QoS vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

28 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Round perimeter than strip up middle lots of snow piled up around surrounds of pitch.

I had a look in just now.

The entire pitch has been cleared of snow and it's all banked up round the edge.  You'd assume they know what they're doing.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We dont have pitch covers. The ones we had were sold to Morton when the 3G was installed. They were the special ones made in mesh form to use trapped air to keep the frost off. They were a bit like a fishing net and would have served precisely no benefit with snow anyway.

The pitch is cleared of snow and there doesnt appear to be any more forecast for here before the match.

And for Flash's benefit he will be happy to know we have plastic snow shovels.

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

The club has or used to have pitch covers.  They were our prevention against frost when we still had a grass pitch.  I would have thought they still had a use with a 3G pitch but I could be wrong hence my original question.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We dont have pitch covers. The ones we had were sold to Morton when the 3G was installed. They were the special ones made in mesh form to use trapped air to keep the frost off. They were a bit like a fishing net and would have served precisely no benefit with snow anyway.

The pitch is cleared of snow and there doesnt appear to be any more forecast for here before the match.

And for Flash's benefit he will be happy to know we have plastic snow shovels.

So, the pitch covers would still have been of benefit for frost, which was the original point?

Good news about the plastic shovels, though. 

3 hours ago, Flash said:

So, the pitch covers would still have been of benefit for frost, which was the original point?

Good news about the plastic shovels, though. 

The 3G doesnt freeze until about -5C anyway which is beyond the extent of the covers usefulness. Notwithstanding Craig Thomson's definition of a 'slippy' pitch, the pitch hasnt once frozen since we got it. The covers would achieve nothing.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Pitch should be ok, just hope the M74 is ok for the players fans etc travelling to Palmerston tomorrow. Lots of snow falling Abington down Moffat.

That was my thought also with Partick travelling from Glasgow... See what happens overnight and in the morning. 

3 hours ago, Fan321 said:

That was my thought also with Partick travelling from Glasgow... See what happens overnight and in the morning. 

See, that's what the problem is.     We're heading off in about four hours.       At what point will someone see what happens overnight and in the morning?

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The 3G doesnt freeze until about -5C anyway which is beyond the extent of the covers usefulness. Notwithstanding Craig Thomson's definition of a 'slippy' pitch, the pitch hasnt once frozen since we got it. The covers would achieve nothing.

That isn’t what it says in those articles, however they may be wrong. 

The pitch hasn’t frozen since we got it due to a combination of mild winters, with no lengthy really cold periods, and not having games following nights of severe frost. And/or they may have used salt on it. If they had kept the covers, they wouldn’t need the salt. Or the salt could be used after the covers were lifted. And we don’t even know if they used it for the Dundee U game, so perhaps if they had, it wouldn’t have been slippy.

Are the articles also wrong when they say snow shouldn’t be cleared with any kind of shovel to a depth lower than 5cm because it could damage the pitch?

2 carriages for several hundred Thistle fans plus ordinary punters trying to get to Barrhead, Kilmarnock and elsewhere.
What a laugh that’ll be.
I look forward to the regular battles for the single toilet after being two cans down.

11 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Looks like the pitch is fine and the game goes ahead , much to a few ‘fans’ disappointment

The disappointment won’t be with the game going ahead. The disappointment will be if the pitch has been damaged in the process. However, that is something we can only speculate on because we won’t be able to tell whether it has been damaged or not. Quite why not wanting to damage the pitch, with the potential for costly repairs or replacement, makes me less of a fan is a little bit puzzling.

If they have done everything “by the book” and it is all fine that’s great. I don’t see how expressing concern about it, based on articles that appear legit, is a problem.

Archived