looked more composed in midfield.

The change in game was when Fordyce came off but you could see he had started to struggle then Fergusson and Beerman both ran out of legs and needed changing.

Good cup tie thought we were better team first half but Thistle much better second half. Dobbie went close in first half several times but wasn't involved in second and there were two tantalising crosses in second half that looked easier to score than miss the ball, one from each side.

Lyle wasn't in squad because he was injured not cos he was dropped

17 minutes ago, queenslad said:

I'm not sure where this back 3 comes from to me looked liked a back 4 with Beerman, Brownlie, Fordyce and Rooney. Thought the manager got things pretty spot on for the first hour. Thought both Ferguson and Dykes were immense. Fergusson had look about him of a forward taking up good positions, closing down and holding the ball up well. Dykes had best game I have see him this season, dare I say looked more composed in midfield.

The change in game was when Fordyce came off but you could see he had started to struggle then Fergusson and Beerman both ran out of legs and needed changing.

Good cup tie thought we were better team first half but Thistle much better second half. Dobbie went close in first half several times but wasn't involved in second and there were two tantalising crosses in second half that looked easier to score than miss the ball, one from each side.

Lyle wasn't in squad because he was injured not cos he was dropped

The manager got the team spot on today and deserves some credit certainly deserved a draw there was a back 3 of Rooney Brownlie & Fordyce with wing backs Beerman + Mercer midfield of Thomson Dykes + Rankin with 2 forwards Ferguson + Dobbie. They performed very well up until they tired out with lack of match fitness of Fordyce Beerman + Ferguson taking its toll. Was Lyle at the match? Never seen him.

Disappointing defeat today but there were positives today and the return of our injured players to the squad with maybe the addition of another striker (never saw Lyle today?) we will be around the top 4.

Was Lyle at the match? Never seen him.

Can anyone tell him if Lyle was at the game? He clearly needs to know.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Cramp after so long without a match. He was struggling at half time.

Fair enough.  He didn't look much like it though and he seemed to need an explanation from Naysmith when he came off.

Overall, I don't get the stuff people are saying about us shading it.  I feel that for something over seventy minutes, it was pretty even, but that Thistle totally dominated a chunk of the second half and their pressure made a goal feel kind of inevitable, even though they'd not created a ton of chances.

Lots of endeavour today, but we still lack guile and have too many mistakes in us.  

If that was a boxing match I think we'd just about have nicked it on points. I think we edged it over the 90 minutes but the ebbs and flows over the game could have gone either way and with 10 minutes to go I'd certainly have taken a draw. God bless the fish though, I am fully behind his backstory of becoming a cult hero.

1 hour ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Good to see the years have not diminished SD's belief that Queens are the greatest team the world has ever seen. 

What, because I thought we edged a decent cup tie narrowly on chances and play? You are making a bit of a leap there. Monkey Tennis thinks Thistle edged it over the piece. Its fair enough. I was hardly grand larceny that Thistle won it but it could easily have gone the other way and a draw would have been fair. 

Funnily enough we are far from the greatest team the world has ever seen. We arent even close to being the best team in the Championship either (that would be St Mirren). We are a young squad though struggling with a few injuries at the moment and with performances somewhat mixed. Today was decent but against a Premiership side we didnt quite get it done. 

Just saw the goals there. What in the hell was Rankin doing there? Almost as bad as Stelios for St Mirren earlier on. The first looked offside but that was only at first glance. I thought the defender hit the ball off Fergusson but will need to see that again as well.

Said earlier that Rankin had knowbody within 5 yards of him when he headed across the box to the Thistle player for the 2nd goal, first goal was just onside and Ferguson's goal came from him blocking a strong clearance from Keown and ricocheting into the net.

Archived